Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

zlgragg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

Hey all,

I'd like to pick up some good Fresnel lights for use in homes and condos, in order to better light them.

Ideally, I'd like to have just 1 and spent ~$500.

Thoughts/comments/questions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Zak

May 15, 2013 at 06:10 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

I'm not a photography lighting expert, just an amateur. But I have been doing drama lighting for 17 years now and I really like what I see with the new ETC Source 4 Fresnels. That being said, while ETC are the standard for theater and performance lighting, it seems like the Arri is the defacto standard for location video lighting. I've always wondered why; can anyone else shed some light on that? I believe it's because they are a bit smaller and lighter for similar output. I'd imagine the smaller lens would make the light slightly harsher, but I know that Arri's are used all over the place. It looks like Arri makes a 650 watt, 4.3" Fresnel that costs about the same as the ETC Source 4 Fresnel, which is a 750 watt, 7" instrument. Whatever you end up with, make sure you keep money in your budget for a set of barn doors to go with your fresnel.

May 15, 2013 at 09:42 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

Fresnels are basically used for TV, film, and sometimes for portraits or still life. They are harsh, heavy, and hot. They are a tungsten light that needs to be filtered for daylight when combined. One of them for any purpose is not enough. We used to use them in photography school back in the 70s. They aren't that powerful (500-650 watts), or very efficient if filtered. They are better served as focusable studio light or in video productions. They were popular back in the 30s, before strobes, as glamour lighting. A heavy duty light stand is recommended. For architecture photos there are better alternatives. There is also a cool down time so they are not best for quick location work.

May 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

A solitary fresnel is not suitable for general interior illumination. The light pattern is tight and, as mentioned by borderlight, quite harsh. With other (and softer) lights, a fresnel could serve as an accent. For stills, xenon flash has a much superior color spectrum. BTW, fresnels produce my favorite light but my fixtures are outfitted with xenon flash tubes, not tungsten. As adapted by Profoto from Dedolights, these are small and light, although pretty hot with modelling light enabled.

May 21, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fresnel Lights - Best for Interior photography?

Arri L Series LED Fresnels or Filmgear HMI Fresnels.

Both of these are Daylight balanced, not Tungsten.

The Filmgear lights are basically a chinese copy of the Arri ones.

I haven't looked lately, but the Arri ones are probably out of your price range.
However they will likely literally last forever.
The Filmgear ones are a pretty good copy though and are pretty durable.

May 29, 2013 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password