Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hand held macro

Vermiculations

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hand held macro

Which lens for hand held macro on a FF?

May 18, 2013 at 05:13 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hand held macro

Canon 100mmL macro with hybrid IS, of course .

May 18, 2013 at 05:21 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Hand held macro

I only shoot handheld and have had no problem getting good shots. I have the Canon 100/2.8 non-L and it's probably the best $400 lens I'll ever own. The Sigma macros are all excellent too. There's always the Tamron 90. How much do you want to spend?

May 18, 2013 at 05:21 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Hand held macro

AGeoJO wrote:
Canon 100mmL macro with hybrid IS, of course .

+1 Probably the best general purpose Canon macro, especially for hand-held work.
Yes, of course there are situations where a tripod will give better results, or where shooting hand-held is impossible, but a lot of people do fine macro work without a tripod. You can find lots of examples and advice on the macro board. Flash is also an option.

May 18, 2013 at 05:55 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Hand held macro

It really depends on the person and their gear. I find I drift 'n twitch too much to get precise framing so I stick to tripods unless there is no other way. If I can't squeeze a tripod in, a monopod or tabletop tripod will often work. However I tend to like stopping down to F16 or 22 and use slow shutter speeds/low ISO. If you like wide open impressionistic shots, hand holding is more practical.

May 18, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Hand held macro

Tripod makes a big difference in macro shooting when it comes to sharpness. There are a lot of good macro lenses from most brands. If you like to have IS there is the Canon 100 IS lens. Or the Sigma 105 OS & 150 OS. Those 3 lenses are very nice. But what kind of subject do you shoot

May 18, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Hand held macro

When I voted for hand held macro, I meant I shoot "close-up" shots with the 100L. Not true macro. For close to 1:1, I usually want a tripod.

May 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Hand held macro

For magnifications approaching 1:2 and especially 1:1, I sometimes use a monopod with acceptable results (with an unstabilized lens), but a tripod with a focus rail is by far the best way to go for high magnification.

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 02:21 PM
rater

p.1 #9 · Hand held macro

IMHO you will need a tripod to get the best results. Having said that, you can get super shots handheld, depending on how steady you are. Handheld I think the Ef 100mm 2.8 L IS would be the best choice.

May 18, 2013 at 02:27 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #10 · Hand held macro

rater wrote:
IMHO you will need a tripod to get the best results. Having said that, you can get super shots handheld, depending on how steady you are. Handheld I think the Ef 100mm 2.8 L IS would be the best choice.

+1

I've had good results with a 180 as well as the 65mpe, but best results from using a tripod.

May 18, 2013 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Hand held macro

There is no doubt in my mind that you can get excellent results shooting handheld...in fact if you swing by the macro forum you will find that most members there shoot this way. It's a ridiculous notion that you need a tripod for the best results.

May 18, 2013 at 02:56 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Hand held macro

70-200mm L with tubes and maybe a monopod. Don't think i've ever used a tripod for macro distances

May 18, 2013 at 02:59 PM
caMARYnon

p.1 #13 · Hand held macro

M Vers wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that you can get excellent results shooting handheld...in fact if you swing by the macro forum you will find that most members there shoot this way. It's a ridiculous notion that you need a tripod for the best results.

+1
I have 100mm non L (and non IS) with flash and maybe a finger resting on a near object (if available) to reduce camera shake. I had 100 L variant for a year and IS was useless IMO for 1:1 bugs and other alive insects.

May 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Hand held macro

Depends on your light of course. Handheld is going to limit your options somewhat, but IS makes the job easier.

May 18, 2013 at 04:41 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #15 · Hand held macro

Vermiculations wrote:
Which lens for hand held macro on a FF?

Hi Vermiculations,

I've shot with my Sigma 150mm non-OS and MP-E 65mm almost exclusively handheld, using a tripod in the field for this sort of work is too labor-intensive and time consuming for my tastes. If anything, propping one's lens-hand against a solid object (ground, rock, tree, stump, etc.) is most ideal when shooting on the ground (yes, laying down). Standing up requires practice with one's steadiness (yes, practice). Besides, a lot of these teeny critters are on the move and require quick decisions and movement on my part to keep up with them...one might think BIFs challenging, well, bugs on the move (BOTMs) are their own challenge...the shallow DOF with these lenses is very unforgiving.

Hopefully this was helpful?!

May 18, 2013 at 06:46 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Hand held macro

Couldn't chose an option as I shoot both styles. Depends on the subject, setting required and environmental conditions, lens length/weight, am using T/Cs and/or tubes. An old MF 200mm nFDN is pretty heavy and tripod mounted it is, but as others have mentioned both the non-L and L versions of the 100 are easily handheld; I've even shot the 300 f4L IS with tubes handheld and gotten good results. Stacking and more precise work requires a tripod

May 18, 2013 at 07:09 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Hand held macro

Most of the time I shoot handheld with the 100L and 7D a lot of the time insects wont wait for you to set up the tripod
If I go out early I do take a tripod tho as I may get lucky and find a dew covered Dragonfly or Damselfly

May 18, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #18 · Hand held macro

Most of my friends who are great at macro use custom-built flash for macro shots. No need for tripod.

May 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #19 · Hand held macro

Canon 180 mm L macro. My wife and I have travelled around the world

(over 100 countries) visiting botanical gardens among other sites.

The 180 L is easier on the bending the back and stepping on flower

beds than 100 L. With proper exercises the 180 L can be successfully

handheld conveniently by a senior citizen like me.

May 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Hand held macro

Especially if you are shooting with flash, handheld is very doable. For anything that moves (the ever popular bugs for example) handheld is almost mandatory.

May 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password