1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Those darn Adobe bastards

Joseph Garcin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Those darn Adobe bastards

Dave_EP wrote:
1) I wouldn't fret over $50 a month if it was $50 everywhere, but as usual it isn't. Adobe has been ripping off non-USA customer for years with higher prices and this continues even with the CC. We buy the software in the same way, using the same sort of servers etc. Why should we pay more?

This is the only reason why I will not sign up for a a subscription. I have asked for an explanation from Adobe why the subscription is significantly more expensive, and I received no answer. I would have even accepted "it is what our marketing department determined the Japanese market could bear." But instead I received a non-answer.

I was actually excited about the subscription, as it would have finally given me the chance to have the whole suite, but I really have a hard time paying 66% more for the exact same product.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Those darn Adobe bastards

Adobe has seriously crippled Elements to force other than P&S consumers into PS or lightroom. Lightroom is crippled for the landscape users with the crappy dust brush forcing them into PS for the Content Aware Brush. All but PS use a database which is a crutch for those whom can't use a proper filing system.
All in All Adobe has not been a friend of the still Photographer. They have some great programmers on their staff but the overall management is immoral. If a program cannot do something that is one thing, but to not let it do what it is able to force more money is something else.

Jun 03, 2013 at 09:10 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Those darn Adobe bastards

From the Adobe faq on Elements the reasons Elements just won't do.

There is very little 16-bit support in Photshop Elements. You cannot create or convert an image to 16-bit, only open images that are already 16-bit. While working with a 16-bit image you cannot work with layers. The following tools do not work: Magic Wand, Selection Brush, the family of Type tools, Recompose, Cookie Cutter, Straighten, the brush based tools (Paint Brush, Eraser, Dodge, Blur, etc), or the shape based tools (Rectangle, Ellipse, Custom Shape, etc). Many filters do not work, mainly those featured in the Filter Gallery.

Photoshop Elements cannot merge multiple/bracketed photo exposures into an HDR image. There is no support for 32-bit images. However, Photoshop Elements does offer Photomerge Exposure as a similar function.

Photoshop Elements does not use the same range of Content-Aware functions. While the Spot Healing Brush includes the Content-Aware option in both applications, Photoshop Elements does not have Conent-Aware as an option in the Edit > Fill Layer command (known simply as Edit > Fill in Photoshop). However, Photoshop Elements does use a Content-Aware Fill option when creating a Photomerge Panorama, this is not an option in Photoshop. Photoshop CS6 introduced the Content-Aware Extend and Move tools, which are not available in Photoshop Elements.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Danny Michael

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Those darn Adobe bastards

Hence the reason nothing comes close to Photoshop, nor will it for years to come. They didn't build this thing overnight, it took 20 years and many developers for a reason.

Edit: and if you are like anthony and only need a small subset of the features in PS, then maybe there will be a replacement that suits those needs. For me, who has grown up with Ps and used it since v3.0.5, there will never be anything else acceptable for me to replace it with in my lifetime. Adobe knows this. They know what went into building this tool and they know there is little software on the planet that people actually have a love affair with, like they do with Ps. It's like going through a divorce that you weren't prepared for. it sucks.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.