Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · s95 vs gopro3

pizdets17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · s95 vs gopro3

Any idea which would be better underwater guys?

May 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Paspartoo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · s95 vs gopro3

I was also puzzled before I got s95 with underwater case. U got to be very delicate, not to scratch, not to drop etc. I chose it only for a reason of pictures s95 takes.I can use around without a case and if I go on vacation snorkeling or diving I put it in the case and I'm all set. Gopro3 is dedicated for video mostly and extreme situations for extreme sports, videos are great, but pictures...well there are few online to make a judgment.

May 23, 2013 at 01:40 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · s95 vs gopro3

I would expect the s95 to do pretty well but the controls to be pretty hard to access.

I have an s100, not an s95, and I don't have the waterproof case, but I used to have a G9 + the canon waterproof case and it was quite excellent underwater for a small camera. The s100 takes significantly better pictures in low light so should be pretty nice, at least for snorkeling. For scuba diving it's probably all about strobes.

Here's one about 20 feet down snorkeling.. grainy but it makes a pretty decent 8x10. The s95 and s100 are significantly better than this.

May 23, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · s95 vs gopro3

Does Go Pro shoot RAW? If not I'd get the S95.

May 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Paspartoo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · s95 vs gopro3

Amazing picture! Doubtful if gopro3 can shoot in raw. U can get s95 cheap now. BTW did you guys notice some waterproof cases on ebay shipped from China? They are exact replica of official DC43 for s100. I dont know about quality but look...identical...

May 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · s95 vs gopro3

If you will be shooting video exclusively, get the GoPro. It spanks anything anywhere near its price point.... For stills.. not so much... its OK, but clearly not its forte. No RAW and its ultra-wide lens while being good on video, seems a little too wide for many still applications.... i.e. you won't be doing anything anywhere near macro.

The S95 is a fine camera for a beginner underwater photographer. Stills are great and video is decent. If stills are in your plans with some video, get this one. The s95 has full manual control (full aperture, shutter, and ISO control just like an SLR) and shoots RAW -- two very essential items in underwater photography.

Even if experienced at "topside" shooting, you will essentially be relearning photography..... Read a lot: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/content/guide-underwater-photography

May 24, 2013 at 03:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · s95 vs gopro3

I bought one of these for $39.

http://www.amazon.com/Funai-SV310FX1B-Digital-Video-Camcorder/dp/B004EHYGC8

and I used one of these for $69 to seal it for underwater use

http://www.sealameal.com/

It's awkward, but useable for video and stills and remarkably, the invisible IR LED lights up objects nearby.

The video quality totally surprised me.

Smaller than a pack of cigarettes, the battery lasts for a little over an hour.

It's not an S95 or a GoPro3 - but it works and it's dirt cheap.

May 24, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · s95 vs gopro3

Gopro!

P/s are OK for macro and really clear water.

Wide is good for underwater--you just gotta get close.

The inherent IQ of the camera has less bearing for UW work, RAW helps, but shooting through less water with an UWA lens is often more important,

May 24, 2013 at 03:33 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · s95 vs gopro3

Have you read the reviews on the latest GoPro. Check out Amazon. I doubt you will buy one after that. They really messed up with this latest version.

May 24, 2013 at 04:31 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · s95 vs gopro3

yea I read those. Ive taken this s95 down to 120 feet with no issues, gopro looked good on paper but I guess I will stick with my s95 thanks gents!

May 24, 2013 at 07:16 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · s95 vs gopro3

pizdets17 wrote:
yea I read those. Ive taken this s95 down to 120 feet with no issues, gopro looked good on paper but I guess I will stick with my s95 thanks gents!

You will not regret it. I happily shot underwater for a couple of years with an S90 (same as S95 minus HD video) until I saved up enough for a 5D Mk II housing.

I also have a GoPro I got for my birthday. Its OK for what it does. I bolt it to one of the strobe arms of my SLR and shoot video that way or give it to a non-photographer dive buddy and tell them to have fun with it. Its a neat little POV video camera, just not for serious still work.

Enjoy!

May 24, 2013 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password