New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

So.....like everyone else, I preordered my D800 back in February. B&H shipped it May 16th and I got it a couple of days later. The invoice clearly shows the order date and the later shipping/invoice date. With the end of the period looming, I opted to send it in to address the alleged left focus point issue before the warranty expired. Nikon shoots me the repair acknowledgement this morning with a $253.06 charge as it's "out of warranty". A call to Nikon reveals that they are looking at the order date for warranty start. I calmly had them refer to the invoice with the ship date in May and reminded them that nobody had a D800 in February as it was a preorder. They never did acknowledge the date disparity but agreed to service the camera out of good customer relations.....the moral? Don't wait till the end of the warranty period to send it in and they may question your date if you preordered.

Henry....a FYI for B&H....any other customers having this issue?

May 14, 2013 at 05:48 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

Why am I not surprised to hear this?

May 14, 2013 at 08:59 PM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

My invoice from Nikon used shipped date as the start of warranty. However, unfortunately the didn't fix the focus issue after 3 times going back, so now it's out of warranty with a left focus issue.

May 14, 2013 at 09:58 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

I had a preorder (mine through Amazon) with a two month spread between order and ship, and sent it in for repair right before the 1 year date from ship. No problems. Must depend on who you get.

May 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Catfur
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

James Burden wrote:
So.....like everyone else, I preordered my D800 back in February. B&H shipped it May 16th and I got it a couple of days later. The invoice clearly shows the order date and the later shipping/invoice date. With the end of the period looming, I opted to send it in to address the alleged left focus point issue before the warranty expired. Nikon shoots me the repair acknowledgement this morning with a $253.06 charge as it's "out of warranty". A call to Nikon reveals that they are looking at the order date for warranty start. I calmly had them refer
...Show more

I swear, it's like Nikon service USA is just lighting a fire, throwing live pigs into it, and dancing around shouting at the sky "Someone Please Sue Me!."

It's f'n comical, the crap they spit out.

May 15, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

I sent an email to Nikon USA 2 days ago asking about the issue with my 300 not focusing to infinity .. they replied saying sorry about the problem with your camera, please send us photos WTF !!

May 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

"Sorry, but your camera is out of warranty". No it's not, look at the ship date on my recept. "Oh, ok, in that case your camera has impact damage which has voided your warranty. Is there anything else we can't do for you today?"

May 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

"Please wait while I place you on ignore..."

Did you get that one from them yet?

May 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

You sent them too much documentation You should only have sent invoice that comes in the box. It not only has shipping date but also serial number.

May 19, 2013 at 01:40 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

snapsy wrote:
"Is there anything else we can't do for you today?"

Awesome! I'm stealing that quote

May 19, 2013 at 08:46 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

James Burden wrote:
Henry....a FYI for B&H....any other customers having this issue?

This is the first report like this I've come across. I am very sorry. I'd love to be able to say we can intervene on your behalf and I'd be happy to try, but in my personal experience Nikon USA is not a great listener.

If you cannot get this resolved, let me know. No promises.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

So far it's been fine Henry. They have it and have repaired it and it's allegedly awaiting shipment out. I have had to play along and push then a bit to get any kind of response but I remain hopeful that I'll have it back in a couple of days....

May 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

I'd just assumed the warranty period started on the ship date...I did just check for my LF issue at what I thought was a couple months before the warranty was set to expire, I was glad to see there was no issue. Seems I would've been late if there was one. Pretty sad if that's how they're running things.

May 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

henryp wrote:
This is the first report like this I've come across. I am very sorry. I'd love to be able to say we can intervene on your behalf and I'd be happy to try, but in my personal experience Nikon USA is not a great listener.

If you cannot get this resolved, let me know. No promises.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Kind of pathetic when an outfit like B&H can't get Nikon to help a customer.

May 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

DGC1 wrote:
Kind of pathetic when an outfit like B&H can't get Nikon to help a customer.

- why?

May 25, 2013 at 06:26 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

A vendor like B&H sells huge amounts of Nikon product. If a manufacturer won't help a customer then the store loses as well as the manufacturer. People too often blame the vendor although it's not their fault. They forget the warranty is with the manufacturer, not the vendor. Manufacturers in other industries usually replace a defective item if the vendor sends it in. It doesn't seem to be that way in the camera business.

May 26, 2013 at 08:28 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

DGC1 wrote:
A vendor like B&H sells huge amounts of Nikon product. If a manufacturer won't help a customer then the store loses as well as the manufacturer. People too often blame the vendor although it's not their fault. They forget the warranty is with the manufacturer, not the vendor. Manufacturers in other industries usually replace a defective item if the vendor sends it in. It doesn't seem to be that way in the camera business.

I understand why you might say that, but think about it for a minute: How many brands does B&H sell? Thousands upon thousands. Granted Nikon is probably one of their single biggest revenue producers, but what kind of precedent would it set if they could be expected to intervene beyond their return period? It would drive their costs up significantly. This is between James and Nikon. I sincerely hope Nikon does right by him, but other than verifying the ship date so the beginning of the warranty can be calculated correctly, I don't think B&H should be expected to do much.

Do you expect WalMart to do something like that if the Samsung TV you have has an issue a year later?

(BTW - that isn't intended to be shouty - apologies if it reads that way)

May 26, 2013 at 03:49 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

It is my PERSONAL opinion that Nikon USA wants to make sure the tail does not wag the dog. Where they and I differ is on which of us is which. :-)
- henry

May 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

Unfortunately this means as soon as I buy ANYTHING nikon I test the heck out of it and if anything is off I send it back to where I bought it from to avoid the lottery of nikon service getting told it is impact damage.

My D800E sensor being covered in oil after 4 studio shoots was apparently 'not a warranty issue' until I went nuts at them, their arrogance continues to amaze me.

May 27, 2013 at 02:50 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Warranty Saga - B&H Preorder

M635_Guy wrote:
Do you expect WalMart to do something like that if the Samsung TV you have has an issue a year later?

(BTW - that isn't intended to be shouty - apologies if it reads that way)

Unless someone knows what percentage of Nikon sales that B&H accounts for, it's tough to answer. Or, maybe B&H is closed every time Nikon tries to contact them.

May 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.