Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       end

Archive 2013 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Chris Fawkes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

rabbitmountain wrote:
Glad it worked out for you. About that beer: I've visited Australia 3 times, Melbourne as well. If I were to visit it again, I'll shoot you a pm

Please do.

May 20, 2013 at 03:42 PM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

10 pages? I never thought the 5D Classic could ever possibly become that controversial a camera. Some really terrific images shown here. I think I'm going to look for a 2nd 5D Classic body.
- Steve

May 20, 2013 at 04:03 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.10 #3 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I still use my 5Dc all the time. I have the battery grip and the RRS L bracket. Its my go to camera in poor conditions like rain, snow, dusty 4x4 off-road trips, street photography projects in dodgy areas, etc. The performance to value ratio is so great. Sometimes it makes sense to leave the newer more expensive bodies at home...

May 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.10 #4 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Just checked the FM FAQ and apparently there are no file size restrictions. I'll just try to upload the 2424px image here. If it doesn't work out I'll remove it.

It isn't working. I split up the image in 4 parts:

Left two parts:

Right two parts:

That's all I can do.

Edited on May 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2013 at 04:45 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.10 #5 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

If anyone is interested in a 5D High ISO comparison, I posted one here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1177629/0

May 20, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

rabbitmountain -- It's a good shot, and you've done well with your tools. It's just not the type of detail vs. noise I hope to get in the smooth tone areas. (I only have a 22" monitor, and I look at it from about 18" with +2.00 diopter reading glasses, to see best details)

snapsy -- Thanks for the link to your comparison. For smooth mid tone area, like the brown shoe and laces, it looks like the 5D at 1600 is about equal to the 5D3 at just over 3200, or about a stop and a third or half advantage, which corresponds to what I've seen elsewhere. It seems I get roughly a stop advantage from the 5D2 and 1Ds3. I'm hoping (like many, I presume!) that the next sensor from Canon will have about a 2 stop higher ISO advantage over the older 5D.

May 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.10 #7 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Gunzorro wrote:
rabbitmountain -- It's a good shot, and you've done well with your tools. It's just not the type of detail vs. noise I hope to get in the smooth tone areas. (I only have a 22" monitor, and I look at it from about 18" with +2.00 diopter reading glasses, to see best details)

Hi Jim, thanks for watching the image. I assume you watched the big image on photobucket or downloaded it. Exposure is a very precise job with the 5D @3200. My clients are happy with the results and that is what counts if one wants to make money and have smiling faces.

snapsy -- Thanks for the link to your comparison. For smooth mid tone area, like the brown shoe and laces, it looks like the 5D at 1600 is about equal to the 5D3 at just over 3200, or about a stop and a third or half advantage, which corresponds to what I've seen elsewhere. It seems I get roughly a stop advantage from the 5D2 and 1Ds3. I'm hoping (like many, I presume!) that the next sensor from Canon will have about a 2 stop higher ISO advantage over the older 5D.
Stanj did an excellent ISO test with his 1Dx and 5D3. We could see the 1Dx gain almost 1 stop extra high ISO performance compared to the 5D3. I recommend it.

Stay good,

Ralph

May 20, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.10 #8 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Ralph -- That is nice work, and I'm sure your clients enjoy that level of clarity. Thanks for the patience and time to put the comparison samples together.

May 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.10 #9 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Well, it looks like I will soon be able to afford the 5DII. I am going to get paid for some work that I never expect to be paid for. I would go to a 6D, but I just can't force myself to go to a mainly plastic camera. I have a full spectrum T2i and it just feels so poorly manufactured. The 6D has the same feeling to me, kinda like a 300/4 or 400/5.6 would not be safe on the mount if I forgot and picked it up by the body.

Matt

May 24, 2013 at 02:16 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.10 #10 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:
Well, it looks like I will soon be able to afford the 5DII.

Good move

May 24, 2013 at 02:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

outlawyer
• • •
p.10 #11 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

The 6D is not "mainly plastic" but any 5D model is great.

May 24, 2013 at 03:17 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.10 #12 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

dhphoto wrote:
Good move

I agree. If you have the money, its the camera to get.

Congrats on the unexpected windfall.

May 24, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.10 #13 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

"mainly plastic"

Ok, so that sounded really bad. I have owned a couple of the Rebel line over the years and really was never happy with their size, weight and lack of full metal frame. I understand that the 6D has a partial metal frame and a slightly larger size than the Rebel's, but the lack of weight for stability and possible loss of lens mount strength do worry me a little. I have found over time I have migrated toward heavier bodies, with grips on them... examples of cameras I have used and kept, T90, 20D, 7D.

