New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

wmas1960

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

I work for a municipality and we are looking for a software that we can use to catalog and archive our collection of photos. I am the one that shoots most of the photos for the city but there are some images that pre-date my being here or are taken by other staff and even hired out to outside professionals. We are looking for something, ala Lightroom, I guess, where staff can search Network Drives for available photos to use in their work, presentations or publications. We mainly need something that would allow someone to insert some description of what they need and locate available photos that match those criteria. We need something that can be used by multiple users over multiple computers and several locations around the city.

I envision something that can program metadata to a photo that would contain the date, name of photographer, names of subjects, events and any other criteria that might be helpful in locating and properly crediting or captioning a photo.

I don't know that we really need the ability to edit the photos with this application. If a user could locate photos and copy them to their project folders, and drop into Powerpoint, Edit in Photoshop, upload to the website, distribute in emails or send to printers or media, etc., that, would be helpful. Right now I put all my photos in a folder on a network drive in sub folders that help people find current photos. They simply copy off the photos that they need. Problem is that the collection is getting a little large and is, somewhat, cumbersome in finding something specific that someone might need.

Is there anything out there that might fit these needs? Also, the software MUST be PC compatable, as that is what the city wide network is.

Thanks for any assistance and suggestions.

May 20, 2013 at 03:38 PM
wmas1960

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

No thoughts or experience from anyone? A thought was posed by a co-worker. There is a possibility that they might be agreeable to Internet storage. We are looking for something that would operate with a level of professionalism and with the number of photos being large, cost of storage space would have to be affordable as budget is a big concern. Thanks...

Jun 01, 2013 at 10:39 AM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

Just a couple of observations that may help:

As with any database implementation, somebody will have to come up with a forward-looking and consistent categorization/keyword strategy, and then somebody will have the unenviable task of entering all those tags/keywords. As I have been one who has more than once proposed a database solution, and thus ended up being that somebody I suggest that your absolutely highest priority be placed on a solution that somehow simplifies those up-front tasks!

There are more photo database programs than the proverbial stick can be shaken at, some are even free (and probably worth every penny) but my experience is too narrow to make a recommendation. But you should definitely look at well established and well supported professional generic file database applications as well. You want something that is readily supportable, else guess who will have to do it forever?

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:40 PM
dmendlik
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

extensis portfolio does what you are looking to do.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Mardon Erbland
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Archive and Catalog Software

Hi wmas1960,

I suggest you consider Daminion Server. I've been participating in a public Beta development process but the software is now going into commercial release. It can do what you've described in your initial post (and lots more if needed). I like it so well that I just posted a personal testimonial to YouTube. You can check it out here:
http://youtu.be/QBd08eHkgP0
IMO it would be well worth your time to try the Daminion demo and make your own decision.

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.