Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

1 picture that represents my life

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · 1 picture that represents my life

friscoron wrote:
I completely agree, Chuck, and appreciate all you have to say here. The best photographs are capturing real moments in life. That's the power of Family PJ.

Thanks again!
Ron

Thanks Ron! My friend Daniel shared a harrowing experience that he and his family had to endure over on our Family Photojournalist blog: http://thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-surgery-documentary.html#comment-form

After wiping tears from viewing such an intimate set from the inside, I went back and reread the last paragraph of his introduction to the documentary:

"Lastly, it has been my observation that emotions are often absent in photography, save the smiles and laughs, which, while valuable, belie an existence none of us can know exclusively. Sadness and pain are real. If we choose to omit those in our documentary, we do a disservice to our remembrance and create an artificial life, bereft of the things that made us value one another more deeply. I found no reason to leave my camera at home. This is our life, after all. For good or bad, I wanted to remember it. What follows are the moments from first entering the imaging area and donning the hospital pajamas to our eventual homecoming and the beginning of a new chapter of recovery. What follows is my view of those events."

While I can appreciate the beauty of a well crafted portrait of photographer's children, they rarely move me due to the contrived nature. I cannot put myself in that moment. I think this is in large part because they often have no 'feeling' or 'meaning'. Images like yours posted in this thread, Ron, have soul, meaning, and purpose.

May 22, 2013 at 01:08 PM
bbourizk
• • •
p.3 #2 · 1 picture that represents my life

Ron old mate, this is beautiful.
I think many of us fathers with girls feel the same way.
Thanks for sharing this mate.
Bud

May 22, 2013 at 03:13 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #3 · 1 picture that represents my life

canerino wrote:
Thanks Ron! My friend Daniel shared a harrowing experience that he and his family had to endure over on our Family Photojournalist blog: http://thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-surgery-documentary.html#comment-form
After wiping tears from viewing such an intimate set from the inside, I went back and reread the last paragraph of his introduction to the documentary:
"Lastly, it has been my observation that emotions are often absent in photography, save the smiles and laughs, which, while valuable, belie an existence none of us can know exclusively. Sadness and pain are real. If we choose to omit those in our documentary, we do a disservice to our remembrance
...Show more

Chuck, I love what Daniel has to say. The difficult things that we go through help make us who we are as we grow and mature, get older and wiser, and really start appreciating life in ways that we never could when we were too young and inexperienced to understand that.

A year ago, my Dad was in the hospital in New Mexico dying. Our whole family gathered and the atmosphere was very jovial during those times that Dad was conscious and interacting with us. Meanwhile, I had an uncle and a cousin and his wife who came from California to... well, I don't know what they were there for... to commiserate? I showed up with my camera and they just were appalled that I would take pictures of my dying father. So disgusted that they refused to come up to his room while I was there.

But we still celebrating his life! And those pictures that I took that day, and the surrounding days, were some of the most meaningful pictures I've ever taken. Here's the link: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1140864

I don't expect everyone to agree that I should have been taking pictures then, everyone deals with those things differently, but this is exactly what your friend Daniel was talking about up there.

Ron

Edited on May 22, 2013 at 04:08 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2013 at 03:54 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #4 · 1 picture that represents my life

bbourizk wrote:
Ron old mate, this is beautiful.
I think many of us fathers with girls feel the same way.
Thanks for sharing this mate.
Bud

Thanks, Bud! I'm pretty confident I was speaking (and shooting) for all fathers with daughters (and sons). There's no better role in life.

May 22, 2013 at 03:55 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #5 · 1 picture that represents my life

Excellent work. Family is the most important subject, in my opinion.

May 27, 2013 at 06:07 PM
bcguy
• •
p.3 #6 · 1 picture that represents my life

Wow, that photo really does represent the best in life, doesn't it? My two year old son does that, and it makes my day every time he does.

Jun 01, 2013 at 06:45 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #7 · 1 picture that represents my life

tobicus wrote:
Excellent work. Family is the most important subject, in my opinion.

Not just important, but so much fun!

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:48 PM

friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #8 · 1 picture that represents my life

bcguy wrote:
Wow, that photo really does represent the best in life, doesn't it? My two year old son does that, and it makes my day every time he does.

Isn't that the best? It's so cool to see their excitement in just seeing you. Neat! Thanks for commenting.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:49 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.3 #9 · 1 picture that represents my life

Awesome essay, Ron! Thanks for sharing! I got a little of that from my wife and two girls after returning from Korea last week. I was gone for 385 days and they've (we've) been making up for each second since I stepped off the plane. I'm happy to see you treasuring your family as I do mine.

Kevin

Jun 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM
hsk06
• • •
p.3 #10 · 1 picture that represents my life

Great pic, great post.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM
scottiet
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · 1 picture that represents my life

Thanks Ron.

I truly believe that the best things in life are free "so to speak". You're a rich man!

Thanks for sharing!

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:02 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #12 · 1 picture that represents my life

no_surrender wrote:
Awesome essay, Ron! Thanks for sharing! I got a little of that from my wife and two girls after returning from Korea last week. I was gone for 385 days and they've (we've) been making up for each second since I stepped off the plane. I'm happy to see you treasuring your family as I do mine.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. I'm glad you're back and enjoying your current vacation.

I think this thing really resonated with people like us, who really value our families. It's refreshing to see so many of us like that. And not surprising at all.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:52 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #13 · 1 picture that represents my life

hsk06 wrote:
Great pic, great post.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:52 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.3 #14 · 1 picture that represents my life

scottiet wrote:
Thanks Ron.

I truly believe that the best things in life are free "so to speak". You're a rich man!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, scottiet, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty confident a lot of us are rich.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:53 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password