Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Down the Chute

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Down the Chute

"Down the Chute"

I have been going to this location for years but because there are an extreme limited variety of ways to shoot the spot, I have avoided positing anything publicly not wanting my shot to look like others... After taking a client recently to the spot I was again totally overwhelmed by the sheer awesome Jurassic-ness of the location! I want to say that NOTHING in photos even begins to relay the Epic-ness here. This is literally one of my favorite places on earth to simply stand in awe. You are literally looking nearly straight down about 120 feet to a waterfall below that is about 100 feet tall.

I really hope you get your chance to see such things in person too!

Nikon D800 (yes, I sometimes shoot Nikon too!
Nikon 14-24 @24
1 second exposure
ISO 50
f/14
1 image processed pretty simply.

May 19, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Mstic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Down the Chute

looks really trippy =P

May 19, 2013 at 03:42 AM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Down the Chute

Beautiful shot Mark - where is this at?

May 19, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Down the Chute

Really nice Mark.
Jon

May 19, 2013 at 04:34 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Down the Chute

Nice shot. I haven't shot this with my 14mm yet. Is that rope still there that is tied to the tree? The only thing I would say about this shot is that the browns draw my eye right away; although it does add color

May 19, 2013 at 05:11 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Down the Chute

Dustin Gent wrote:
Nice shot. I haven't shot this with my 14mm yet. Is that rope still there that is tied to the tree? The only thing I would say about this shot is that the browns draw my eye right away; although it does add color

No the rope is not there anymore. I get you on the browns.

This was 3 weeks ago and the greens were not hitting their prime yet. I could have done a PS layer with a color balance adjustment, toward green, and then masked or erased it into the brownish areas, but I thought I'd leave it more natural looking. I'll be in the area again this coming weekend and it should be even better.

What I forgot to mention was that immediately after climbing out of here we had about a massive 2 minute HAIL storm! I was pretty disappointed because a long exposure in the middle of a hail downpour might have been really special.

May 19, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Down the Chute

I think a vertical would work well on this one too. You were really close to the edge though - which I didn't notice before. I might be there Monday, and "may" leave a new rope to get down to the next tier

May 19, 2013 at 06:30 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Down the Chute

Wicked!

May 19, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Down the Chute

Dustin Gent wrote:
I think a vertical would work well on this one too. You were really close to the edge though - which I didn't notice before. I might be there Monday, and "may" leave a new rope to get down to the next tier

If so be careful, it is slimy as snot! One slip could prove problematic at best.

May 19, 2013 at 06:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Down the Chute

Mark Metternich wrote:
... NOTHING in photos even begins to relay the Epic-ness here....

?

May 19, 2013 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Down the Chute

gdanmitchell wrote:
?

Are you needing further elaboration?

When you see photos of this place and then go to the location, there is the biggest disconnect I have experienced in landscape so far. What I mean is that most of us know that photos almost never seem to do grandiose locations their due justice. This is a place that when I first saw it in person (and each time since) utterly stunned me. All previous photos and all photos I have seen of it since do not even begin to help the viewer really understand what it looks like to stand here. It is pure Jurassic (that is the only word I can come up with). When you stand here and see the full scene, you wonder if this location exceeds anything Hawaii has ever offered in extreme Jurassic waterfalls scenes.

May 19, 2013 at 07:01 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Down the Chute

where is this? Looks like a nice place, to me it looks so distorted that it seems unrealistic, even though I assume it is an illusion as the growth is growing that way. It comes across as though you are shooting horizontally, not downwards, or am I wrong

May 19, 2013 at 09:00 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Down the Chute

Unique perspective. I really like it. Great greens and it is sharp. Welcome to dark side.
Harsha

May 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM
jsuro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Down the Chute

ScaryFox wrote:
Wicked!

'nough said

Jose

May 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Down the Chute

A stunning perspective, I am having trouble getting my head around it

Cheers Ray

May 20, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Down the Chute

MikeW wrote:
where is this? Looks like a nice place, to me it looks so distorted that it seems unrealistic, even though I assume it is an illusion as the growth is growing that way. It comes across as though you are shooting horizontally, not downwards, or am I wrong

I was going for a sort of optical illusion approach. It is nearly straight down about 120 feet and the waterfall below is about 100 feet tall. Eagle creek area.

May 20, 2013 at 01:24 AM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Down the Chute

Your stories are getting out of hand. Your a great photographer. I feel if you talked less you would have more respect from other PNW photographers. Just saying

May 20, 2013 at 01:36 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Down the Chute

I know what falls this is...but I will be dipped if I know how you got over there.

Interesting perspective.

Roman

May 20, 2013 at 01:43 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Down the Chute

It's kind of a confusing shot to me, while I am sure it is awesome in person, the shot doesn't read very well to me. Certainly not one I would want on my wall anyway, I definitely prefer some of the other gorge shots you have posted recently.

May 20, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Down the Chute

The inverted 'Y' shape has great thumbnail appeal: very striking. I agree with the others about the spatial properties being somewhat confusing, which perhaps may be because of the extreme stretching/distortion of the foliage in the upper corners. Is that the way your lens renders corners, or did you do some puppet warp or perspective distortion in post? It sounds as though you visit this place often, in which case, it would be interesting to see the same comp made from three (or more) stitched verticals--maybe that approach would render less distortion and provide a better sense of space? Just a thought.

May 20, 2013 at 03:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password