New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

codetalker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

This is an incredibly naive question, but I've never been out of the country and will soon be going to Ireland.
Will I have any issues when returning to the U.S. with my 5D/24-105/17-40 in that I would be asked proof that I did not buy the gear in Ireland? I realize that to us camera types that would be a ridiculous question considering how much cheaper such equipment would be in the United States, but a Customs Agent might not know such. Thanks for any insights.

May 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I have never been asked for proof of ownership of my gear as far as origin of purchase. I have been asked about its usage though when entering some countries.

May 17, 2013 at 01:39 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

codetalker wrote:
Will I have any issues when returning to the U.S. with my 5D/24-105/17-40 in that I would be asked proof that I did not buy the gear in Ireland?

In general there's no import duty on still camera equipment brought into the US. See the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the US, Ch. 90, section 9006 and below. If you're feeling particularly anxious you can get a customs form at your port of exit, enter the equipment and serial numbers, then get a customs officer to sign and stamp it.

I'm going to Ireland myself this summer and I go there quite a bit. You will love it - just be careful driving...

May 18, 2013 at 09:00 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Just returned from the French West Indies yesterday. Traveled with a full camera bag (approx $9000). The US Entrance form the airline hands you in flight has a place for declarations and specifically talks about purchases made abroad by US citizens indicating there is a $800 exemption. Camera bag was on my shoulder the entire time through US Customs with no problem, or questions. Do not worry, go have a fun and SAFE trip.

May 18, 2013 at 09:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I've traveled extensively and never, ever had a problem with photo gear when returning to the US. The only thing that might trigger questions is if you have equipment new in the box.

EBH

May 18, 2013 at 09:18 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Been to over 100 countries. Never questioned about carrying up to four cameras,

several lenses, etc. by customs. However, airport security especially in Holland,

makes me take out of the bags all the stuff. Just came back from a month in

Berlin. US customs at LAX was asking everyone the same question:

"Do you have more than $10,000?" The government must be running

out of money.

May 18, 2013 at 09:47 AM
rockant
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

garydavidjones wrote:
. US customs at LAX was asking everyone the same question:

"Do you have more than $10,000?"

Coming back from Indonesia I said "I wish!", when asked if I had more that $10,000 dollars.

May 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

garydavidjones wrote:
Been to over 100 countries. Never questioned about carrying up to four cameras,

several lenses, etc. by customs. However, airport security especially in Holland,

makes me take out of the bags all the stuff. Just came back from a month in

Berlin. US customs at LAX was asking everyone the same question:

"Do you have more than $10,000?" The government must be running

out of money.

They're trying to prevent money laundering. It's not that you can't bring in/out more cash-- it's that transactions/movement of cash in that quantity or higher are subject to registration/tracking. Same limit, except in euros, applies in the EU.

As for customs and the U.S.... not a thing to worry about re your camera gear. But don't bring back any non-packaged foods. That will piss them off to no end.

May 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM
codetalker
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Thanks to all for the replies. I really appreciate it.

May 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Customs once tore apart my wife's Kotex supply in her bag--actually cut them open--gave us a hard time about a blanket we bought in Korea but didn't touch my camera bag. Didn't even say they were sorry after dumping out her bag and finding nothing (they seemed irritated we were actually law abiding citizens). However, most of the time they barely look at us.

May 21, 2013 at 07:06 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Another vote for "noting to worry about" here. Traveled all over the world and nary a problem. The only place I've ever even heard whispers of issues was about Peru - apparently there was a time when Peru was attempting to charge some sort of fee/tax for "professional cameras" brought into country (or out - can't recall). That was at least a year ago, and maybe several. I doubt it is still going on...

Gochugogi wrote:
Customs once tore apart my wife's Kotex supply in her bag--actually cut them open--gave us a hard time about a blanket we bought in Korea but didn't touch my camera bag. Didn't even say they were sorry after dumping out her bag and finding nothing (they seemed irritated we were actually law abiding citizens). However, most of the time they barely look at us.

That is pretty crazy - they must have had a tip of some sort. Probably frustrated they'd missed the "real" guys or were taken for suckers (which isn't a reason to be rude to you...)

May 24, 2013 at 05:24 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

As long as they in the bag and not in original boxes

May 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I have never once been asked about this sort of thing in any country i have visited or returned to.

May 27, 2013 at 02:38 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I've never been to Ireland, but I've flown to the UK many times. The only problem I have had with camera gear is that the weight and size limits for carry-on baggage are sometimes more strictly enforced at Heathrow. You are hereby warned.

May 29, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

peter_n wrote:
If you're feeling particularly anxious you can get a customs form at your port of exit, enter the equipment and serial numbers, then get a customs officer to sign and stamp it.

Yes, this is what we often do in the film industry when hand carrying equipment to non-carnet countries.

If you make your "Shipping list" before you get to the airport it is normally a very quick process to get it rubber stamped in the customs office at the airport before you check in for your flight.

You may have to fill out an "Accompanied baggage" form as well depending on how the customs officer is feeling at the time.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the forms with stills gear though as it isn't worth enough money for the customs to get excited about.

May 29, 2013 at 02:55 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Israel is one country where they will go through each and every piece of photo equipment - just to make sure it is what it is (not explosive) - medium format lenses, ballheads and tripods get more scrutiny than 35mm items...It is for security purposes and no interest in who owns it; whether it will be sold or given as a gift, etc.

On the other hand, Thailand (Bangkok) international airport - just grab your bags and on you go...(leaving or entering).

May 29, 2013 at 08:27 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

Mike V wrote:
Yes, this is what we often do in the film industry when hand carrying equipment to non-carnet countries.

If you make your "Shipping list" before you get to the airport it is normally a very quick process to get it rubber stamped in the customs office at the airport before you check in for your flight.

Click on this to download the form.

May 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I always travel with copies of receipts of gear just in case.

Going back and forth between France and US for 20 years, got controlled once in US and twice in France. Since had receipts 0 problem.

Mark

May 29, 2013 at 01:01 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

I once got stopped entering Tunisia by a female customs agent because she didn't know what Tampaxs were and also Christmas Tree Ornaments. She had to ask another another customs agent about the Tampax. Needless to say, we were never asked to bring these things into Tunisia for our US employees there. It was a little embarrassing.

May 29, 2013 at 02:08 PM
howatthunter
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Travel question - equipment when returning to US

If you are paranoid like I am, you can get your property registered with US Customs before you leave with this form. I have never been questioned. But, I am prepared.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

May 29, 2013 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.