Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

We had a big storm in Dallas last night. Once it stopped raining and there was some lightning in the distance I broke out the NEX7 and a c/y 28-85 lens and set up for 28mm f5.6 ISO 100

I put the camera on a tripod and tried bulb exposures with the remote but they kept coming out too bright. I put a polarizer on and it was hit and miss - mainly miss.

I kept missing good strikes while 'processing' so I turned off noise reduction and went to manual mode at between 1-3.2 seconds. I could click these off as fast as recording almost all of the time but by then the storm was about done.

I see I can get a 'lightning strike sensor' if I want to get more into this. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Lightning Storm by Zeissgeist

May 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

Works and works well!

May 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

One of the downfalls of the NEX 7. No way to wire it. And I think the IR lag will be an issue.

May 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

I think you did really well with this image as is.....!
cheers Andrew

May 16, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

Living in Texas, you'll no doubt get plenty more opportunities in the next few months.

Try manual mode. A basic lightning recipe is ISO 100, f/6.7, and shutter speeds long enough to record the clouds, scenery, etc. Alter the aperture to accommodate the lightning's brightness - f2.8 for distant or unusually dim lightning, and f/32 if the neighbor's house is on fire. Set continuous shooting, mash the shutter, and make like Rambo. RAW is preferred since you'll likely want to play with the black and white points, etc.

You'll obviously need to set and lock the focus manually. Disabling any image stabilization, etc. is probably a good idea as well.

Lack of a cable trigger is a minor pain. Maybe you can bodge together a mechanical finger that will hold the shutter down and allow continuous shooting? Can the camera be controlled by a laptop via the USB link?

Lightning triggers are 'OK' but not necessary unless you absolutely need to catch daylight storms. In many cases the lag between detection and shutter opening means that the camera misses most of the branching stepped-leaders, leaving you with somewhat less impressive 'pencil' lightning. In any event, without a connection, the idea is kind of irrelevant...

Have fun!

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

May 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Lightning Shots with a NEX7 - Lightning Triggers ?

Lightning is easiest captured with longer shutter speeds (8-30 seconds). The remote you are using should be just fine. With longer shutter speeds you won't need to worry about lag of not catching the strike. I agree with Greg with using a the lower iso of 100 and a f stop of 6.7 would be just fine. What really makes a compelling lightning strike is a decent composition to go with it. So good luck in the future with your captures and be careful.. Know when to run for cover.

Charlie

May 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.