New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

I have a lens I bought brand new when I moved over to Nikon in 2010 I believe. Two days ago while on assignment I noticed the rubber grip on the zoom part is coming loose. And not just a little it's actually about 1/3 of the way around. My question is, is this common? I'm very easy on my equipment, but between this and my 400MM F2.8 it's my next most used lens.

Is this something covered by Nikon's warranty? Is this common? I have shot with several brands over the years and I have never had this happen on any lens.

If not covered where would you send it to have it repaired?

Matt

May 16, 2013 at 03:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

Hi Matt, you'd probably be better off just gluing it yourself.

May 16, 2013 at 03:21 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

Hmmm I'm not sure I'd be too interested in glueing down the rubber part on the zoom ring. It gets worked a lot I'm sure while I am working, and I'd hate to get glue down in between moving parts of the lens and stationary ones.
If I were to glue it what type of glue would you suggest? I'd hate to be without this lens, and it's more of an PITA then a real problem because it won't cause it to not function, it just feels weird while I'm working and I don't want to rip it the rest of the way off.

Matt

May 16, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

Nikon covered mine under warranty. I wasn't a fan of glueing it down, either.

May 16, 2013 at 09:14 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

I repared it with double side foam tape: remove the rubber ring, but leave on the lens, cut the tape to 1/2 the width of the tape, put it in middle of the ring position, remove the protection and put the ring back and after a week it is nearly as flat as it was or buy a new one.

I never found a glue that will stick on Nikon rubber parts, all parts I tried glueing on my camera the rubber came from the camera and the glue still sticked on the camera(metal and plastic parts)

May 17, 2013 at 04:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

consider that Nikon does not glue it down to begin with. contact Nikon.

May 17, 2013 at 06:15 AM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

If the lens is a USA model and you have the paperwork, they come with a 5 year warrantee. The loose rubber should be covered. If you have used the lens enough to loosen the rubber in 3 years of use, wouldn't hurt to send in for a CLA at same time. I recently did the same with my 70-200 sending it to Melville. Came back good as new. Attempting a home repair while the item is still under warrantee is probably good way to void the warrantee in Nikon's view.

May 17, 2013 at 08:11 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

Thank you everyone. I'm headed off for a quick vacation. When I get back I will send it off. I bought it new as a USA model from B&H so getting a copy of my receipt won't be a problem. And although being without it will be a PITA for a bit. I'd like it to be fixed.

Matt

May 17, 2013 at 08:14 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

If I remember right, Matt, there were a few 24-70's that also had the zoom rings get stretched out like this, but those were back when Nikon would send the part to you. Might want to see if maybe they'll send the ring to you.

May 19, 2013 at 09:12 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

well here is my "fix" since I'm told I can't get the part to fix this myself. I've ordered a new lens, since I literally use this lens Everyday! It will arrive from B&H tomorrow. I'm sending the still under warranty lens off to have the zoom ring rubber replaced, then when it gets back I'll sell one or the other. I can't be without my most used lens in a busy summer! Sucks that I can't buy a ring myself, and Nikon tells me it may be 3-4 weeks to have just that replaced!

Matt

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 70-200F2.8 VRII issue

If it is anything like camera bodies, when the rubber starts to peel it stretches and won't go back into the same place so resticking is a bad idea.

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.