Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

New Android app, too.

I assume no uploads for raw files, though.

Makes Adobe's 20gb look pretty puny in comparison.

ABC News - Yahoo refreshes Flickr

May 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

I'm more annoyed by the increased dependence on javascript (which I hate) than the free space, since I was happy to pay the "pro" subscription rate. Technically they are unrelated, but they rolled out a site redesign at the same time they announced the account change.

May 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

I like the new layout, but not sure the pro account is worth it now, depending on the level of ads they will be throwing at the free users.

May 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Better late than never I guess...

May 21, 2013 at 01:00 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Visually, it is interesting. Having said that, I understand that Flickr has to change, but it's a mite confusing, trying to understand/parse the language they use to describe what happens if you have (had?) a "pro" account.

http://www.flickr.com/pro

1. To me, it sounds like you'll merely pay for the traces and statistics, but have the old "unlimited" storage in lieu of a 1 terabyte cap. Not that I would ever use Flickr as an archive...

2. It's unclear if users' rights have been changed/"updated" in any way?

3. What does this "recurring subscription" mean for an existing "pro" account holder?

4. On an unrelated note, with the justified image layout and "lotsa" javascript, I'm not sure my home internet connection will work well with the new format. I don't know if there's an option to mitigate that. Previously, opening a group (which had the new format already) would cause my page to slow to a crawl. What can Flickr do about that?

I put a lot of effort into a Flickr account over the past few years and a feature I'd really like, is something that lets me "migrate" the data to a download in case I decide to change the nature of my account (e.g. close it, make it private, etc. etc.) Essentially, some portability of all the titles, geo-location, comments, statistics - I'd like to be able to preserve that data outside of Flickr's system, if that day came.

May 21, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

How slow are your computers and/or internet connections that Javascript is slowing you down?

May 21, 2013 at 04:55 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

GC5 wrote:
I like the new layout, but not sure the pro account is worth it now, depending on the level of ads they will be throwing at the free users.

So far one ad on a few pages, "Groups", "Main", "Upload", "Explore"... ie. less than Fredmiranda has.
So far nothing on "Your Photostream" or others...
So I'm fine with this current amount of advertising as it's not distracting.

Re. Java, by the end of 2014 we will see HTML 5 rolled out and the need for Java will be reduced.

May 21, 2013 at 05:22 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

1 terabyte of storage for free is nothing to sniff at.

Love the new look of it too.

May 21, 2013 at 05:44 AM
nle57
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

I still want the ability to search or find sets. I have about 430 something odd sets, and sifting through them is a pain. People are right, with 1tb, the pro account may not be worth it anymore. I've been with them really early on (since 2005). I think the lack of ads and stats though make it seem somewhat worth it to me, but they may need to differentiate the pro rate some more, at least IMO

May 21, 2013 at 06:44 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Moreover, I dislike, like, the "Google-lization" of the interface where important settings, features or options are hidden, in the name of promoting a purportedly clean, clear interface. Without pointing fingers, I think the trend of form over function sucks major "forever unblinking brown eye" and it's a systemic movement occurring all over the place as content-rich sites try to collapse their screen real estate into something that will function "better" on content-consumption devices, to the probably detriment of those of us who are still married, for better or worse, to content-creation devices.

Witness: at home I "roll" with my stonkin' "huge" mid-ATX tower and 30" monitor, with anything but a "phat pipe" for an internet connection. The new Flickr simply doesn't work that well on my setup, both from the download standpoint and me witnessing data on the screen when it finally DOES arrive.

But, I'm in minority, as I often seem to be these days.

I feel old and irrelevant, and I'm not even forty. \\/\//TF L0LZ NO()B$@uC3 B|3Q, Y()? PW|\|+ bY F|_][C[]<R!!!

May 21, 2013 at 08:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

taran
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

It's a little disconcerting, but change is good I guess. Hopefully the API will still work with my Apple TV. I am used to having clients come by and their photos from their shoot magically appearing on my huge bigscreen TV with a Ken Burns effect. Clients really love this. Same thing for a gallery used to having a huge TV in the window... will the new flickr photostream include ads?

If it does I will be forced to employ a different solution.

May 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

This is definitely a welcomed changed, been a Flickr user for a long time and like the change so far. Looks like Marissa listened to the continuity and delivered.

May 21, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

LightShow wrote:
Re. Java, by the end of 2014 we will see HTML 5 rolled out and the need for Java will be reduced.

It's Javascript, not Java--2 very different things. And if you think Javascript is going away when HTML 5 becomes standard you're in for a big surprise.

The new design is certainly pretty but navigating it will take some getting used to. I'm not a heavy Flickr user so I'm not feeling the pain as much as many of you are, I'm sure.

May 21, 2013 at 03:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

How do you bring up collections?? All I see it it either dumps all sets at you randomly (not organized by collections) or all photos at once!

May 21, 2013 at 06:47 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Eyeball wrote:
New Android app, too.

I assume no uploads for raw files, though.

Makes Adobe's 20gb look pretty puny in comparison.

ABC News - Yahoo refreshes Flickr

But, when I signed up, Flickr's agreement said it was UNLIMITED storage space. Now it has become LIMITED? WTF!

May 21, 2013 at 07:12 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

mshi wrote:
But, when I signed up, Flickr's agreement said it was UNLIMITED storage space. Now it has become LIMITED? WTF!

Perhaps a little research is required before going off about stuff.

May 22, 2013 at 02:06 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

I don't like the new layout at all, I hate the forced black background (although a tweak or two in Chrome gets rid of that). It's so slow it's not funny, and the full screen slideshow seems to be broken for me at least. I'll only use the website for grabbing a link, for browsing I'll just use FlickStackr which is much faster.

May 22, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Tom K. wrote:
1 terabyte of storage for free is nothing to sniff at.

Love the new look of it too.

+1

May 23, 2013 at 07:00 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flickr revamps / Ups storage to 1 tera

Meh, the main reason I use Flickr is for easy sharing to friends and family. They're all now asking what I've done to the website

May 24, 2013 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password