FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Down the Chute

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Down the Chute

Bjadelberg wrote:
Your stories are getting out of hand. Your a great photographer. I feel if you talked less you would have more respect from other PNW photographers. Just saying

Brian, there is hardly a story attached to this photo except to share with the viewers how beautiful it is to see this place in person. I am sincerely sorry if you are offended in some way. I greatly respect the PNW photographers including your awesome body of work that I continuously follow! They are among the very best in the world and always inspiring to see.

I have always especially appreciated the stories behind peoples photos here on these forums, so I also have the tendency to share what went on behind the scenes, to get the shot, for those who also may enjoy that.

May 20, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Down the Chute

Phrasikleia wrote:
The inverted 'Y' shape has great thumbnail appeal: very striking. I agree with the others about the spatial properties being somewhat confusing, which perhaps may be because of the extreme stretching/distortion of the foliage in the upper corners. Is that the way your lens renders corners, or did you do some puppet warp or perspective distortion in post? It sounds as though you visit this place often, in which case, it would be interesting to see the same comp made from three (or more) stitched verticals--maybe that approach would render less distortion and provide a better sense of space? Just
...Show more

Yes, you are correct here. I used a combination of the 14mm and lens perspective tools in PS to try to accentuate the sense of falling down into the "hole" and the extremely steep cliffs on the sides. I may not have been entirely successful at that effect.

May 20, 2013 at 01:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Down the Chute

Hey Mark,

Some crazy perspective here. It's definitely a shot that will twist one minds a bit, which at least for me is a cool thing.

Jim

May 20, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Down the Chute

The wide angle and edge distortion really contributes to the effect here.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was the effect I was trying for. I think some may like the effect, but some may not like the distortion. I understand either way.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mark,

Some crazy perspective here. It's definitely a shot that will twist one minds a bit, which at least for me is a cool thing.

Jim

Thanks Jim. A twist of the mind.

May 20, 2013 at 01:47 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Down the Chute

Mark Metternich wrote:
Brian, there is hardly a story attached to this photo except to share with the viewers how beautiful it is to see this place in person. I am sincerely sorry if you are offended in some way. I greatly respect the PNW photographers including your awesome body of work that I continuously follow! They are among the very best in the world and always inspiring to see.

I have always especially appreciated the stories behind peoples photos here on these forums, so I also have the tendency to share what went on behind the scenes, to get the shot,.
...Show more

I certainly enjoy the stories behind these images....it adds so much more when you can almost feel like you are there.

Keep the stories (and images) coming!!

May 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Down the Chute

Mark,

I like the composition, especially the dynamic framing, so to say. Everything - the flow of the streams, the direction of vegetation - pulls the eye towards the center of the gap framing the waterfall. Browns or whatever do not bother me at all, but what is really amazing is how sharp the greens are with 1 sec single exposure.

Sasha.

May 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Down the Chute

Wonderful

May 20, 2013 at 09:17 PM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Down the Chute

Mark-
WOW! What a shot...Keep up the hard work!

May 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Down the Chute

CarlG wrote:
I certainly enjoy the stories behind these images....it adds so much more when you can almost feel like you are there.

Keep the stories (and images) coming!!

Thank you very much for the encouragement Carl. I will.

May 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Down the Chute

Wicked....that's all I can say.

May 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Down the Chute

nicknick23 wrote:
Mark-
WOW! What a shot...Keep up the hard work!

Thanks Nick! When do you want to meet up with me?

May 22, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Down the Chute

It's a very intriguing image Mark. The angle creates a motion effect that is not there. I feel like I'm falling down the chute! Vertigo?
I can only imaging this effect when looking at a big print.
Best,
Fred

May 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Down the Chute

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's a very intriguing image Mark. The angle creates a motion effect that is not there. I feel like I'm falling down the chute! Vertigo?
I can only imaging this effect when looking at a big print.
Best,
Fred

Thanks Fred.

That Vertigo effect was what I was trying for.

May 23, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Down the Chute

alatoo60 wrote:
Mark,

I like the composition, especially the dynamic framing, so to say. Everything - the flow of the streams, the direction of vegetation - pulls the eye towards the center of the gap framing the waterfall. Browns or whatever do not bother me at all, but what is really amazing is how sharp the greens are with 1 sec single exposure.

Sasha.

Thank you very much Sasha. I hope you get your own opportunity to shoot here!

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.