1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Guide: Get 24p RAW on a 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Guide: Get 24p RAW on a 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern

A new workflow:

If you use the new Ginger HDR plug-in you can directly load Magic Lantern RAW video files of any length without using rawtodng or Photoshop or anything, the files pop in and render directly in Premiere Pro or After Effects (PC versions only for now). I don't know yet about the quality it provides, didn't give it much of a look yet, but at the very least it sure is a nice quick way to scan through all the video you collected before processing at max quality and perhaps the quality it delivers would be good enough for some (especially for those who intended to do all grading in video software).

So just like with Canon recorded video, you can just pop the files right out of cam into PP/AE and view. Even on i7 3770 with tons of memory they play back VERY choppily though. I don't think the plug-in uses GPU computing but CPU only and it does have a crazy intense workload to deal with (trying to real-time debayer at high quality and everything).

It stresses CPUs like crazy though, it instantly pops my i7 3770 to 84C! Man why does Intel use such incredibly shitty little heat sinks and such horrifically noisy fans? They ship the 3770 CPUs with ridiculous bitty heat sinks and the nastiest, noisiest fan you've ever heard! You basically have to get a thrid party heat sink and fan if you don't want it getting hot and if you don't want it to sound like mad hornets nests (even for simple work). What a pain, have to redo my entire motherboard, unplug every last thing, etc. to put in the third party heat sinks and fans since you need bottom MB access to attach screws. I should've ordered one to begin with, darn, what a waste of time.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.