New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · X100s Questions

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X100s Questions

Been pondering on ordering one of these especially since the delivery times from Amazon seems to have become more reasonable. I loved my X100 except for some critically bad issues.

How good is Lightroom support now with this tricky sensor?

How much better is AF speed than the X100 in low light? Is it reliable? I've had many AF failures on my X100 in normal indoor light.

Are there still fine detail (foliage) smushing and smearing issues?

Did they tighten down the EC dial?

How quick is the file speed for chimping/deleting?

May 20, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X100s Questions

Lightroom - fine. Amazed how noise free you can get a RAF file at 5000 iso. Pixel Peepers may prefer Aperture but LR works fine for me.

AF - better but not hugely better but the MF is a realistic and fast alternative with focus peaking on.

Foliage - yes a bit at 100% on a monitor (72dpi). At 300dpi in a print, no.

EC dial - yes. No accidents so far.

File speed - fast, and the 0.5 second post shot review is more practical than the x100 1.5 sec so generally you won't need to chimp.

May 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X100s Questions

I think I read that it has phase detect AF?

My 2 biggest problems with the X100 was the EC dial being in a random spot when I pulled it out of the bag and the AF just being a horrible failure in it's #1 use for me, indoor low light.

May 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X100s Questions

Phase Detect works best in good light on the 100S but you asked about low light.

May 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X100s Questions

i'd like to add a question:

when you manually focus, is the focus distance scale in the viewfinder accurate now? i'm wondering how easy zone focusing is with this body, because it's a PITA with the x100.

May 20, 2013 at 01:09 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X100s Questions

FlyPenFly wrote:
Been pondering on ordering one of these especially since the delivery times from Amazon seems to have become more reasonable. I loved my X100 except for some critically bad issues.

How much better is AF speed than the X100 in low light? Is it reliable? I've had many AF failures on my X100 in normal indoor light.

Are there still fine detail (foliage) smushing and smearing issues?

Did they tighten down the EC dial?

How quick is the file speed for chimping/deleting?

1) LR is still smears certain areas, but it's good enough for me most of the time. I output to Accuraw or Aperture if I have a really noticeable smearing issue. The smearing is still noticeable when viewing an image full size on my 23" screen, which isn't exactly huge (something like a 30% crop.) The IQ of the camera is still by biggest hang up, but it depends on a lot of variables, most notably print size.

Also, while LR has the smearing issue, the other converters have weird color artifacts and whatnot that can show up, so none of the converters are fantastic. I basically change converters depending on the scene, which isn't exactly efficient.

2) Lowlight and overall AF is better. It isn't class leading, but it is an improvement.

3) Yep, still smears with LR.

4) EC dial is tighter

5) The overall speed of the camera is much faster.

This is one of my favorite digital cameras that I've used, in terms of handling and use. I don't like X-trans much at all, but I'm trying to take a "who cares!?!?" approach to the IQ, because just about any m4/3 and up sensor should be fine enough for most uses, these days. I still wish that Fuji would go back to Bayer, though.

Goosemang, the zone focusing indicators are still very conservative. If you use several focus distances with zone focusing, you may still have to look them up with a chart or phone app or something.

May 20, 2013 at 02:00 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X100s Questions

thanks, that's helpful. wish they could really nail that down... without a scale on the lens it's weird enough as is.

May 20, 2013 at 02:37 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X100s Questions

I've been researching the X100 and X100s and have found this site to have some great info:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/

I opted to buy a used X100 with which to play, at least until RAW files from Xtrans sensors are better supported (or Fuji just gets rid of them and returns to more traditional and widely supported sensor tech...)

Good luck!

May 20, 2013 at 02:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X100s Questions

FlyPenFly wrote:

Much improved but still a little funky. Its a cool tech, but I honestly liked the old sensor

Its faster, but if you didn't like it before, then your probably not going to like it now, but
...Show more

With a good card, seems plenty quick to me. Never found myself waiting on it.

All in all its a fairly minor evolution from the X100 w/ latest FW. Its a big step up for the X100 as it originally came, but Fuji improved so much along the way. If you didn't like the X100, its not different enough to make you like the X100s

If you enjoyed the X100, you will really like the X100s IMHO

May 20, 2013 at 03:47 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X100s Questions

The manual focusing abilities of the X100s alone make it a pretty significant upgrade over the X100, IMO.

May 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X100s Questions

agreed - the MF ability, the much better EVF and the RAW write times are the three biggest improvements I think, along with having the AF focus point button under the right thumb. Tiny difference but what a change it makes in practice!

May 20, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X100s Questions

and Q button

I'm possibly in the minority here but I also really enjoy the Xtrans sensor compared to the bayer in the x100, I found I could use the added res and high iso
and foliage be damned

May 20, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X100s Questions

Having the custom mode so accessible to quickly switch to a pleasing portrait mode (ProNeg Standard) is very handy. Also provides a quick way to turn Auto ISO on and off via the other two C functions.

May 21, 2013 at 02:53 AM
James10013
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X100s Questions

Spyro P. wrote:
and Q button

I'm possibly in the minority here but I also really enjoy the Xtrans sensor compared to the bayer in the x100, I found I could use the added res and high iso
and foliage be damned

+

May 21, 2013 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.