New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

Okay, so my daughter is 21 months old now and becoming a lot more mobile. I don't have much experience shooting moving subjects, and so far my keeper rate has been very low, so I could use some advice. A typical scenario might be we're outside and she's running toward me or past me, and I want to track her and take a series of shots that are all in focus.

I have a custom setting with AI Servo, aperture priority, minimum shutter speed of 1/250, auto-ISO and Case 1 in the AF config tool. I've tried using f/2.8 and haven't gotten good results; is it unrealistic to expect the 5D3 to be able to focus accurately on a moving target with such a narrow depth of field? (I realize it depends on the lens; right now I have a Canon 24-70 II, 50L and Sigma 85/1.4.)

Would a different Case (i.e. Case 2, or maybe 4/5/6) be better?

Any tips you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

badlydrawnboy wrote:
...I've tried using f/2.8 and haven't gotten good results; is it unrealistic to expect the 5D3 to be able to focus accurately on a moving target with such a narrow depth of field?

It depends on the lens (and thus the distance) in question, but in general I would yes, narrow DoF and missed-focus shots go hand in hand.

May 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

Although I don't shoot a 5D3, I often shoot collegiate sports with a friend who does. We routinely shoot at f2 or 2.8 without much problem. It seems you should be able to nail focus, especially with the 50L (which is my favorite basketball lens).

May 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

The first thing you should do is prove that you have been keeping your focus point(s) on your subject the whole time you are tracking it.

May 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained/AF_guide_EOS-1DX_eng.pdf

Nearly everything will be the same for your 5D3

May 18, 2013 at 01:00 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

i'm wondering why you would shoot in auto-ISO ... if your going to leave the most important setting up to the camera you may as well shoot in P

May 18, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

badlydrawnboy wrote:
Okay, so my daughter is 21 months old now and becoming a lot more mobile. I don't have much experience shooting moving subjects, and so far my keeper rate has been very low, so I could use some advice. A typical scenario might be we're outside and she's running toward me or past me, and I want to track her and take a series of shots that are all in focus.

Kids running around can be a surprising difficult subject to track, I find.

Try using the Zone AF for a start and make sure to point the center of the Zone AF points at your daughter. You can also use center AF point with 8 expansion AF points, but that takes more practice. Using AF Case 5 or 6 might also be a good idea since those are more tailored to track erratic moving subjects.

May 18, 2013 at 04:33 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

I would try to keep a bit higher shutter speed, especially if you're using the tele end of the 70-200. At such shallow DOF, a moving subject could pass thru the focal plane before the exposure is completed.

May 18, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

1/250 is too slow in general, I'd use manual mode set 1/500-1/1000, f/5.6 (to start with) and try case 6 with 8 point expansion or zone and maybe set tracking sensitivity to -1. See if the higher shutter speed and greater DOF help. Using f/2.8 when very close to the subject is very demanding on the AF when DoF is so small. Use a DoF calculator to check the numbers for yourself with you typical FL and distance to subject.

Nothing wrong with auto ISO either.

May 18, 2013 at 04:51 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll give them all a shot.

May 18, 2013 at 08:01 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

kmunroe wrote:
i'm wondering why you would shoot in auto-ISO ... if your going to leave the most important setting up to the camera you may as well shoot in P

Wow! Narrow-minded, snarky and wrong - all in one shot!

Getting the shot and composition frequently (usually?) rate higher in priority than ISO. Very common example: you want to shoot wide-open for narrow DoF / subject isolation, but need shutter speed at least 1/xxx to avoid motion blur because the subject is moving quickly.

You want the best image quality you can get under those conditions. If lighting conditions are relatively static, yes, you can set ISO manually but when lighting conditions are variable (uneven lights on the stage or field, heavy clouds moving in and out, shadows in the stadium, etc.), auto-ISO is an excellent option.

There's nothing green box about it any more than shooting in Av or Tv mode.

May 18, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

Stoffer: Kids running around can be a surprising difficult subject to track, I find. Try using the Zone AF for a start and make sure to point the center of the Zone AF points at your daughter. You can also use center AF point with 8 expansion AF points, but that takes more practice.

I have very little practice in AI servo shooting. Here, I put it in case 1, center AF point with 8 expansion AF points. I just point it and hit the button.

This is about 70% cropped away, 5D3, 100-400L IS. This frame was at the end of this smoking 3 second run, the cheetah was clocking 70 mph. Notice that all 4 legs are in the air at one time. Acquiring focus while running directly at you or away from you really taxes the AF system. The 5D3 AF is just amazing!

Cheetah at 70 mph

May 18, 2013 at 01:45 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help with AF options for moving subjects on 5D3

Lars Johnsson wrote:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained/AF_guide_EOS-1DX_eng.pdf

Nearly everything will be the same for your 5D3

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Here's the link to the 5D III version, in case anyone is interested. http://cpn.canon-europe.com/de/files/product/cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/EOS_5D_Mark_III_AF_setting_guidebook.pdf

May 18, 2013 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.