Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

eorlando
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Well, the roseate spoonbill I got pics of a couple of weeks ago was back at my pond this weekend. I was able to get some better in flight pics this time as well. Someone on another forum commented about how this bird looked to be luecistic. When I first got pics of this bird I did notice that it was a lot more white than other spoonbills I had seen. I thought this was just due to its diet. But then I noticed something else that was just a little different. This bird has black eyes opposed to the typical red eyes that you see which is a characteristic in luecisitic animals. Maybe someone with more knowledge can ad some insight. As always CC welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!! Here is the link to the first thread with more pictures of the same bird.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1211187/0#11543547

Edited on May 22, 2013 at 06:31 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2013 at 07:16 AM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Eric, I've shot thousands of spoonbills and yes this one is different. At first I thought it might be his diet, the fact that his color was very pale, but his eyes are definitely black instead of red. Nice shots, there were some really colorful ones at ding darling a while back with one real pale one in the group, maybe his cousin, but ding is now closed till sometime in october

May 20, 2013 at 09:28 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Fantastic shots Eric.

Birdie

May 20, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

These are very nice captures, Eric. I like the light and detail, and you did a good job on the exposure. The take off sequence is also very well captured
I'm not an expert, but from what I can see from the feathers colors this one looks like a juvenile, one year(?). I've seen this coloring before. About the eye, juveniles have yellowish colored eye and according to how the light its it may appear dark sometimes. In any case leucistic animals have normally colored eyes, so the color of the eye should not be an indication of leucism. If anything the eye should be red.
I'm sure somebody more expert than me can give you a more correct answer. Mine is based only on my experience.
Again, nice job
Socrate

May 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Super job on these. The IF's are great.

May 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Very nice set Eric. The last one is a beauty.
David

May 20, 2013 at 02:40 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Very nice Eric and a nice observation. Unfortunately I can't shed any light on the color of the feathers other than to second what Socrate has offered.
Eric

May 20, 2013 at 03:58 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

that last one is awesome

May 20, 2013 at 04:13 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

A very nice set Eric. I googled "juvenile Roseate Spoonbill" and lots of the juvis have dark eyes:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&q=juvenile+roseate+spoonbill&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.eWU&biw=1585&bih=838&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-LeaUfyfJ4L68gS0rYHICg

Ron

May 20, 2013 at 06:58 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

the last one is my favorite also Eric

May 20, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Eric,

I'd say this bird was fully aware of you & showing off. I like birds like that.

I don't know about the coloring other than what my gut instinct tells me. I think it's a juvenile. The whole bird just seems "juvenile" for some reason to me.

I'll go with the last shot as well. It's simply lovely

Lil

May 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM
eorlando
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Thanks for the comments guys! It seems to be the consensus that it is a juvenile. I was really hoping that there was something different about this bird. Oh well. I am still happy I was able to get some good pics of it.

May 21, 2013 at 06:26 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Good looking set Eric. Your specimen pales in comparison with others of its species

May 21, 2013 at 07:35 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Luecistic Roseate Spoonbill?????

Unusual find Eric and great photos

Morris

May 21, 2013 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.