FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 17mm TSE, 24mm TSE vs Zeiss 15mm ZE, 21mm ZE

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 17mm TSE, 24mm TSE vs Zeiss 15mm ZE, 21mm ZE

Yes, under certain conditions the 21 can flare but I was wondering about the TS-E 24 since the17 can flare too if you don't block thevlight hitting the front element from steep angles from the side.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:11 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 17mm TSE, 24mm TSE vs Zeiss 15mm ZE, 21mm ZE

I would be interested in seeing flare examples from the TS-E 24 as well.

I agree the 17 will flare, however, I've yet to experience flare that was not very well controlled. Point light sources outside the frame shining on the front element will result in very small, (usually) easily retouched flare spots and I haven't yet been in a situation that caused massive contrast robbing flare. About the worst has been from lighting fixtures such as overhead fluorescent tubes, where the flare will be the shape of the tube. As Wayne noted, the best remedy for this with the 17 is blocking direct light from the front element, either with your hand or a card. Since this lens is often used with a camera on a tripod, this isn't such a problem. I would guess the Zeiss 15mm's large hood petals should be pretty effective in this kind of situation.

For my purposes, the benefit of shift at this focal length is extremely useful for perspective correction and stitching when a wider angle of view is needed. It's the primary reason the Zeiss 15mm (or Samyang 14mm) isn't on my radar.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.