Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Currently I shoot a 7D and a 20D, I have always wanted to go FF. The prices on the 5Dc's are really attractive at this time. I tend to buy good equipment and try for the best image possible. I shoot family stuff, kids sports, macro for my own benefit and some senior portraits for something that actually pays a little money. I do not have a studio, most of my work is available light as I really enjoy the challenge.

With the above being said, is the 5Dc able to compete with the 7D in available light or would I be better off to give up FF this summer and save for a 5DII? I am purely looking for opinions, I am sure that there are many good ones and many other folks who shoot like I do.

My gear list is in my profile, most would be used with the FF as well. I know, very open ended question but I am really concerned about low light, no flash situations.

Thanks Matt

May 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I think if you found a low count 5D body in good shape then go for it. I still use mine.

There is no LV option here of course. The issue I had with my 5D was manual focus accuracy. Once I converted the coveted Minolta Rokkor f1.2 I discovered how sloppy the focus accuracy was when shooting at wide apertures. In the end I got the matte screen and ordered a set of focus screen shims (Canon calls them washers). I think the set came with like 20 shims of different thickness. I then experimented with replacing the stock shim with shims of varying thickness. It became obvious via testing which shim was going to work. I can now focus on a tip of a pencil at f2.

The 5D produces great files. I have a Really Righ Stuff L bracket on mine with the extra battery drive. It still performs well in commercial applications in my book.

I guess the questions would be what price you could find? The other option would be to go with the new 6D body which is also full frame. You get extra features, LV and the ability to shoot video on cheaper memory cards...

May 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Define "compete with the 7D in available light". If you mean autofocus, then neither the 5D nor the 5DII are going to compete. If you mean image quality, then the 5D is the equal to or better than the 7D all the way up to ISO 1600, probably ISO 3200.

As a happy 5D owner i would completely recommend one. However, since you mentioned the 5DII i am pretty sure most commentators following me are going to tell you that the 5D is old, is missing many of the modern features of the 7D and 5DII, and that your best option is to wait for however long it takes to save up for a 5DII. I tend to disagree, as the 5Dc is so cheap now as to be close to disposable, whilst the 5DII is still relatively expensive.

May 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Nothing wrong with a 5D, except the 5D2 is much better.

If it's a long-term investment I'd save up and buy the mark II. I'd find it hard to live without liveview, sensor cleaning and a much better LCD nowadays. Plus the 5DII IQ is still up there with the best available

May 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

5Dc... It's cheap... has very good IQ... If you decide you want more, you didn't spend much, so keep it as a backup or give it to your kids to play when you save enough for a 5DIII... that way with the III, you can use more than just the center... focal point, have better AF... etc... which I belive is what you would still have with the II...

May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Not so much worried about autofocus as I am about image quality. Thanks for the answer.

May 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

One other plus for the 5D2 is that it shares the same batteries as the 7D, and they are superior to the 5D batteries.

I never really liked the 5D past ISO 800, where I'll happily shoot the 60D at ISO 1600 and expect the 7D to be similar. I happily shoot the 5D2 at 1600, and even 3200 in a pinch.

I shot the most assignments with the 5D, but I'm glad to now be using the 5D2 and 1Ds3 as my FF cameras.

I would look into the 1Ds2 right now. You can find them for around $900, and they have superior imaging by a wide margin over the original 5D.

Back to your original quandary: Yes the 5D will produce more pleasing pictures than the 7D, IMO.

Edited on May 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Yes, my point is that they are so cheap now for good copies of the body that it is hard to resist. I would likely not put more than 2 or 3 thousand pics on it a year. I am not really concerned about live view, never use it on the 7D unless I do not have an HD video camera and want to shoot an odd clip every now and then.

I am 47 and my eyes are not great. If a unit does not autofocus, I tend to provide some artificial light to focus with or use the ST-2E to provide focus aid now.

I am beginning to think a 5Dc may be in my future, until it is no longer a relevant camera body. After all, I still do like my 20D... it just feels right with a grip on it.

May 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:
Not so much worried about autofocus as I am about image quality. Thanks for the answer.

Well I have put thousands of RAW files through 5D, 5D2, 1Ds3 and many hundreds though my 5D3 and the 5DII IQ is as good as the other 21 meg cameras (better than the 1Ds3 over about 1250 ISO).

