New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

ConstellationX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

I'm a total newb to the industry, so I'm wondering how other photographers handle this type of situation.

I've been having focus issues with my Canon 7D. I did a hard reset on it about a week ago, which improved the camera's focus a TON. But it still has a few issues every few images. So, to compensate, when I've been doing sessions, I take five to seven pictures of the same image. Usually at least one turns out crystal clear.

But, occasionally, the focus is completely off in an entire series of a single pose. Sometimes only a hair, though.

When you have images that are just BARELY out of focus, but its a really great pose/expression/etc, do you still try to work with it, edit it a bit, and post it/give it to the client? Or do you scrap it all together?

May 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

It's possible to use selective sharpening with multiple layers to 'fix' key parts of a slightly OOF image, but it only works well for relatively small output formats (i.e. web images) and smaller prints; prints on canvas can tolerate this better than higher resolution papers. It also introduces noise, and so it really helps to have a very clean file to start with.

Also, it depends on how much time you have to spend on this, and how important the OOF images are to the overall package that you want the client to buy. If you don't need them, then leave them alone; although it's a process that you can practice and get pretty quick at doing.

May 14, 2013 at 07:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

P.S. you should ask this question on the Post-processing forum.

May 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

Anything to do with OOF photos and "clients", you get your camera fixed, or buy a new one and shoot over. Everything else is optional.

May 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM
ConstellationX

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

jcolwell wrote:
P.S. you should ask this question on the Post-processing forum.

Thanks for letting me know! I will repost it over there

May 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

I'd send the camera in for calibration. It sounds like something is horribly wrong. I wouldn't ever accept having to take 7 photos to get one sharp one. At least not when it comes to stationary people.

May 15, 2013 at 08:02 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

Are you using spot focus on the subject eye. If not then the auto focus will find some point on the body and seldom even focus on the face and never the eyes. Most images of people will look very soft because the attention is the eyes.

I avoid showing OFF images to start with. I require sharp under normal screen magnification. For oversized I will be even a bit more selective.

May 15, 2013 at 04:37 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

BenV wrote:
I'd send the camera in for calibration. It sounds like something is horribly wrong. I wouldn't ever accept having to take 7 photos to get one sharp one. At least not when it comes to stationary people.

It is really terribly annoying. And embarrassing.

I took the camera in to our local camera store, and asked a few questions, and shared my issue, and the man I was working with told me he believes that I am standing the wrong way….he showed me the proper way to stand, and sent me on my way. It was a waste of my time.

I will be bringing it back in at the end of June and will have it re-calibrated.

May 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

jefferies1 wrote:
Are you using spot focus on the subject eye. If not then the auto focus will find some point on the body and seldom even focus on the face and never the eyes. Most images of people will look very soft because the attention is the eyes.

I avoid showing OFF images to start with. I require sharp under normal screen magnification. For oversized I will be even a bit more selective.

I do use the AF selection points on my canon 7D. Its frustrating me so badly to be having this issue. I'm very much starting to doubt my abilities, thinking that the softness is due to operator error.

I've learned a few sharpening tools since asking this question; I was told that all images need to be sharpened to a degree for printing. Not necessarily sure if that is true?

May 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

Care to share some of the images that are 'just' off? Might help to see how far off you are talking about. But frankly, if you're doing professional work, you need at least two bodies anyway, so I'd get that second body and send the first one to Canon for calibration.

May 20, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

There is no such thing as a perfect AF system, which is why some people use the Live View mode for focusing on stationary objects. I would do a little more debug into your camera settings and how you're shooting before sending what I assume is a new camera in for service.

Are you shooting in low or high light? What are you using as your primary focal point on your subject, is it a high-contrast area?

Are you using 'AI Servo' or 'AI Focus' mode on the camera, by any chance? If you are, then you should switch to 'One Shot' mode for more reliable AF operation when photographing stationary objects. Those modes are great for photographing moving objects but can cause the AF to shift a little.

On my 7D I decoupled the AF from the shutter release button (referred to as back-button AF or BBAF) such that once I obtain focus I can take as many pictures as I desire without it changing. Of course you could also just switch your lends to MF (assuming your lens supports) mode once you have your desired focus.

May 20, 2013 at 08:25 AM
hdavid
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Out of Focus Images & Sharing with Clients

Hi - if you could share or show, or provide a link to some of your photos with the EXIF data intact - we can certainly help. At least get you going in a focused direction.......

May 22, 2013 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.