FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

Image1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

I have been out of the wedding business for many years, but I'm curious if with all of the changes in the way we view photos nowadays on Computer Screens and digital frames ...Do couples still prefer the printed album or are they leaning more towards screen viewing their photos?

May 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

I think it depends on your market/clientele...if you book higher end packages, and attract that kind of customer, they prob value an album a little more....budget brides, for the most part, will prob be fine with a dvd...it's up to you to communicate the value of and importance of an album.

May 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

I think there's a generation of folks who are going to seriously regret not having printed images. Prints last a lifetime. Whatever digital device you're looking at right now won't likely be with you in 5 or 10 years, and certainly not in 20 years.

May 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
njphotog75

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

seems like you've been out of the business a lonngggg time...lol. i agree with nathan, budget brides will just want a dvd and will go to walmart for prints...do you really want that to happen? stressing the importance of an album is essential.

May 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

It's up to the photographer to educate the client on why both digital AND print are valuable; and why they should print through a professional lab with the photographer in control.

May 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

NathanHamler wrote:
I think it depends on your market/clientele...if you book higher end packages, and attract that kind of customer, they prob value an album a little more....budget brides, for the most part, will prob be fine with a dvd...it's up to you to communicate the value of and importance of an album.

+ 1 BUT LESS AND LESS PRINT PRODUCTS...

May 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

One of the reasons I only release printing to pro labs. We have two local and they are priced pennies more than Walmart! Both have an online up-loader as well so they can order from home if they want. I have comparison prints I show my clients. One I placed in a window to show them how it yellow/fades if its a cheap print. Only sat there a couple months, instant fade...

Walmart near me is Very strict with releases... go figure!

May 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

NYstyles wrote:
One of the reasons I only release printing to pro labs. We have two local and they are priced pennies more than Walmart! Both have an online up-loader as well so they can order from home if they want. I have comparison prints I show my clients. One I placed in a window to show them how it yellow/fades if its a cheap print. Only sat there a couple months, instant fade...

Walmart near me is Very strict with releases... go figure!

I'm pretty sure any print will fade when placed by a window like that if it's not protected with proper glass/framing... lol

May 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Image1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

Thanks for all of your opinions! ..I understand that a lot of you probably make your money on those prints & Albums, ..I didn't mean people were going to run down to Walmart and Print them for a cheaper price! ..What I'm asking is, ..with the new Digital viewing methods, are people still as interested in Prints! ...Nobody these days reaches into their wallet to show you a print anymore! ...they show them on their iphone! ..so I was simply wondering ...if wedding albums were headed that way as well!

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

May 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

TTLKurtis wrote:
I'm pretty sure any print will fade when placed by a window like that if it's not protected with proper glass/framing... lol

Sure over time but I put two pictures side by side and the pro print didnt even fade one bit. Its just to prove a point.

May 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

NYstyles wrote:
Sure over time but I put two pictures side by side and the pro print didnt even fade one bit. Its just to prove a point.

Interesting. The pro print, exposed directly to sun through a window, did not fade at all? I'm actually surprised.

May 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

TTLKurtis wrote:
Interesting. The pro print, exposed directly to sun through a window, did not fade at all? I'm actually surprised.

I did about a two month test so Im sure it would of it sat longer. The window also does not have direct sun all day. About half the day. The Walmart print faded fast! You could see a perfect line where the matte was! lol

May 17, 2013 at 01:16 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

My prints don't fade. I put one completely exposed on the roof, for 12 months, and it looked fine for the most part. The paper was a bit more curled from extreme heat, but the color and quality was still good.

May 17, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

We still get lots of albums/prints out. Disc only is slowly catching up. So far can't attribute it to budget or not because our disc only is even more expensive than packages with prints.

May 17, 2013 at 05:26 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

sboerup wrote:
My prints don't fade. I put one completely exposed on the roof, for 12 months, and it looked fine for the most part. The paper was a bit more curled from extreme heat, but the color and quality was still good.

A) Who do you print through? B) If you print yourself, would you care to let us in on what paper you use?

May 17, 2013 at 05:36 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Computer screen Vs. Prints in Albums

Well damn, I suppose I should do a little experiment, I think clients would be interested in seeing those results. Sounds like it could even go on the website it's obvious enough of a difference.

May 17, 2013 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.