Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Jeff Simpson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

I could get by with a 5d2/5d3 and 24L/50L/135L and 580ex2/softbox

May 15, 2013 at 03:17 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

paparazzinick wrote:
banned? wow you must have some real assholes that ruin it for the others in your area.

2 churches in PGH come to mind when you say banned. I was told in both that I must stay in the back. I politely said, "I know what I am doing. I've been doing this for years, but I appreciate your concern." Smiled and walked away. I did what I wanted, but with respect and reason. The minister and lady that told me to stay in the back both came up to me after and said how they did not even notice me
...Show more

Now, since you mentioned this. In comparison, I see how things got a little better. A few years back, I guess it was much more newcomers who had no knowledge of a church customs. So, we're pushed back and be quit type thing from a church lady. Despite, I don't wanna be banned no matter what. Last wedd. stupid door was squeaking and when i came in at the middle of the ceremony, everyone looked at me like wtf...so I thought may be this is it. But it was OK and I never used that door again.

May 15, 2013 at 03:34 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

TRReichman wrote:
I use one body with 1 lens the majority of the day (D3s and 24-120). I need an sb700 for the reception and I like to shoot portraits with a 70-200. That's all I need.

I'd also bring a d3, d600, 28mm, 50mm, a 180mm and additional flash. My wife has her kit too, so we have plenty of backup. We recently got Think Tank Airport Navigator bags for the wedding day (sort of half-sized rollers with a top-loading option). If it doesn't fit in those 2 bags we don't bring it. I'm waiting on Fuji to see what they bring
...Show more

what kind of lens is 24-120 ?! f/3.5-5.6? sorry i don't know nikon too well.

May 15, 2013 at 03:36 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Ian Boys wrote:
I would love to shoot one with just an x100s. The next request I get where they have no money, I'll suggest it.

I have a lo budget in Sept. I always wanna use all my glass for the variety but on this one, may be I should try really one body/one glass(?) KISS(M)! Keep It Simple Stupid Me!

May 15, 2013 at 03:39 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

D. Diggler wrote:
I use a tripod from the back of the church.

well, i use that too in the back, but half way from a side or behind the altar (or sides) I can move quietly only with a mono. Trying to drag my tripod during the ceremony with bann me as well. So it stays in the back or balcony for fish and back view. (My wife did that part and now I have to do it somehow lightweight way, 85 with no support?)

May 15, 2013 at 03:43 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

CMB Photo wrote:
what kind of lens is 24-120 ?! f/3.5-5.6? sorry i don't know nikon too well.

F4, vr

- trr

May 15, 2013 at 03:43 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Absolute minimum?

2 bodies, 24-70/2.8, a mid telephoto prime, and a flash.

That said, the goal for me is never to get by with a little as possible. It's to do the best job possible - and this requires me to be somewhat gear heavy.

May 15, 2013 at 05:17 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

My wife and I usually shoot together. For most weddings, though, I just use my D700 and 35mm while she mainly uses her D700 and a 50 or 85. We have two flashes. She uses hers at every wedding, and I use mine at around half of them, depending on reception lighting. if I shot alone, I'd feel comfortable with my D700, a 35, an 85, and a backup with a 50 on it. I'd bring my tiny flash if i remembered it.

May 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

I shoot mainly with my D700 and a 24-70. I love the 24-70. I carry two bodies during ceremonies most weddings with a 70-200. One flash.

I bring three bodies, 4 flashes, three transceivers, stands, reflectors, various glass.

I dont pack for a wedding really I bring what I have that stays in my camera bag all the time anyways. Stands and reflectors are always in the trunk of my car no matter what. I also rent the 70-200. If I need something extra I get it.

Ive never shot in a church and only three indoor ceremonies. Two were a rain issues or it would have been outside. Only one noon so far as well, most are after 4pm. All but one wedding was at the venue. Ive shot about 30 weddings and about 10 misc events. I tend to need/use more at events because many are indoors.

May 15, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Depending on the mood I bring on me 1 d800 with a 24-70 and 105 macro or 1 d800 with sigma 35 1.4 and and sigma 85 1.4. I also have a sb 800 on me. I have a lens changer 2 on me with the lens and/or flash not in use.

I have backup d600 and the set of lens I'm not using and another sb 800 in a backpack.

I tend to use the 35/85 combo more.

May 15, 2013 at 09:51 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Last year I carried the whole kitchen sink. This year I have really reduced the amount I carry. Sometimes too many choices can be distracting. I now bring:

D4
X100
24 1.4
50 1.8
85 1.4
TT Lens Changer 2

Other stuff in main bag:
35 1.4
105 VR (only for ring shots)
Sb-900 x 3
Batteries
Triggers

May 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM
pette87
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

maxwell1295 wrote:
BTW, I worked solo almost exclusively for the past 3 years. I just started working with an assistant this year. It's good having an extra pair of hands around and someone who can run and grab something if you need it. Now I just need to teach her how to drive a stick...

hire me
i'm quite good with that since in Italy automatic gear are not so common (btw i can drive automatic too)

May 16, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

I think anyone creating art for their client's "should" have a descent arsenal of prime lenses, and maybe a good zoom or two. If you're one of these guys though that can shoot a whole wedding with a 35mm or some zoom, then more power to you. Although I think you run the risk of just producing pictures, which is fine, it's just not what I do.

May 16, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Brian Virts wrote:
I think anyone creating art for their client's "should" have a descent arsenal of prime lenses, and maybe a good zoom or two.

Why that much gear and duplicated focal lengths? Capability to create art isn't defined by f/1.4 lenses and every FL from 18mm to 200mm surely.

May 16, 2013 at 06:56 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

It's just my opinion and choice for what I like to create. It's about the look and tone of the lens over FL. It's not all about FL, and aperture.

May 16, 2013 at 07:05 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Well, thank you all! I think I got a pretty good idea on where I need to be. A lot of valid points here.

May 16, 2013 at 07:40 AM
asparkes
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

If it weren't for the dark cavernous churches with their draconian limitations, I'd probably go 5DMKIII, 50L, 135L, and x-100 99% of the time. Churches make the necessity for more lenses, otherwise, I'd be good with that. Manfrotto micro stand and one 42" shoot-through and my 600ex-rt might be needed too?

May 16, 2013 at 08:12 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

For my next wedding:

HoldfastGear MoneyMaker

Nikon D800
14-24 2.8

Canon 5D Mark III
50 1.2
85 1.2
135 F2

580EXII x2

Triggers (phottix Odin and pocket wizard)

I'm still trying to figure out what my shooting bag will be.

Ron!

May 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

I shoot with a thinktank harness/pouches and spider elite holsters.

On my person:

D3s
D3
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
85 1.8 (I love the bokeh for the detail shots)
Extension tubes (for the 85)
SB-910
Sekonic L-358 (just in case)
Extra batteries, lens cloth and sensor swabs

In my bag:

D7000 (the "oh crap something broke" body)
50 1.8
SB-900 x 3
Stands
Ezybox
Triggers

I know I run heavier than most, and I'd like to downsize my setup, but I'm so "in the groove" with it that I don't want to mess with how I do things.

May 17, 2013 at 07:54 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Samsung S3.

May 17, 2013 at 07:56 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.