Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird
  
 
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Having viewed the habits of a few thousand Rufous Hummingbirds over the last several years, I could tell that this male was in serious distress. He was fluffed-up and appeared nearly double the size of the other males. As he was perched at the feeder, he was rocking back and forth with his head tilted up and eyes semi-closed. He continued like this for a few minutes, even when other hummers and I approached.

It started to rain heavily and he took a couple of short sips then flew away. The ruffled feathers above his right wing could have indicated an injury. His fluffed-up state indicated he was in a state of torpor and that he may have been suffering from shock and was trying to retain body heat.

Hopefully he recovered.




  Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/125s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  




May 18, 2013 at 03:34 PM
birdied
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Oh I hope he is able to recover.

Birdie



May 18, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Lil Judd
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Ahhhhhh poor little one.

If you happen to find him on your lawn or something.... To help him recover... I recommend this - - feed him some hummer food Or if you against all odds have some Pedialyte at home, that. Then put him in a shoe box with a towel & some air holes. Keep him inside where he's kept warm & can rest. The darkness will make him rest & he'll recover faster. As soon as he shows signs of recovery - Just open the lid & he'll take off. This is what I've been taught to do. The darkness promotes rest & that's the best way for him to grow strong if he's going to.

You probably know all this - but in case you don't - - I've rehabilitated many hummers this way.

Lil



May 18, 2013 at 05:05 PM
morris
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


I could see that he was cold. Great documentary work Tony

Morris



May 18, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Desert Drake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Is it possible that he hit a window? I have seen them in this sort of state after doing that.
Al



May 18, 2013 at 07:43 PM
mitesh
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Tony- always enjoy your images, but it is the educational commentary that you often include that is really appreciated!


May 18, 2013 at 08:07 PM
David Leask
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Poor wee thing
Thanks for sharing Tony, I hope he survives.
David



May 18, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Larry Williams
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Hi Tony,

I don't know if this has any bearing on your subject, but here goes.

We only have Rubies here. The males can be very vicious and continue to challenge the dominant male. One afternoon, I witnessed the dominant male resting on "his" feeder. All of a sudden, I noticed a "laser shot" coming out of nowhere. Another male Ruby flew right into the perched male stabbing him. The force of the hit knocked the perched male off the feeder, he then flew back up to the feeder and sat there all fluffed out and teetering from side to side. He stayed there for hours. Towards evening he dropped to the ground. I picked him up and placed him on a bush, hoping that he would recover during the night.

The next morning, I found him lying on the ground. He must of died during the night.

One never knows, but Mother Nature can be unforgiving at times.

Larry




May 18, 2013 at 08:36 PM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Thanks for the info (as well as your as expected excellent image). I don't know that I would have interpreted the signs as you did. You obvious wealth of knowledge when it comes to these guys is pretty impressive.
Thanks for sharing.
Eric



May 18, 2013 at 09:08 PM
kmunroe
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


excellent job on the hummingbird Tony


May 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



surfnron
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Well captured and interesting Tony ~ Ron


May 19, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Ted ellis
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Larry Williams wrote:
Hi Tony,

I don't know if this has any bearing on your subject, but here goes.

We only have Rubies here. The males can be very vicious and continue to challenge the dominant male. One afternoon, I witnessed the dominant male resting on "his" feeder. All of a sudden, I noticed a "laser shot" coming out of nowhere. Another male Ruby flew right into the perched male stabbing him. The force of the hit knocked the perched male off the feeder, he then flew back up to the feeder and sat there all fluffed out and teetering from side to side.
...Show more

Larry I too have seen this behavior between males.



Edited on May 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM · View previous versions



May 19, 2013 at 01:57 PM
ckcarr
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


That behavior crosses species, up to and including the human race. It's just that a hummingbird is cute and we hate to see it.

Hopefully he was just cold and wet. I used to have birds and they would get that way when they overdid their baths. Then they would puff up and sit, preserving energy.



May 19, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


birdied wrote:
Oh I hope he is able to recover.

Birdie


We will never know.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Lil Judd wrote:
Ahhhhhh poor little one.

If you happen to find him on your lawn or something.... To help him recover... I recommend this - - feed him some hummer food Or if you against all odds have some Pedialyte at home, that. Then put him in a shoe box with a towel & some air holes. Keep him inside where he's kept warm & can rest. The darkness will make him rest & he'll recover faster. As soon as he shows signs of recovery - Just open the lid & he'll take off. This is what I've been taught to do.
...Show more

Thanks for the advice, Lil, but I never saw where he went.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


morris wrote:
I could see that he was cold. Great documentary work Tony

Morris


Thanks, Morris.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:21 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


Desert Drake wrote:
Is it possible that he hit a window? I have seen them in this sort of state after doing that.
Al


Thanks, Al. Ones I have seen that hit windows either break their necks and die or get knocked out for a few minutes then recover and fly off. I have never seen one then go to a feeder and sit with a rocking motion with their heads pointed up.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


mitesh wrote:
Tony- always enjoy your images, but it is the educational commentary that you often include that is really appreciated!


Thanks, Mitesh.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird


David Leask wrote:
Poor wee thing
Thanks for sharing Tony, I hope he survives.
David


Thanks, David.

Tony



May 19, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sad-looking Rufous Hummingbird




Thanks, Larry. Too bad you never got any shots of that. I know how aggressive the males can be, but I have never heard of any stabbing incidents.

I always wonder why Great Blue Herons don't stab Bald Eagles that steal chicks from their nests.

Tony

Tony





May 19, 2013 at 03:27 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password