Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Majestic Metlako 2

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Majestic Metlako 2

This is a re post of a very similar image I posted last year. It is from another frame (the other can be seen on my website).

Story: I moved back to the Portland, Oregon area from Vegas a little over a year ago and since then I have been literally obsessed with the jaw dropping beauty of the Columbia River Gorge! It took moving to a desert to open my eyes (not that I did not think it was beautiful before).

The goal on this was the least obstructed shot possible from this angle. It took harnessing up and a small rappel to get it. I used my tripod and stuck it out on a tree limb hanging out of the top of the 120-150 foot cliff (straight down). I used the tripod at maximum length and used the timer to take the shots. Many attempts where made because I could not frame the image at all. I had to guess at where my camera was generally pointing. Bracketing for dynamic range (and such) was totally out of the question (thus the water on the falls is a tad hot).

For those who have not been here, this is about a 100 foot waterfall (the length the water falling) surrounded by walls around 150 feet tall in every direction (then above that mountainous steep terrain seemingly to the sky). Photos do not do it justice in any way! If you get close to the falls it roars so loudly that your ears can literally ring for days. It sounds like a freight train right next to you and feels even more powerful!

Lastly, it is amazing to spend any length of time here. You may see the occasional extreme Kayaker actually go off it! There was a couple guys who went off it a while back in a tandem Kayak and I think it may have been a world record. I talked with some of the guys and common injuries are: ruptured eardrums, spinal injuries, concussions, hernias... crazy stuff.

Canon 5D Mark2
Canon 24-105@24
100 ISO
f/22
1.5 sec exposure
a partner for safety

As always most accurately viewed on a calibrated monitor, using Safari, Chrome or Firefox.

May 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • •
p.1 #2 · Majestic Metlako 2

An atmospheric scene, well composed. I don't much like this long an exposure. Say, 0.6 sec may have worked better, in my view.

May 16, 2013 at 12:52 AM
sachman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Majestic Metlako 2

Wow that's commitment, outstanding shot in every aspect!

May 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Majestic Metlako 2

Incredible shot Mark.
Harsha

May 16, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #5 · Majestic Metlako 2

I love the background story..Awesome!!I would never be able to do that, but the effort involved makes the picture even more intriguing..

Nothing better than suffering and struggling for your art!!

May 16, 2013 at 01:46 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #6 · Majestic Metlako 2

Oooooh!! This one is captivating! The light, environment and colors are spectacular!! This is a wall hanger for sure.
Dave

May 16, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #7 · Majestic Metlako 2

Fantastic!

May 16, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #8 · Majestic Metlako 2

An 'A' for the effort Mark and the same grade for the resulting unique image. Maybe you can hang around longer next time to capture one of those crazy kayakers going over!

May 16, 2013 at 02:18 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #9 · Majestic Metlako 2

very nice!

I remember years ago, when I was younger and more daring/stupid, I worked my way along the edge from the lookout towards the falls. I specifically remember bending down to get something and thinking I was going over the edge. Fortunately I managed to keep my balance, but had nightmares about it later!

I recall if I went much further I would get into thick brush/trees so you must have really been out there to get a clear view.

I like the fog at the top as it adds interest. I am curious if you shot any that were wider than this though seeing how you used a 24-105 at 24mm this is probably as wide as you could go without starting the process over.

Great stuff!

May 16, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Majestic Metlako 2

dwa652 wrote:
very nice!

I remember years ago, when I was younger and more daring/stupid, I worked my way along the edge from the lookout towards the falls. I specifically remember bending down to get something and thinking I was going over the edge. Fortunately I managed to keep my balance, but had nightmares about it later!

I recall if I went much further I would get into thick brush/trees so you must have really been out there to get a clear view.

I like the fog at the top as it adds interest. I am curious if you shot any that were wider than
...Show more

Thank you.

Glad you didn't fall over! I am glad you were ok. I understand how these events can freak you out for a while (and should).

Doing this work as much as I do these days and having been hard at it over 10 years now, I have had a lot of close calls. Thus the roping up these days! Actually 2 weeks ago I was in this very same area doing a private workshop and was talking to my client as we were climbing around near the edge (in a different place). I put my right hand weight on my hiking pole but the hiking pole slipped out and I almost went over. Those close calls, like yours as you describe here, are REALITY checks!!! I fell a bit but I grabbed a tree and was OK, but it could have been a disaster. After these types of things I always take them fully to heart to learn everything I can from my mistakes so that I don't ever make that mistake again and am more careful in the future. My dad has had a 50 year mountaineering career (and still climbing strong at 75) after climbing just about every mountain imaginable. He too has had his share of close calls (is writing a book about his experiences) but has been very vigilant to be very smart and careful in his climbing. That has taught me a lot!

As far as a wider angle... this was wider but I cropped a lot out (and it was distracting stuff anyway). I had not aimed my camera dead on (nearly impossible to do) so I had to liberally crop to get the area corrected.

May 16, 2013 at 03:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Majestic Metlako 2

Hey Mark,

Nice work on this one, it has a cool look to it.

Jim

May 16, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Majestic Metlako 2

Absolutely gorgeous! I wanna go there!

May 16, 2013 at 07:23 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Majestic Metlako 2

Mark,
This image is full of mystery. There must be some fairytale folks hiding in the bushes.

Sasha.

May 16, 2013 at 07:51 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #14 · Majestic Metlako 2

Wow, what a place and what a misty mood. Lush greens and that great waterfall. Congratulations!

May 16, 2013 at 07:56 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Majestic Metlako 2

Beautiful perspective on a classic venue!! I was there last fall and saw this perspective but not as clearly as you from your position.

May 16, 2013 at 09:57 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #16 · Majestic Metlako 2

What a beautiful shot. It was well worth the effort.

Todd

May 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Majestic Metlako 2

Great job getting this one, Mark.

May 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #18 · Majestic Metlako 2

I looked at some of your work on your web-site. Amazing shots.

May 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Majestic Metlako 2

Nicely capture Mark.

Roman

May 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Majestic Metlako 2