Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

I was about to put my Mamiya 120A macro on ebay, it was a spur of the moment purchase (Mamiya 120A macro, 80/2.8C and a 645 1000s body for £199) but I haven't used it much.

So I went into the garden this evening to play with it.

I've decided not to sell it for the moment.

Anyone else done this

May 18, 2013 at 03:33 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

BTW, had great fun taking shots of the dandelion heads, playing around with tilt on the Mirex and trying various apertures. Thinking wow stopping down near mfd doesn't add much DOF, then reviewing my shots at f4, 5.6 and 8 and realising they all had the same exposure

Then I remembered the auto/manual aperture setting lever

May 18, 2013 at 03:37 PM
ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

I'd say its a keeper!!

May 18, 2013 at 03:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

johnahill wrote:
Anyone else done this

If you mean, has anybody else decided to keep an A 120/4 Macro? If yes, then yes. Mine's definitely a keeper.

P.S. good call!

May 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

No I mean has anyone thought: well I think I'll sell lens xxx I don't use it all that much, only to then try it out and realise it's stellar.

I'm sure many here have done

May 18, 2013 at 03:50 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

Sometimes I think that of my Rokkor 58/1.2... but I adjusted the rear element ring so it can be focussed till infinity (viewfinder infinity, not lens infinity). So I'm using it more now.

@dandelion shots: wow!

May 18, 2013 at 04:10 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

Oh, yeah. My Summicron-M 90's almost been sold or traded half a dozen times, but it only takes me a couple of shots to change my mind every time.

May 18, 2013 at 07:09 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

Interesting...

How would this Mamiya compare with say the EF Canon 100 macro in terms of value, sharpness, IQ, and focussing?

May 18, 2013 at 07:20 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

johnahill wrote:
No I mean has anyone thought: well I think I'll sell lens xxx I don't use it all that much, only to then try it out and realise it's stellar.

Yes, I did with the Voigtlander 90/3.5 SL I. I don't use it that often, but when I use it it always delivers.

I was lucky that bids were too low for this lens, so I decided to just keep it.

May 18, 2013 at 07:40 PM
wilco23
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

I love this lens. I have one question after I use Mamiya macro lenses. I noticed that DOF is very thin even f4 and comparable to regular 35mm macro lenses at f2.8. Does MF aperture f4 is wider compare to f4 in regular 35mm lenses?

May 18, 2013 at 09:12 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

Mine is going nowhere, combination of Mirex and EVF focusing make it a compelling case, and the market value is way low. It is also one Alt fan theSuede rates as one of the Medium format lenses that stacks up on 35mm (I paraphrase here). A lot of experienced guys love this one. Who needs STF?

May 18, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

This may not necessarily be a true "alt", but I've had my Sigma 85/1.4 on the B&S boards twice. The first time it actually sold, but apparently, the GMR sensor decided to give out somewhere in transit, and the buyer returned it. About a year ago I decided to sell it, and had it up again, but after going through some older shoots, and using the lens exclusively for a weekend, I withdrew the post, and it has been living on my D700 since.

May 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

wilco23 wrote:
I love this lens. I have one question after I use Mamiya macro lenses. I noticed that DOF is very thin even f4 and comparable to regular 35mm macro lenses at f2.8. Does MF aperture f4 is wider compare to f4 in regular 35mm lenses?

That question comes up from time to time and the answer is a definite no.
There is nothing about a medium format lens that makes it different from a regular small format lens ("35mm" isn't really the right name because that's the width of the film strip including perforations, which doesn't apply to digital sensors) in terms of DOF or magnification. The only difference is that MF lenses have a larger image circle, but a small format (36x24mm) sensor can't make use of it and just crops out the center of the image circle, exactly in the same way as a full frame lens is cropped by an APS-C sensor.

May 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Interesting...

How would this Mamiya compare with say the EF Canon 100 macro in terms of value, sharpness, IQ, and focussing?

I owned the Canon 100/2.8 USM Macro and Mamiya A 120/4 Macro together, for about a year. Then I sold the Canon to help pay for a Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO.

IMO, the A 120/4 Macro is better than the Canon 100/2.8 USM Macro in IQ, focus ergonomics, and value. The Mamiya is one stop slower (usually moot), slightly heavier (0.15kg), and quite a bit longer at high magnifications (the Mamiya double-helix barrel extends quite a lot, while the Canon is internal focus). The Canon is AF or manual focus, and teh Mamiya is manual focus. Both are 1:1 macro lenses.

The smaller Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 80/4 N Macro is also very nice. It is 1:2 on its own, and goes to 1:1 with an extension tube.

P.S. if you decide to get an A 120/4 Macro, make sure to get one with a manual aperture ring. There is also an "AF" version which is compatible with AF Mamiya bodies; this "AF" version is manual focus (not AF) and it looks very similar to the older version, but the "AF" version has no manual aperture ring.

May 19, 2013 at 06:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

johnahill wrote:

Not with the A 120/4 Macro, but yes, with many other lenses. In my case, I usually actually sell it, and later buy another one. There was a thread in the Canon forum on this subject last year, ...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1162837/0#11088475

[I'm now on my third (SC) and fourth (MC) versions of the Oly 21/3.5 ]

May 19, 2013 at 06:36 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

^^ thanks very much for your well articulated response...

May 19, 2013 at 09:41 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I almost sold this lens but...............................

I have done the same thing, only gone one more step and actually sold it and then regretted it. The Minolta 58/1.2 and 85/1.7 come to mind, on #2 for both.

May 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.