Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

xerofun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

I'm relatively new to portraiture and know I have a lot to learn so feedback positive or negative, what works what doesn't is very much welcome. Rip me a new one!

I recently had the opportunity to take some pictures of some local cosplayers/bellydancers for their portfolios. While I ended up with a handful of things that I think worked, a lot of it could be better.

This was my favorite of the batch:

Kiwii by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 05, 2013 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 07:23 PM
xerofun

p.1 #2 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Fixed the link, but now the picture is gigantic. Anyway to resize with BBCode or should i cross post to my flickr so I get the mixed sizes?

May 15, 2013 at 07:25 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Choose the Medium Size/800 pixels wide.

May 15, 2013 at 08:37 PM
xerofun

p.1 #4 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Yeah - probably not possible from facebook. I'll grab the version of it from Flickr instead, more choice there!

May 15, 2013 at 08:45 PM
xerofun

p.1 #5 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Just a bump, hoping for some C&C, increased the size a bit, I've found that medium isn't the best for enjoying a photo.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Alright, here are my 2 cents. I am not a pro, but just going from what I've seen here on FM and elsewhere.

Is she a cosplayer or a belly dancer? Either way, I'd like to see more of her in the shot to tell the story. Since these are people who dress up, I would want to see the whole attire, maybe even some of the background if this is a festival of sorts. Cosplayers can usually pose in a way related to their character and belly dancers can dance or sway (you can play with shutter speed on this one).

To be completely honest, this shot is too tight for my liking and looks a little strange from a stranger's perspective since it looks like she's leaning over and someone else is also in the background. Again, the story aspect. It's unclear what you're trying to show, therefore I have so many questions or rather, I am distracted. Also, her limbs (particularly her left arm) is cut-off. Finally, it looks like you missed focus by just a little bit, her bangle(?) is much sharper than her face.

I am curious what else you have from this set, but I will hold off on clicking for more, as I am at work right now.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:10 PM
xerofun

p.1 #7 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Yeah I had the same concern on the bangle - Was thinking of blurring it a bit because it kept drawing my eye.

From a story point of view she was kind of both belly dancer/cosplayer. A clockwork belly dancer, her own creation. She's getting wound up here

Thanks for the feedback, good stuff to think on and maybe I'll pull out some others to throw up here. I had some technical difficulties during this set and it cost me sharpness all too often. Bad monkey!

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:23 PM
bbasiaga
• •
p.1 #8 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Was this shot as you were walking around a convention/cosplay gathering? I shoot stuff like that a lot, at least when I'm not in costume myself. Since you can hardly ever get a clean shot (meaning someone or something will be in the background, wider angle shots seems to come out better...then the distracting background at least makes some sense. Also lighting is often difficultly dim. This one looks underexposed, and i bet if you up the raw a stop or two it will look a lot better. It posterizes like crazy with the jpg i download from here

-Brian

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:53 PM

xerofun

p.1 #9 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

We shot this before the convention in a park, the convention set up was absolutely abysmal so I ended up just doing video for their actual performances. I was trying to keep it relatively more somber as that was the feel I kind of got from her outfit - her expression probably doesn't match that mood though does it

I might try to recrop this some and play with the exposure too - it's been a couple weeks since I've looked at the original and maybe see what I can do. In the mean time I'm going to put some more from this set which was my first time with my hands on a 5d3.

Thanks!

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:57 PM
xerofun

p.1 #10 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

So my model was supposed to show up while the sun was still up to take some practice shots with the costumes but didn't show up until it was nicely dark out. Fortunately for me this allowed me to be truly amazed at the leap from 5d to 5d3. These were all shot with a single porch light @ 25,600 ISO and I was probably a little heavy handed with the luminence softening but I was pleased with the results when considering the circumstances.

Hope they shed some more light on the costume, and feel free to C&C I have so much to learn!

6T5A5423 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

6T5A5388 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

6T5A5380 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

6T5A5375 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:06 AM
xerofun

p.1 #11 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

6T5A5612 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #12 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

I think you need to work on your light levels, a lot of of your shots show either too little or too much light (or both ie. #2). Try to find the right balance.

Other than #1 most of the shots seem devoid of any emotion, I don't know if this is intentional (ツン type).

When you say clockwork belly dancer that sounds mostly like steampunk so warmer colors or light would benefit that.

More photos that show some kind of interaction between the subjects.

Jun 07, 2013 at 08:13 PM
xerofun

p.1 #13 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Thanks access. 2-5 were kind of abysmally lit due to the late model. I did like how two turned out though the hot hand kind of pulls my attention. Only lighting there is from a porch light - both of my strobes died in fantastic ways unfortunately. Lighting is definitely something I find I need to work on/experiment with - also as you point out posing. I kind of let the girls have free run, most of my subject matter in the past has been younger children which are basically impossible to pose so my skill in this area is more or less non existant!

If you recommend any good resources in either of those for me to devour, please let me know.

thanks!

Jun 07, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

Well being late is kinda the norm in things like this, esp. if you don't know them personally. I almost never schedule or depend on hard times in advance (even with good friends) because it's just such a chaotic environment.

For resources on posing see http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=215252, esp. the first link in that thread, it is a good place to start.

Jun 07, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Zorrophoto88

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Local Cosplayer (Light NSFW)

the story is lost in these shots...the work is nice, but are you not looking to capture the story of her...missed in some way.

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:40 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password