FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

I am planning a short photo tour of west Colorado during the coming July 4th weekend (7/3 to 7/7 including flying time on both days). I plan to reach Estes Park later in the evening of July 3. Will try some night photography there. Any suggestions?

Also, I will spend July 4 doing sunrise, sunsets and some waterfalls in and around RMNP. Will stay the night at Estes Park also, so next day sunrise will also be done at some location. Any suggestions for sunrise, sunsets, reflections and wildflowers in this area?

I would like to drive down to Aspen after that and photograph around there. Google map shows a driving time of around 4.5 hours. How is the drive? Also, how far is Maroon Bells from Aspen for sunrise photography? Any other places near Aspen?

I plan to leave Aspen and stay the night near Denver Airport so that can fly out Sunday morning.

Any suggested itineraries will also be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

May 15, 2013 at 03:05 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

Sprague Lake in RMNP gave me an amazing sunrise on our visit there...check that out for a great place to start the day.
cheers Andrew

May 15, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

Maroon Bells is quite close to Aspen. Its about a 20min drive. Its very easy to get to Maroon Lake. They close the maroon creek road at certain times during the summer for bus only travel so check info before heading out.

Emerald Lake in RMNP should be amazing during sunrise but you need to get there very early since the drive up is about 30 min to Bear Lake and the hike up can be 1hr (Maybe less, I dont recall well)

The roaring fork river on the way up to indy pass from Aspen is stunning. Its a great area to explore.

Also in RMNP is the Loch: http://www.protrails.com/trail/rocky-mountain-national-park-the-loch

May 15, 2013 at 05:22 PM
astv99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

Most of the easily accessible spots in RMNP tend to be better sunrise areas than sunset, because they tend to be on the east side - i.e., most of the stops along Bear Lake Road. Dream Lake (a great sunrise spot) is one of the quintessential views in RMNP and is a relatively easy, short hike (~45 mins from the trailhead). If you want to photograph sunset in RMNP, that usually means heading up Trail Ridge Road to get to higher elevations. There's a section of Trail Ridge Road before Many Parks Curve that offers great views of the mountain peaks in RMNP, notably Longs Peak, but you can find good sunset shots almost anywhere along Trail Ridge Road, especially near the top around Rock Cut.

You should definitely drive all the way up over both Trail Ridge Road in RMNP, and Independence Pass near Aspen. Those two roads have the distinction of being something like the highest-elevation paved roads in the country.

There's a hiking trail between Aspen & Crested Butte (which I haven't done yet) that starts near the Maroon Bells btw. Would recommend going at least part-way on it if you have time, as July is wildflower season in that area, which you shouldn't miss.

Estes Park note: if you like to visit photographer galleries, stop by Erik Stensland's gallery in town. He's the only pro photographer I know of who's extensively photographed RMNP and he has lots of nice images.

May 16, 2013 at 03:09 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

thank you guys for the tips.

Asrale, I will try the hike partially for sure if I go there.

May 16, 2013 at 09:44 AM
LuvsTheTetons

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Questions on photo tour of Colorado

If you're planning to drive the Bear Lake Road in RMNP, keep in mind that they're still doing construction work causing delays this summer (http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/bearlakeroad_reconstruction.htm). You may have to time your trips up the road according to the construction/shuttle schedule.

May 17, 2013 at 03:47 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.