Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

pcho
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

I have been using 1 series 1dsmkll, 1dsmklll and now the 1dx and I just realised that when in manaul mode the exposure compensation bar doesn't appear on the top right LCD.
As I always adjust my compensation via the viewfinder it has never bothered me. Recently I have been taking Pre sunrise shots with my 17mm tse lens and and remote cable and sometimes e I feel that adjusting the exposure compensation would be more convenient just looking at top LCD but I was shock to see it wasn't there? I thought I might have stuff something in my menu selection. Yes, I know the exposure bar appears in live view on the back LCD.

Anyone know why they took the exposure bar off the top LCD in manual mode only. The bar appears in AV, TV and P mode

It is available in my 5dmklll in manual mode.

Perry

May 18, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

It's exactly the same as my 1D3, 1Ds3 & 1D4. So Canon did not change anything. It's the same as it always have been.

Why would you like it in M

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Funny, I was caught by surprise by this too, when I move up from 5D/7D.

Lars, it would be useful for me to ball park the exposure before looking through the viewfinder. Not a big issue, but I don't see what harm it can do to have it showing up. *shrug*

May 18, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

But why would you not like to use the exposure that you set when you are in manual mode? Do you set the wrong aperture/shutter speed in manual mode to compensate it later

May 18, 2013 at 02:07 AM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But why would you not like to use the exposure that you set when you are in manual mode? Do you set the wrong aperture/shutter speed in manual mode to compensate it later

Lars, when you shoot directly into the sky and sometimes the sun, plus the use of filters we tend to over or under expose to get certain areas to look better.

Perry

May 18, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote:

I'm not sure we understand each other, Lars.

When I have set the desired aperture and shutter speed, I like to use the exposure bar in order to dial in the needed ISO to get a ball park correct decent exposure.

May 18, 2013 at 02:24 AM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's exactly the same as my 1D3, 1Ds3 & 1D4. So Canon did not change anything. It's the same as it always have been.

Why would you like it in M

Yes, I know but I never noticed it until now . I had all the models you mentioned

Perry

May 18, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

pcho wrote:
Lars, when you shoot directly into the sky and sometimes the sun, plus the use of filters we tend to over or under expose to get certain areas to look better.

Perry

Yes I get that. But if you like to under expose 2 stops. Why not under exposure 2 stops from the start? Why intentionally do wrong from the start, so you need to compensate it ?

May 18, 2013 at 02:33 AM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes I get that. But if you like to under expose 2 stops. Why not under exposure 2 stops from the start? Why intentionally do wrong from the start, so you need to compensate it ?

Yes, but as the sun rises, it gets brighter and I need to keep changing it. Sometimes under or overexposure may look better. Hard to explain but that is how I play with the lighting

Perry

May 18, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Stoffer wrote:
I'm not sure we understand each other, Lars.

When I have set the desired aperture and shutter speed, I like to use the exposure bar in order to dial in the needed ISO to get a ball park correct decent exposure.

It's not really the desired aperture and shutter speed if you need to compensate it later. The whole point with manual mode is that everything is done manually.
If you read in the manual it also say the auto exposure compensation can only be used in the P, Tv and Av shooting modes

May 18, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote

It's not really the desired aperture and shutter speed if you need to compensate it later. The whole point with manual mode is that everything is done manually.
If you read in the manual it also say the auto exposure compensation can only be used in the P, Tv and Av shooting modes

Yes, I understand this.

May 18, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Stoffer wrote:
Yes, I understand this.

Maybe you can use one of the Custom shooting modes C1-C3. To get a setting that is closer to what you need or like. Give it a try

May 18, 2013 at 02:54 AM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Maybe you can use one of the Custom shooting modes C1-C3. To get a setting that is closer to what you need or like. Give it a try

Thanks Lars, I will give it a try

Perry

May 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

If I understand correctly, you are using the exposure meter reading on the top LCD to approximate the proper exposure, and then fine tuning it/setting it manually. Basically using the camera's light meter to gauge the scene. In that instance, I can see why having the display on the LCD would be useful. I also didn't notice until you mentioned it

May 18, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

mitesh wrote:
If I understand correctly, you are using the exposure meter reading on the top LCD to approximate the proper exposure, and then fine tuning it/setting it manually. Basically using the camera's light meter to gauge the scene. In that instance, I can see why having the display on the LCD would be useful. I also didn't notice until you mentioned it

It's not an exposure meter reading on the top LCD. It's just a bar where you set the exposure compensation.

May 18, 2013 at 05:50 AM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

mitesh wrote:

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
It's not an exposure meter reading on the top LCD. It's just a bar where you set the exposure compensation.

The point is that on cameras other than a 1D the bar serves two purposes: in manual it's a meter reading, in other modes it shows exposure compensation. Which raises the question: Why did Canon choose to do things differently with the 1D?

May 18, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

SeverianTL wrote:
The point is that on cameras other than a 1D the bar serves two purposes: in manual it's a meter reading, in other modes it shows exposure compensation. Which raises the question: Why did Canon choose to do things differently with the 1D?

This is exactly the point we're trying to make, thanks Donald.

May 18, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

SeverianTL wrote:

It's not the point that the OP asked about. But to answer your question. Why would Canon change it with the 1DX ? It has always been like this on the 1 series bodies. So it's not a new or changed thing with this body.
And why surprised that it's different than the the lower priced bodies. Hundreds of other things are also different against those bodies. One reason could be that the viewfinder is better, larger and have a lot more info on the 1 series bodies.......only Canon know of course.

May 18, 2013 at 07:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

It doesn't bother me at all. I either use the finder or Info display on the rear LCD. Also, in conditions where EV adjustment will likely be required, I prefer to take a test image or two, and check the histogram.

May 18, 2013 at 07:42 AM
photogoofer

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1dx exposure bar not displayed on top LCD in Manual Mode?

You can view exposure compensation on the rear LCD by pushing the 'info' button until the camera settings show on the back screen. When you push the shutter button half-way, the exposure compensation scale shows up vertically on the right side of the screen.

May 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.