The other thing that makes a difference with the 5D2 is microadjustment, which the 5D lacks. if it's the best IQ you can get that you want, MA is a good thing to have (as is liveview)

May 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

sensor dust is another issue with 5dc. there is no auto sensor cleaning so dust bunnies on the sensor are a real issue. Be prepared to clean it.

May 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Matt Ward wrote:

the way i think about 5dc image quality is . . .

a few years ago the 5dc was the go to camera for wedding photographers. it was quality then and it still is quality today. go for it!

May 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I bought a 5Dc when I was looking for ff (coming from a 1DMKII) The image quality was great, but the usage of the camera felt even more antiquated than my 1DMKII. I went ahead and bought a used 5DII and couldn't be happier.

May 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I know you are focussed on using available light...

But you might want to consider getting a small flexible lighting system for on the go work. Spend a few hours reading the deep reports and posts over Strobist.com for some insight on using just one or two light stands and some portable strobes. Being able to mix ambient lighting with supplemental light effectively can really open up all kinds of creativity. Personally I would not be shooting at any high ISO settings on any paid work when you could add just a bit of well placed light. Being able to add light solves many issues like noisy files, crushed shadows, poor ambient color temperatures, contrast, etc, etc.

Figure the money saved by buying a 5D classic could go to getting a few strobes, triggers, umbrellas and stands, etc...

May 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
willm02118
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

I have a 1D Mark III, 5Dc, and the T3i. Each has its own strength.... I reach for my 5D when I want to do still portraits of my family and it easily beats the other two in low ISO IQ. I would not use anything higher than ISO 1000 if i can help it on the 5Dc. I only paid $350 for it (high actuations) but if I figure I get more than a year of photos with it, I got my money's worth.

May 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

The 5D produces some of the best files out there. I just recently sold mine. I didn't sell it because of the IQ or because of the files/pictures that it could produce. It is really an amazing camera. I sold mine because my main subject, my 3 year old daughter, is becoming very active and to me the AF of the 5DC just wasn't working for me anymore. Now the AF only bothered me when the little one was running all over the place. Under normal situations the camera performed just fine. Portraits etc where just fine.

My daughter will be getting into youth sports soon and that was also a deciding factor.

Needless to say I just got a 5DmkIII....and I am loving that.

May 15, 2013 at 01:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Check this thread for 5D inspiration and samples:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1159990

May 15, 2013 at 01:06 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

My main take comparing the series based on what I find important -
5D c very nice with noise, cheap, beautiful full frame images, chiefly a center point auto focus body
5D II mildly better with noise, adds live view, micro focus adjust, chiefly a center point auto focus
5D III better again with noise which now impressively outperforms the 5Dc (which was nice to begin with), adds auto focus like you are used to with the 7D, joystick allows you to change focus point rapidly for good compositions, AF at f8 if you have a quality telephoto lens to begin with.

For things that don't move a lot, the 5D classic is a pleasing camera indoors and out. Focus and recompose with narrow depth of field does not work too well, so I had to use the center point and crop. Pick the main features you want/need and choose your body accordingly.

May 15, 2013 at 01:27 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

dgdg wrote:
My main take comparing the series based on what I find important -
5D c very nice with noise, cheap, beautiful full frame images, chiefly a center point auto focus body
5D II mildly better with noise, adds live view, micro focus adjust, chiefly a center point auto focus
5D III better again with noise which now impressively outperforms the 5Dc (which was nice to begin with), adds auto focus like you are used to with the 7D, joystick allows you to change focus point rapidly for good compositions, AF at f8 if you have a quality telephoto lens to begin with.

For things
...Show more

Can't agree that the 5DII is only 'mildly better with noise". I think you must have been fooled by looking at 100% crops. The 5DII file is not only bigger, requiring much less enlargement but it's quite usable up to 3200 ISO whereas the 5D is flaky at 1600. Of course the 5D3 is in a different league again.

The 5D has achieved almost mythical status that it just doesn't deserve. It's old, clunky with few features and only 12.8 meg.

Sure it can take nice shots, but it really does pale in comparison to the newer FF cameras.

May 15, 2013 at 01:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

dhphoto wrote:
The 5D has achieved almost mythical status that it just doesn't deserve. It's old, clunky with few features and only 12.8 meg.

But can you suggest a camera for 450 quid that takes better pictures?

May 15, 2013 at 01:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D classic, please help me decide.

Any time is a good time to buy a 5D.

May 15, 2013 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.