Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Good monopod

DaveOls
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Good monopod

I have been thinking of buying a new monopod. I have looked at a few Manfrottos, especially the automatic one. Any comments on the automatic. Does anyone have an opinion for a decent monopod for around $ 100 or less?
I have a D300s and the largest lens I would use on this would be my Nikon 300 f/4 or even my Nikon Mirror 500mm f/5 which is my largest and heaviest lens.

May 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM
frdjohns

p.1 #2 · Good monopod

I have this one and love it. I use it with a Nikon 200-400 F4 and a RRS MH-01 Pro head.

Feisol CM-1471 - found here: http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Monopods

May 14, 2013 at 01:00 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #3 · Good monopod

Thanks for giving me the link to these. The more expensive one looks interesting. Probably don't need the extra weight of the bigger one, but for an extra $ 14 it might be worth it.

May 14, 2013 at 02:27 PM
macentropist
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Good monopod

I know it may be triple the price of the feisol, but i have been a very happy user of the Gitzo GM2541 for years now. Best, and last mono i have ever had.

Gitzo GM2541

May 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM
frdjohns

p.1 #5 · Good monopod

Dave - go for the bigger one, well worth the $14. I had a smaller diameter bogen-manfrotto monopod before this, about the size of the smaller one on that page. The larger is better; it's more stable, more comfortable to hold on to, stronger, and because it is carbon fiber it is still really light to carry.

May 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM
John Webb
• •
p.1 #6 · Good monopod

I have the Feisol CM-1471 with a Manfroto 3232 head and Kirk Universal quick release clamp. Recently used the combination to shoot sports cars at Road Atlanta using the D800 and then the 300mm f4 with 1.7 teleconverter.

Both my camera as well as my telephotos have the Arca style quick release or "L" plates that I use with my tripods as well as the monopod. Love the combination

May 14, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Good monopod

I bought a SIRUI P-326 a few months ago and it's a really nice monopod: featherlight, strong, nice fit 'n finish and collapses to 15 inches. It even fits in my Maglite belt clip for easy transport while shooting. And it's a Benjamin, but I ended up spending more since I added a Sunwayfoto Arca clamp (the round one).

http://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-P-326-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B004QC6VAG/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

May 14, 2013 at 06:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Good monopod

I consider an MP a consumable item in the long run. I too use the Feisol CM 1471R. It is well worth it's fare.

May 14, 2013 at 06:20 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #9 · Good monopod

The Sirui P-326 monopod looks very interesting. Since it is carbon fiber, it would be a chance to see what these are like for a reasonable price. Plus it has a max load of 22lb. The price is reasonable too.
Is this tripod made in China or elsewhere?

May 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Good monopod

yes it is of Chinese origin. and you will find a few very similar to it in design and manufacturing too.

May 16, 2013 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · Good monopod

Hi Dave,

If, by saying, "the automatic one", you are referring to the Manfrotto Neotec 685B monopod, then, yes, I've had extensive experience with that one! It's my go-to choice when traveling about with the Sigma 120-300mm for local birding jaunts. I put a Manfrotto 322RC2 Trigger ballhead on the top and added the Manfrotto 357 quick-release assembly to that so I would have compatibility with my Manfrotto gimbal head. (I keep the 357PL plate on the lens foot at all times.)

Operation of this setup is a "dream" for me...I can quickly lift the monopod to maximum height and be able to get under the camera for up-in-the-tree shots (I'm 6-foot tall), then, with a squeeze of the monopod trigger shorten the setup for eye-level shooting, or go even shorter for low angle work, all in the blink of an eye. Easy-peasy adjusting height and angles, and between landscape and portrait, with the two trigger mechanisms on both the monopod and ballhead! The camera is always in your face, and your target always in-sight while adjusting...no bending down to adjust anything while your little birdie flies off when you're not looking! An extra bonus is the indoor-use swiveling rubber foot which pops right off to reveal a spiked-foot for outdoor shooting!

You couldn't sell me a monopod with time-consuming flip-locks or twist-locks since I've been using this setup! Manfrotto has two winners with the Neotec and trigger ballheads, in my book!

I hope this was helpful!

May 21, 2013 at 02:47 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #12 · Good monopod

Gochugogi wrote:
I bought a SIRUI P-326 a few months ago and it's a really nice monopod: featherlight, strong, nice fit 'n finish and collapses to 15 inches. It even fits in my Maglite belt clip for easy transport while shooting. And it's a Benjamin, but I ended up spending more since I added a Sunwayfoto Arca clamp (the round one).

http://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-P-326-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B004QC6VAG/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Yup I got one also...very well made and well priced

May 21, 2013 at 03:03 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Good monopod

I also have the P-326. I like it a lot.

I've got the Sunwayfoto monopod head on it and their cool discal clamp (DDH-02). That combo makes switching between using the L-bracket on my body and the foot on my 70-200 much faster/easier:

lee_3125 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

_DSC4306 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

May 21, 2013 at 02:12 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Good monopod

Monopods and pistol grip ball heads are a natural team. Also, get a monopod that is taller than you. Eventually you will need that height.

May 21, 2013 at 03:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Good monopod

I find a pistol grip possibly the worst option on an MP

May 21, 2013 at 04:36 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #16 · Good monopod

I also recommend the Feisol CM-1471 from really big cameras. I put a small Giotto arca-swiss compatible ball head on it. It makes a good walking staff as well.

May 21, 2013 at 06:46 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Good monopod

Sirui monopods are awesome, I had the Sirui 236 sold it to get a bigger monopod. But you get a lot of bang for the buck with this beauty. I was torn between the Feisol 1471 and the Sirui P-424 and because I had the Sirui before i went with the 424 $124, I also have the Sirui L-10 head very well built

May 21, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Good monopod

The Manfrotto 681 and 681B are very stable. And they cost $ 60-70

May 21, 2013 at 09:33 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Good monopod

sjms wrote:
I find a pistol grip possibly the worst option on an MP

I'd agree with this.

May 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Good monopod

M635_Guy wrote:
I'd agree with this.

I found it painful on a tripod as well. Really burned my knuckles up after an hour or so.

May 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password