New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

toupac
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

Hi,
So I posted this in a different forum section but was told I may get more responses here. Anyway, I currently have my Canon 5Dc in a local shop to have the sensor cleaned. I just got a call from the service repair rep who says that there are marks on the anti-aliasing filter that they cannot clean off. 3 options: leave the marks on the filter, replace with a new filter, or take off the filter. My question is which would be the best option? Do the marks affect image quality? Is it worth it to replace with a new filter (she said around ~ 300$)? Do, I need the anti-aliasing filter in the first place? The service rep who contacted me said that it was needed or else it would also cause detection of infrared rays? I was under the impression that it was mainly used for jaggies and moire. Any information regarding this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tou

May 16, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

@ $300, I would rather just keep it on or take it off, definitely not replace. Did you notice any issue with your pictures before sending it in for cleaning?

May 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

AA filter is used to not get moiré, jaggies and false color. Reason why they said part about IR, is that it goes like this - sensor - CFA layer - AA filter - UVIR - sometimes cover glass or vibrating anti-dust system on top of that (1DMK3 has one).

So if you remove AA filter, you need to replace it with clear optical glass with same thickness as AA filter and put UVIR filter on that. Maybe they cant get separated UVIRs?

Im more curious how in the world can AA filter be dirty? Cause AA filter is usually glued together with UVIR. And everything is put into whole sensor sandwich which is pretty tightly together. Thats really wierd.

Otherwise AA filter in 5Dc is bit funny thing as it does pretty poor job in preventing moiré. Probably along with 1Ds, its one of those cams that have AA filter, yet they do moiré in every possible moment when it can do it . So no, I wouldnt say its mandatory in 5Dc. You would get a lot sharper output without AA. But ofc even more moiré than usually. Up to you.

And up to that shop if they can pull conversion to AA less camera. If not MaxMax can I think, just ask them.

Dirty AA filter causes same issues as dirty UVIR on top of it, dust splotches etc. Depends how big and intesive it is.

May 16, 2013 at 06:26 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

Dudewithoutape wrote:
... Did you notice any issue with your pictures before sending it in for cleaning?

This is the question that has to be answered before any valid advice can be offered.
- Steve

May 16, 2013 at 06:37 PM
toupac
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

There were definitely dust spots on my pictures... one of the reasons why I sent my camera in to get cleaned in the first place. I figured it was just from the sensor being dirty. I'm not sure if the sensor cleaning itself will get rid of all the spots now because of the marks on the AA filter. I've just been photoshopping the dust spots out of my pictures in the meantime. It can be worked around but just tedious and time consuming. FYI, I have no idea how the marks got on the AA filter.

May 16, 2013 at 06:53 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

How anyone can own a DSLR and not know how to clean it is beyond me. It's very simple, very inexpensive, and there are countless instructional threads here on FM and the 'net. Buy yourself the appropriate supplies, learn the task, and continue to enjoy the great 5Dc. In most cases all you'll need is an occasional blast of clean air from a Giottos Rocket Blaster, but first you need to start with a properly cleaned sensor. Sounds like your 5Dc sensor might need a good "wet" cleaning. Here's a push in the right direction:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/?pr=tutorials

May 16, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

May 16, 2013 at 08:07 PM
toupac
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

dcains wrote:
How anyone can own a DSLR and not know how to clean it is beyond me. It's very simple, very inexpensive, and there are countless instructional threads here on FM and the 'net. Buy yourself the appropriate supplies, learn the task, and continue to enjoy the great 5Dc. In most cases all you'll need is an occasional blast of clean air from a Giottos Rocket Blaster, but first you need to start with a properly cleaned sensor. Sounds like your 5Dc sensor might need a good "wet" cleaning. Here's a push in the right direction:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/?pr=tutorials

Thanks. For some reason, I remember reading somewhere a while back that it wasn't advised to clean your camera sensor (due to possible damage) by yourself and that it should be done professionally. So I never attempted to do it myself. After reading some DIY tutorials and watching some YT videos, however, I feel sheepish now. It seems pretty easy to me and relatively safe as long as you follow proper procedure. I guess I could've saved a bunch of $$$ over the years... Oh well, better late than never.

May 16, 2013 at 09:41 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

I learnt how to clean my 5Dc sensor with the copperhill stuff. I was very nervous the first time but was very careful not to apply too much pressure with the wet pad. Works great, but I don't do it too often. Usually a blast of air from a blower does the rick.

May 17, 2013 at 05:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

toupac wrote:
Thanks. For some reason, I remember reading somewhere a while back that it wasn't advised to clean your camera sensor (due to possible damage) by yourself and that it should be done professionally.

That was probably said by the people who offer the cleaning service.

I use VisibleDust (Arctic Butterfly, Sensor clean fluid, and sensor swabs), and a LensPen SensorKlean thingy.

May 17, 2013 at 07:32 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

jcolwell wrote:
I use VisibleDust (Arctic Butterfly, Sensor clean fluid, and sensor swabs), and a LensPen SensorKlean thingy.

95% of the time I use a Lenspen on my sensors, along with a Giottos blower (both pre- and post-) and that does the trick. I do have the wet-cleaning supplies, but honestly can't recall the last time I had to use them. Here's are a few more links:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318545-REG/Giottos_AA1910_Rocket_Air_Blower.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/604569-REG/Lenspen_LENSK1A_SensorKlear_II_with_Articulated.html

Looks like B&H only have the articulated lenspen now, although I've always used the straight ones. Adorama has those:

http://www.adorama.com/CPSK.html

May 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5Dc Anti-Aliasing v. Dirty

veroman wrote:
This is the question that has to be answered before any valid advice can be offered.
- Steve

That doesnt really help, cause you cant tell sensor dust from supposed "AA filter dust".

I would suggest keeping camera as it is and try how bad it is.

Issue is pretty strange and as Im paranoid and suspicious guy, I would say that maybe when they did cleaning, they for example scratched UVIR/cover glass and now they want to cover it with mysterious AA filter dust so they wouldnt need to pay for replacement. Just one idea.. might be completely wrong ofc.

May 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.