Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

CMB Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Just like the topic says: What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?
Including your back up, what do you bring? How many bodies, lenses, flashes, stands, ladders, bags, gaffer tape, batteries? I'd like to minimize to what we bring, yet you know how it goes, I fill up my SUV with stuff. With the time it got a little better, I kinda know better what I might need and what definitely I won't. Is there a really huge item that you're famous to carry with you or are you a total minimalist? My definition of a minimalist would be:
Shooting - 1 body. 3-4 lenses. 1-2 flash units+triggers. 1 stand. 1 tripod/monopod. batteries.
Backup: 1 body.
Goal: to have one bag at the location. All additional stuff in the car. I'm still wanna shoot with two bodies at the time, but don't wanna carry two of them all day long.
Thanks!

Maks

May 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

I shoot every wedding with 2 flashes, 2 bodies, 4 lenses and batteries.

Sometimes I bring a 3rd and 4th body if there are 2 of us. I might add a lens or 2 if I know I will need something really long. I will bring strobes if I know the reception needs it.

But for the most part, I travel lite To be honest. All I really need is 1 body and my 28, 50 and 85. Last wedding I shot, I used my 28 for the majority of the day. Another wedding I used the 50 all day. I used to bring 10-15 lenses, 3-4 cameras, 5 flashes, strobes and more. It was getting ridiculous. I was worrying more about what gear I could bring that I "might" use. When I realized that all I needed was a few lenses and a camera, my quality went up and my clients were happier. Not only that but my back felt the relief.

I am shooting a wedding this weekend and will have my typical bag, but I can almost guarantee I will use my 28 all day and maybe my 85 for a few.

May 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

paparazzinick wrote:
I shoot every wedding with 2 flashes, 2 bodies, 4 lenses and batteries.

Sometimes I bring a 3rd and 4th body if there are 2 of us. I might add a lens or 2 if I know I will need something really long. I will bring strobes if I know the reception needs it.

But for the most part, I travel lite To be honest. All I really need is 1 body and my 28, 50 and 85. Last wedding I shot, I used my 28 for the majority of the day. Another wedding I used the 50 all day.
...Show more

yeah, i agree. Sometimes quality gets better when we mess with the less...Hey, so just to make it clear: you bring two bodies but shoot only with one (at the time). Correct?

May 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

Between me and my second, to a wedding we bring:

4 bodies
6 Lenses
4 Flashes
Lots of batteries and memory cards

If we're running our photo booth, there's a lot more stuff which easily fills up my car.

Carrying on our person, typically I only have one body/flash and lens. I switch lenses a few times during the day, but it's always at a break point (i.e. between getting ready and ceremony, or ceremony and reception) and I like to carry as little weight as possible. Everything I don't need right at that moment is left in my bag which is at an easily accessible location.

May 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

What I take:
- 5D III body
- 5D III body
- Canon 16-35L
- Sigma 35
- Canon 40
- Canon 45 TSE
- Sigma 50
- Sigma 85
- Sigma 105 Macro
- Sigma 70-200
- Canon 600EX x4
- Cheetah 8ft stand x2
- Monopod
- Batteries for everything

What I actually use:
- Canon 5D III
- Canon 16-35L
- Sigma 35
- Sigma 85
- Canon 600EX x4
- Cheetah 8ft stand x2

I'm a one body shooter. My working kit (1 body/3 lenses) is on me. I work with a TT Lenschanger 3. OCF is on the stands during the reception. Everything else is with my assistant in a small shoulder bag and/or in a rolling bag. She carries the 50mm, macro, TS-E, and extra body with her. We both have spare AA and camera batteries. When I work solo, the only thing that changes is the stuff she carries all gets stored in the rolling bag.

May 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

After working with my wife for a few years, last wedd. I went without her and was really worrying to leave my whole bag by itself. usually, wife is the one who keeps an eye on it. Since she's prego now, that's another reason to go light weight for me now. I remember, years ago i've heard that if you don't have access to your stuff in like 2 seconds, don't bring it.

