Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Hand held macro

scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Hand held macro

While its definitely true that a tripod is best for macro shots, I'm comfortable with walking around using my 100L for macro shots like these.

May 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Hand held macro

scalesusa wrote:
While its definitely true that a tripod is best for macro shots..

I'm curious as to why so many have come to this conclusion when, in reality, it's just not a true statement. While this is something that relies almost entirely on the setup (specifically the type of lighting) and the photographer's skill level, to simply state that a tripod is best for macro is utterly false. Not only does it act as a hindrance in many cases, specifically for live and mobile subjects, but it also limits a photographer's flexibility in terms of shooting position, especially when shooting in tight spaces or awkward positions. This is not to say a tripod is useless, but it does not guarantee a better shot. Some examples...all handheld.

For contrast, you should post the same exact poll on the macro forum.

May 19, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Hand held macro

95% hand held even with the MP-E 65, although that did have a steep learning curve.

A tripod is much more a hindrance than a help for the vast majority of macro shots especially insects, bugs, spiders etc. Too slow and cumbersome to set up when doing anything approaching true macro. It's ok for flower portraits sometimes or if you have docile critters that aren't moving, then it can be nice for focus stacking, although many can do that hand held too.

May 19, 2013 at 02:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Hand held macro

180 Tamron and longer hh

May 19, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Vermiculations

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Hand held macro

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I hope I don't offend any forum members that have replied to my topic. I'm just trying to be honest about my potential use.

I have come to realize that my personal shooting style is very minimalist. I often only take two lenses, a moderate wide and a short telephoto, on most outings. My lens choice is mostly related to shooting environment, but sometimes can be influenced by a particular type of shot that I am trying for.

While I already own a very sturdy tripod and monopod, they never get used. Not to mention my 70-200 F2.8 L - at almost 3 pounds it never makes it out of the house.

While I am sure the 180 L is a magnificent lens, at 2.4 pounds, I know I wouldn't use it much.

I realize that these factors will make macro shooting a bit more challenging for me, but I like some of the (at .45 macro) photos I've been able to take with my 24-105 F4 L.

Right now, I like the idea of a moderate telephoto - 100 2.8 (L or non L), as my "style" will require that the lens often be used for more than just macro.

Any more thoughts?

As for what subjects, I suppose it will be a bit of everything.

May 19, 2013 at 04:53 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Hand held macro

Handheld macro is like handheld long lens shooting. Both can be done with excellent result. But if it's possible to use a tripod, the result will be even better.

May 19, 2013 at 05:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password