New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shipwrecked

3ntreri
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipwrecked

This was a 17-shot panorama taken at an old ship graveyard / breakwater.

When I composed the shot in my head, it included a 2nd wreck a little further out in the water just to the right of the frame, unfortunately, my technique let me down and there's a big gap so I've had to crop it a little differently.

What do you think... does it still work?

May 16, 2013 at 06:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipwrecked

I don't find the composition compelling. Seems rather random. Also, the figures seem too well camouflaged unless your purpose is to effectively play "where's Waldo?".

May 16, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipwrecked

Sorry, Aunti, but I think we are not on the same wavelength today. I don't mind the composition. I think the figures are a sort of a cool surprise. With a 17 shot pano to work with, this would probably look great printed really large.

May 16, 2013 at 09:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shipwrecked

Interesting utilization of the shipwreck with the figures. Not quite sure what I think about them, but with their inclusion in the scene it makes the image more of an "artist statement" than a scenic.

That being said, the extra space to the right of the shipwreck doesn't do much for me, I'd consider cropping just right of the wreck. It still leaves a smidgeon of water, but we don't really need a lot of water to convey the shipwreck aspect, and the extra space to the right pulls us away (for me) from the "artist statement" which I'm assuming is predicated upon the shipwreck and the figures ... even if I haven't thought it through yet to connect to the intended message.

May 16, 2013 at 09:31 PM
3ntreri
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shipwrecked

Thanks for the feedback!

@Auntipode, You're right, I don't like the centered ship. My original intent was to have it off to the left with the other shipwreck balancing the right. Theoretically the two figures would have fallen where the 1/3rd lines intersect, with the rusty beams leading you towards them; but unfortunately I missed a crucial shot on the other ship. Maybe some dodging & burning will help your eye find the figures.

@Camperjim, Thanks, I've got some 17x25" metallic paper waiting for this shot specifically

@Rustybug, The shoot was at the request of a pair of figurative models, so they're definitely meant to be the focus. I was hoping to try to show the scale of the wreck and make them feel small/vulnerable in the scene, maybe I wasn't totally successful in that. I'll keep working the image!

May 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM
3ntreri
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shipwrecked

I'm thinking this one is stronger compositionally, but I feel like it's missing the sense of scale:

May 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shipwrecked

It's a bit centered and static. I would lop a chunk off either the left or right side to make the composition a little more interesting. However, I do like it.

If the models are meant to be the focus, the second is probably the better option. But even in that one, they're a bit small looking.

May 17, 2013 at 02:28 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shipwrecked

Perhaps recomposed for better balance and a darker mood to also make the subjects less obscure.

Edited on May 17, 2013 at 06:36 AM · View previous versions

May 17, 2013 at 06:16 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shipwrecked

I like the second one because the subject aren't easily overlooked. But maybe some selective darkening to put more emphasis on the subjects should be considered?

May 17, 2013 at 06:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shipwrecked

Some discussion about scale ... what is your intended point/message for the piece?

Are you trying to make an artistic statement in which the models are to be diminutive to illustrate the insignificance of their strength against the power of natural forces (wind/wave/ocean/time decay/etc.)?

Or, is this to be a marketing piece intended to draw attention to the models or the impact that models can have on a piece?

Or, ...

How to approach the use of scale @ compression/foreshortening/mass kinda depends on what/where the focal point of your intended message is. As an image, without a pertinent perspective/point, all versions we've seen so far have a degree of compelling intrigue to them for me ... but each one varies in what/where that is in accord with the changes. They key is to align your technique to draw your viewers to your message/point/intent. Thus, defining your intent comes first.

Karen has shown nicely how the use of a given technique can change the vibe of the message and draw us more clearly to a give area, which btw I'm diggin' the revealed muscularity in the second one.

Whether or not that achieves your goals/message for the image goes back to knowing what your goal/message for the piece is. The better/more detailed you can define your goals for a piece, the better you can use you techniques (camera, lighting & pp) to achieve that end. By the time we see the image, only pp remains at our disposal ... nice camera pano work, btw Even with all the lines in play, I'd have likely not guessed it.

Took a stab at the first one ... trying to retain the scale delta and still bring us to the models. Cropped knowing you've got plenty of pixels to play with even if it shows kinda small here.

As always, S&P to taste.

May 17, 2013 at 07:50 AM
ktan7

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shipwrecked

Wow! Pretty cool shot! Where was this?

May 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.