May 24, 2013 at 03:41 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.10 #14 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:
"mainly plastic"

Ok, so that sounded really bad. I have owned a couple of the Rebel line over the years and really was never happy with their size, weight and lack of full metal frame. I understand that the 6D has a partial metal frame and a slightly larger size than the Rebel's, but the lack of weight for stability and possible loss of lens mount strength do worry me a little. I have found over time I have migrated toward heavier bodies, with grips on them... examples of cameras I have used and kept, T90, 20D, 7D.

You don't have to justify what you are going to buy. If you prefer a slightly weightier camera the 5D2 is an excellent choice.

The marvellous thing is we now have so many choices, if you do want a relatively light full frame high IQ camera the 6D is there too.

Lucky us.

May 24, 2013 at 04:08 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.10 #15 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I'd be reluctant to pick up any body attached to a 600mm.
No doubt the 5D bodies are more robust, but as an amateur who can shoot only when I feel like it, avoiding inclement weather or rush, the 6D is great. Would probably have shot with 5Dc happily ever after had it not came along.

May 24, 2013 at 04:09 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.10 #16 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:
Well, it looks like I will soon be able to afford the 5DII. I am going to get paid for some work that I never expect to be paid for. I would go to a 6D, but I just can't force myself to go to a mainly plastic camera. I have a full spectrum T2i and it just feels so poorly manufactured. The 6D has the same feeling to me, kinda like a 300/4 or 400/5.6 would not be safe on the mount if I forgot and picked it up by the body.

Matt

For what you will be shooting, you can't go wrong with a 5DmkII. But have you tried a 6D yet? The sensor is a little bit better, but as long as you stay away from ISO6400 and up you probably won't notice. The 5DmkII takes CF cards and that is a major plus over any SD-only camera. Well at least for me. That said I have seen very nice images from the 6D, so I'm sure you would have been great with that as well.

Major point is that I'm glad that you will now get a more modern camera with a good LCD, menus and the 21mp sensor will help you take great images.

Congrats!

Stay good,
Ralph

May 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.10 #17 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

rabbitmountain wrote:
For what you will be shooting, you can't go wrong with a 5DmkII. But have you tried a 6D yet? The sensor is a little bit better, but as long as you stay away from ISO6400 and up you probably won't notice. The 5DmkII takes CF cards and that is a major plus over any SD-only camera. Well at least for me. That said I have seen very nice images from the 6D, so I'm sure you would have been great with that as well.

Major point is that I'm glad that you will now get a more modern camera with
...Show more

I do not anticipate going over ISO1600, I try and stay there or below 95% of the time. There are exceptions, but I am not a pro and the pics very rarely get published. CF cards are a bonus for me, have tons of them.

I was really torn with this decision, I have wanted to go FF for years, but just could not really afford to and still update a lens or add a lens every couple of years. Menus appear to be similar to the 7D and I love its menu system.

I am truly excited about being able to acquire my first FF camera this season. I can't wait to mount my 17-35/2.8L or 100/2.8 USM macro. It will be nice to be back to a 50mm for a standard lens again and my 85/1.8 will be used much more. I love the IQ on the 85/1.8, yeah it's not L but I like it. The MDP will likely stay on the 7D, but I will be super sharp on a 5DII.

May 24, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.10 #18 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

outlawyer wrote:

I'd be reluctant to pick up any body attached to a 600mm.
No doubt the 5D bodies are more robust, but as an amateur who can shoot only when I feel like it, avoiding inclement weather or rush, the 6D is great. Would probably have shot with 5Dc happily ever after had it not came along.

I will never get to shoot with a 600, leave alone trust a camera mount to it.

I will own a 400/5.6L or a 100-400L at some point, but it is unlikely that I will ever own any of the big 2.8's or 500 and bigger. I may rent one someday, just to try it out. In my FD days I had a fast 400 and loved it, but they are just so expensive now that I would have to choose between kids braces, house work or a lens. So, slower lens and a decent tripod and I am happy.

May 24, 2013 at 05:49 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.10 #19 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:
I am truly excited about being able to acquire my first FF camera this season. I can't wait to mount my ...

I wish I could say "Yeah, I knew that time when I got my first FF dSLR" but I stepped right to the 5Dclassic when I exited the film era. In hindsight maybe I should have started with a crop first Basically what I'm saying is I'm spoilt having always had a FF camera but I would like your wife/buddy or whoever take a pic of you after you first take the camera in your hand and look through it, take some images and watch them on you computer screen.....

Stay good,
Ralph

May 24, 2013 at 06:10 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.10 #20 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

The 5D would be my choice for any kind of photography involving people. We shot our weddings with used D700s, but I've always held that if we weren't Nikon fans, we could just have easily gone with used 5Ds and saved ourselves significant cash.

May 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM
       11       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password