Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

ronlane
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

I was asked to take photos of the Mother's at our Church at a muffins for mom breakfast on Sunday. I thought I would post the one of my family here and ask for comments.

I realized after that I should probably have used a 28-135mm instead of the 70-200 2.8. I also should have fixed the wrinkled background as well.

Edited on May 17, 2013 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 06:03 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #2 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Hi Ron, welcome to FM! If you'd like more comments, you're better off imbedding the pictures into your post rather than linking to your flickr photostream.

Some people think you have to have a paid FM membership to imbed, but that's not true. Go to each individual shot in flickr, click on the Share link, then the HTML/BB Code, and then cut it down so it just shows the img src code that ends in .jpg.

May 15, 2013 at 06:43 PM
ronlane
• •
p.1 #3 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Thank you for that information. I'm trying it here.

I re-edited this picture last night. With some subtle changes in my processing. It still doesn't change the original issues and things that I should have done to make it better.

Edited on May 17, 2013 at 08:37 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM
JoeFriday77

p.1 #4 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Opinions will vary, but here's mine. Not bad. Did you shoot with the flash straight on with the subjects? It looks a little flat. The pose seems a bit off. With the young girl behind the Mom, she looks separated. I think if she would have been in front and to the Mom's left, it could have been a warmer looking photo. Or you could have moved the boy to the Mom's left and put the girl on the right which may have been better. The young girl is leaning to and put her eyes on the same plane as the Mom's. Having her stand straight may have given just enough separation to get the eyes on different planes. I probably would have put the Mom's right arm down out of the frame which should have helped keep the young boy's shirt straight. Last one is that it is likely cropped too tight with the outside of the arms clipped and a couple of hands at the elbow.

The two things you have working for you are the closeness of the family and the triangle with the heads.

I'm sure they loved the photo and were very appreciative of you doing that for Mother's Day. I'm still learning new things each time I go out, but like any art, sometimes it's subjective.

May 15, 2013 at 07:34 PM
ronlane
• •
p.1 #5 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Joe, thank you for the c&c. I was bouncing a speed light out of an umbrella about 3 feet to camera right and I was using a reflector on camera left.

The lessons that I learned from this for myself is that I would have probably used my 28-135 so that I had the ability to shoot at 50mm because I had no room to back up for the shots. This was at 80mm so that would have helped me to not have such a tight crop.

I am learning as well, but after this session where I took 22 families photos in about an hour and a half, I had so much fun that I'm ready to do it again.

May 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM

JoeFriday77

p.1 #6 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Yes Ron, the learning never stops. It never fails that once I load pics and take a close look, I see all the things I would do differently. Unless I am going to shoot just a few shots of something specific, I never leave home without the 24-70, 70-200, and 85 1.8.

I see what you did with the lighting now. That explains the lighting on the girl. Shadows used to drive me crazy. Now, if I get them where I want them, they help to add depth. I will be shooting some larger groups next month, and I think I am going to run my Alien Bees and bounce it off of a 7' white umbrella at the 45. I'm thinking that will give me good coverage and some depth. I guess I'll see how it works.

I'm far from the expert here. There are some here turning out truly remarkable photos. Best of luck in the next one! While I have studied quite a bit, it seems shooting the frames has provided the best learnings so far.

May 17, 2013 at 07:14 PM
AlexF
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

The crop is fine - the light is the issue... and even as it is it would have been ok if mom was a skinny girl. Because she is on the heavy side you really need more shadows on one side of her face and more importantly below her chin - basically you would have been much better of without the reflector.... As it is the light is too flat and unflattering...

May 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM
ronlane
• •
p.1 #8 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

Thanks AlexF. I am still tying to understand about the shadows. It seems that everyone wants the face filled with light.

May 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM
russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · My first portrait post on here. Mother's day session

As has been said, lighting is a bit flat, but still a usable image.

If you were using a reflector, I would back it off a bit so you don't get so much fill from it. That may give you a little more desired shadow. Maybe place the umbrella at a less "head on" angle...

What is probably hurting you the most here is the umbrella...they produce TONS of spill and, in a small area, can bounce around so much light it is hard to create desirable shadows in a portrait. Maybe ditch the reflector all together...

May 20, 2013 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password