New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weight On Speed Light Head/Mount

travis_smith

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weight On Speed Light Head/Mount

Hey guys...I work on a budget and anytime I can, I try to DIY on certain things. One thing I just completed was a DIY beauty dish. However, I've got a question. The dish is made out of a 18" plastic bowl that I picked up at a home improvement store. The directions call for a 14" bowl, but I've looked high and low and can't find a 14" bowl in my area. Anyway, my question pertains to the weight of the bowl on the mount and head of a SB28 flash.

I don't know what the bowl, insert for the flash, CD case and convex mirror weighs. I'm going to say it is around a 1 lb, but not sure. I'm just wondering if the weight of the bowl is too much for the shoe mount on the flash. How much weight would you guys limit yourself to on attaching to the flash? Any help or information is appreciated....Thanks

Here are pictures of the homemade beauty dish.

May 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weight On Speed Light Head/Mount

I wouldn't hang something that big, let alone that heavy, from my flash head. Instead, I would make some kind of mount that holds the flash and the dish separately.

Here's how it's done on my 20-inch RPS Studio BeautiDish as well as the smaller 11-inch model:

May 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.