Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

LCPete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

I dont understand why anyone would use a make like KomputerBay
I went out today spent all morning taking photographs and spent a bit on petrol , its just not worth the hassle to get home and find out that the pictures are not there because the card has failed
I use Kingston and transend cards still reasonbly priced and are reliable

May 19, 2013 at 01:35 PM
akivisuals
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

This is worth a read as it relates directly to what the OP is referring to.

May 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

akivisuals wrote:

Most of the cards that he writes about in your link, he have not even used He is just refering to the write & read speed on the card.
The OP also have the opposite result with the Komputerbay card than he tell us in the link. Many card makers exaggerate their cards write or read speed. Many put a 1000x or 600x on the card when they are like a 133x or 400x card in performance. It's a card that also Komputerbay self write it's not compatible or work in all cameras. Just google the card and look what people that have bought it say. And I'm not talking about a few people..........

From the link:
What IS the story with KomputerBay?
Well the truth has been outed. These are quality control failed memory chips.

May 19, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

akivisuals wrote:

Well there are a couple of things there that would have me running for the hills .

"These are made from QC failed components" . That about says it all . Yes it may be made from parts that were destined for the Lexar 1000x , but they are substandard parts that could not be used in the Lexar card .

Run away run away ....

Also as mentioned card companies like to bandy about the fastest speed they can . But in general that means READ speed , so the thing could write at the speed of a 5yr old but as long as it can read the smallest bit of data at the much faster speed then that's fine it can be classed as xxxxxX .

May 19, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Well there are a couple of things there that would have me running for the hills .

"These are made from QC failed components" . That about says it all . Yes it may be made from parts that were destined for the Lexar 1000x , but they are substandard parts that could not be used in the Lexar card .

Run away run away ....

Also as mentioned card companies like to bandy about the fastest speed they can . But in general that means READ speed , so the thing could write at the speed of a 5yr
...Show more

+100

Who likes to buy a card that is made of another companies QC failed components Half the price doesn't help you when you loose your pics or video

May 19, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

I belive this is the most funny part in the link:
Keep on mind these cards come direct from Komputerbay with a 100 percent guarentee. Meaning that if you get a card that was missed in the QC variance then return and get a different one.

So you buy a card that is made from QC failed Components. And if you return it because it was missed in the QC variance , you get another card made of QC failed components

May 19, 2013 at 05:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
From the link:
What IS the story with KomputerBay?
Well the truth has been outed. These are quality control failed memory chips.

This part sounds scary. Now I know that such things are done all the time, like lower level video cards might have failed parts but what they do it just lock of the failed cores block and then it drives the lower end part that wasn't supposed to have that many cores to begin with and it's all fine. But here it doesn't sound like they are say taking 256GB failed parts and using as 128GB and 128GB failed as 64GB parts does it? I mean maybe they are and then it's OK, but if not then it seems a bit worrisome. I know EOSHD guy said that it's just a speed issue (making it sound like his 128GB cards were slower just because his 128 batch didn't get through QC as well) and not reliability but that sounds suspect to me.

May 19, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

Thing is most buyers probaly wouldn't know there was an 'issue' here , which means they can usually get away with selling these substandard cards . In most cases the buyer would be better off with slower 'proper' cards at the same or lower price .

But when your talking about the very high data rates needed for RAW video and a user who maxes the buffer out all the time for stills then it will notice .
And if I was in either of theses camps (particually the raw video camp) then I WOULD NOT be cheaping out on the cards I was using .

May 19, 2013 at 07:09 PM
RichFisher
• •
p.2 #9 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

LCPete wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would use a make like KomputerBay
I went out today spent all morning taking photographs and spent a bit on petrol , its just not worth the hassle to get home and find out that the pictures are not there because the card has failed
I use Kingston and transend cards still reasonbly priced and are reliable

Spend thousand of $ on equipment, endless hours of our time, and then try to save $50 to $200 on card?!!?!

If the priceis too good to be true, probably is.

May 19, 2013 at 07:19 PM
axe9
• •
p.2 #10 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

As a general rule, I tend to stay away from brands that use Ks instead of Cs.
I just bought 4 of the Transcend 64GB cards, but those komputerbay cards were temping for a second.. only a second though.

May 19, 2013 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

I don't even belive his story in the link

Amazon didn't have those cards so he went direct to Komputerbay to pick up a card!! There the Senior Manager meet him and told him the full truth about these cards!! After that he slice opened a few Komputerbay and Lexar cards to show him they where identical!! And then told him that Komputerbay cards where made of Lexars quality control failed memory chips!!!
The Senior Manager did this to an unknown person that showed up to buy a card!!! yes sure..........

May 19, 2013 at 09:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

RichFisher wrote:
Spend thousand of $ on equipment, endless hours of our time, and then try to save $50 to $200 on card?!!?!

Well, when a card holds like 10 minutes of footage.... yes, people were desperate to find anything less expensive since you need many, many times 32GB.

May 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

axe9 wrote:
As a general rule, I tend to stay away from brands that use Ks instead of Cs.

May 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
I don't even belive his story in the link

Amazon didn't have those cards so he went direct to Komputerbay to pick up a card!! There the Senior Manager meet him and told him the full truth about these cards!! After that he slice opened a few Komputerbay and Lexar cards to show him they where identical!! And then told him that Komputerbay cards where made of Lexars quality control failed memory chips!!!
The Senior Manager did this to an unknown person that showed up to buy a card!!! yes sure..........

Yeah, it is ridiculous.

EBH

May 20, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Bacalhau
• •
p.2 #15 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

I used Komputerbay cards in the past...and they failed. Exchanged them, and worked ok for a couple months, but after a firmware update on the 5dmk2, they stop working.
Their costumer service is a joke, to say the least.
Stay away, that's my two cents

May 20, 2013 at 02:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

check out reply #15:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5391.0

sounds great

May 21, 2013 at 03:25 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #17 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

http://vimeo.com/66206596

Andrew from EosHD DOES use komputerbay as someone previously noted.

"Andrew Reid PLUS 5 days ago
$180 for the same memory in a KomputerBay card. Shop around.
I am using one and it works fine."

May 21, 2013 at 03:43 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

_SBS_ wrote:

I suppose but definitely avoid the 128GB and well if you read all the comments on ML forums and Amazon and elsewhere and awful lot of cards already failing in the first week of usage!

May 21, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

_SBS_ wrote:

I would avoid any Komputerbay card in any size and speed. Have you been reading this thread?

May 21, 2013 at 07:22 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #20 · Avoid Komputerbay 128GB cards for 5D3 ML RAW video hack

Of course I've read this thread. I'm one of those strange people that read the entire thread no matter how long before I post.

I was just confirming that Andrew DOES use Komputerbay.

I didnt say I would use it, or that anyone else should.

I wouldnt use Komputerbay if you paid me to use it. From a search I did some time ago on this and other forums, some folk seem to get lucky and get a working one that lasts. Others are some what lucky and get one that lasts for a few months and then craps out. But most folks get ones that are crap and stay crap.

Reliability>cost in my mind.

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
I looked at your link and he didn't say that. This is what he wrote:

"@EOSHD he cut open LEXAR media and KomputerBay right in front of me and showed me the exact same components.

The specs are also very different on the Lexar 1000x card

May 21, 2013 at 04:50 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password