May 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

maxwell1295 wrote:
all gets stored in the rolling bag.

what kind of rolling bag would you recommend? And how practical and easy it gets to wedd. places: churches, locations, recep. venues, etc..

Thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

mine 16-35 don't get enough use lately. I know though that on some days I'll use it more. (depending on location).

indoor:
70% - 24-70
20% - 85 or 50
8% - 70-200
2% - 16-35 / 100 macro / fish

outdoor:
45% - 24-70
15% - 85 or 50
53% - 70-200
7% - 16-35 / 100 macro / fish

(no i can not proof all the % in a sci-fi way!)

May 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

The minimum?
35 and 85 all day long. basically all I need.
the rest is just extra crap that has the potential to get in the way.

May 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

CMB Photo wrote:
what kind of rolling bag would you recommend? And how practical and easy it gets to wedd. places: churches, locations, recep. venues, etc..

Thanks!

I use the Lowepro X100. The equivalent TT bag would work just as well. I like to think I travel pretty light. Everything I bring to a wedding fits comfortably behind the back seat of my Mini Cooper.

May 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

The absolute minimum I'd be willing to take would be two bodies, 35mm, 85mm, two pocketwizards and a flash + stand.

May 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

BTW, I worked solo almost exclusively for the past 3 years. I just started working with an assistant this year. It's good having an extra pair of hands around and someone who can run and grab something if you need it. Now I just need to teach her how to drive a stick...

May 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

CMB you are correct. I bring 2 but shoot 1. I used to shoot 2 and it was a pain in the ass. I changed my style last year and it has really helped.

May 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

maxwell1295 wrote:
BTW, I worked solo almost exclusively for the past 3 years. I just started working with an assistant this year. It's good having an extra pair of hands around and someone who can run and grab something if you need it..

Thats the reason why I go so lite now. I shoot with a 2nd from time to time and when I do, I dont want to rely on them and get used to bringing so much stuff. Then when I shoot solo it would feel like a handicap to not have them and all the extras.

But hey, everyone has different styles.

May 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

maxwell1295 wrote:
BTW, I worked solo almost exclusively for the past 3 years. I just started working with an assistant this year. It's good having an extra pair of hands around and someone who can run and grab something if you need it. Now I just need to teach her how to drive a stick...

I totally agree and also looking for an entering young dedicated soul to tag alone in our future gigs in Kansas City area.

May 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

maxwell1295 wrote:
I use the Lowepro X100. The equivalent TT bag would work just as well. I like to think I travel pretty light. Everything I bring to a wedding fits comfortably behind the back seat of my Mini Cooper.

Speaking about minimalism, I believe someone who drives Mini to a wedding! (Studio we worked for also drove mini - amazing how much can fit in)..

May 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

And that's with the back seats folded up and nothing in them. Everything fits behind the seat. The Lowepro bag can hold quite a bit.

May 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

paparazzinick wrote:
I used to bring 10-15 lenses, 3-4 cameras, 5 flashes

That's about what I do now but more camera bodies. Other vendors comment on how much gear I bring when they see it. I find that as time goes by, I end up bringing more and more.

May 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

hardlyboring wrote:
The minimum?
35 and 85 all day long. basically all I need.
the rest is just extra crap that has the potential to get in the way.

wow... I love my 70-200 and wouldn't be able to shoot w/o it in a church or outdoor portraits.
two lenses - that's minimum! Yeah! Though I keep looking at photos of a wedding togs from film era, may be except the heavy duty lighting equip., the camera stuff they kept it much more to a minimum.

http://500px.com/photo/13408401

May 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What would be minimum you're willing to take to a wedding?

D. Diggler wrote:
That's about what I do now but more camera bodies. Other vendors comment on how much gear I bring when they see it. I find that as time goes by, I end up bringing more and more.

can imagine...

May 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.