Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Honestly this lens is just too dang expensive. Id much rather have the 300mm f2.8L IS II and a 1.4x and 2x converter and save many thousands of dollars in the process.

The Nikon 200-400mm is $6800 for cripes sake! huge difference and its an excellent lens and what Canon shooters have been wanting for long. Who cares if it doesnt have a $500 converter built in. Certainly not worth the $5000 extra!

This obviously is not in the same league as the $8000 for a Sigma DSLR pricing fiasco but its up there. Huge fail from Canon pricing wise.

May 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.9 #2 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

roboticspro wrote:
Good Morning Peter!,

I can see it being another engineering feat/benchmark for Canon in the sense as a previous poster noted; there is a paradigm shift towards the acceptance of zooms as "first-line" solutions. If a working pro can do more with less overall weight/bulk to cover an event, what else could one ask?

Good engineering practice (and time) waits for no one...

Regards,

Edd

Good morning Edd.
Yes, I hear you, and I'd agree that the lens seems to have been engineered real well, with respect to details of build and performance.

However, I have my doubts about the excellence of conceptual/fundamental engineering that went into it. I'd consider the 200-400 zoom an engineering feat if it was developed as a 2.6 kg DO version, with IQ in the refractive supertelephoto ballpark. I believe such lens design would not only magnify its desireability and sales significantly, it would also allow Canon to shut down the "antiquated" 400 DO product line.

May 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

PetKal wrote:
Thank you, Geoff......in addition to several scenic shots, there are two portrait pictures in that source, shot at 540mm wide open, which look nice and sharp enough to me.

I've downloaded the .cr2 files and I'm severely underwhelmed If I had the money in the bank, based on these samples, my money would stay in the bank. I've seen sharper images from a 70-200 with 2 x iii ext. wide open. The only good thing is the two lovely subjects down on the walkway. The downside is they're not that sharp

May 22, 2013 at 03:43 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.9 #4 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74 wrote:
I've downloaded the .cr2 files and I'm severely underwhelmed If I had the money in the bank, based on these samples, my money would stay in the bank. I've seen sharper images from a 70-200 with 2 x iii ext. wide open. The only good thing is the two lovely subjects down on the walkway. The downside is they're not that sharp

Stu, please keep in mind that we're talking about a French publication. They likely couldn't get a sharp image and decided to surrender... er, give up.

May 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #5 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

mitesh wrote:
Stu, please keep in mind that we're talking about a French publication. They likely couldn't get a sharp image and decided to surrender... er, give up.

Cheese eating..... I hope there are no French fellas on here.... In all seriousness though, the RAW files really aren't very good (thoughts?). It cant be a micro adjustment issue because in some images nothing looks particularly sharp front to back. These images, to me, really don't look like they came from a lens costing a 5 figure sum. I've just been pixel peeping my RAW files from the 5D3/500 ii with 1.4 x ii ext and they are completely different. If the 200-400 supposedly has prime like IQ, then these samples have tossed its reputation down the well!

I think we need more samples

May 22, 2013 at 04:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.9 #6 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Stu, I have examined both the RAW as well as the JPG file of the man's portrait, and to me that looks as good as any supertelephoto could yield. Probably 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII bare could do similarly, but not with the 2xTC.

I guess you might be more sharpness picky than I am.

May 22, 2013 at 04:19 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.9 #7 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74 wrote:

The sharpness is actually very good at 560 mm, the image with the two human beings ( ) photographing the waterfall is just a tad front focussed. You can find tiny, tack sharp straws if you look elsewhere, but it takes a dedicated pixel peeper to do that

What is underwhelming, and not possibly subject to user error, copy variation or anything else but the lens+TC, is the red-green CA you can easily see towards the right edge, in the walkway.

Edit: Peter, you found the sharpness as well. Well done

May 22, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #8 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

PetKal wrote:
Stu, I have examined both the RAW as well as the JPG file of the man's portrait, and to me that looks as good as any supertelephoto could yield. Probably 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII bare could do similarly, but not with the 2xTC.

I guess you might be more sharpness picky than I am.

Says you with $4mil worth of the best lenses money can buy I haven't found anything tack sharp in any of the images. Honestly if I was in a store and a salesman was trying to convince me that these images came from a 12k lens, I'd think he was pulling a fast one. I'm quite convinced my 70-200 with 1.4 x ii is sharper than those samples. If Andy Rouse was raving about this kind of sharpness I have only "Go home Andy, you're drunk" to say

May 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #9 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

alundeb wrote:
The sharpness is actually very good at 560 mm, the image with the two human beings ( ) photographing the waterfall is just a tad front focussed. You can find tiny, tack sharp straws if you look elsewhere, but it takes a dedicated pixel peeper to do that

What is underwhelming, and not possibly subject to user error, copy variation or anything else but the lens+TC, is the red-green CA you can easily see towards the right edge, in the walkway.

Edit: Peter, you found the sharpness as well. Well done

Trust me, I am a dedicated pixel peeper I think I have spent more time pixel peeping the images I shot with the 500 ii loaner I got off CPS than I actually spent shooting (with and without 1.4 x ii) with it

To me, there is nothing in any sample, anywhere (front focused, back focused, focus nailed on subject) in these RAW files that says supertele prime like quality. I managed to tear my eyes away from the two cute ladies and view that straw at 100%. It's in focus just as I saw it earlier, but I'm still not impressed.

I've even converted a couple of the RAWs myself using DPP and compared to 70-200/2 x iii and the winner is....(hint, the combo costs 6 times less) I'm not bashing the new lens, just these samples. As I said I'd like to see more samples and I think we might then get to see what all the fuss is about. The portrait of the guy is as close to decent as any of these shots gets. Obviously that's just me... blind and fussy

May 22, 2013 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.9 #10 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74 wrote:
I've even converted a couple of the RAWs myself using DPP and compared to 70-200/2 x iii

Me wants to see those conversions.

May 22, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #11 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

alundeb wrote:

kk, I'll try get 'em up on flickr as soon as

May 22, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #12 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

alundeb wrote:

Here's the 70-200 with 2 x iii (400mm @ f/5.6 5D3 100% crop)
Deer eye crop

Heres the straw from the 200-400

straw, not girls

No additional sharpening applied to either crop. I could probably find better examples of the cheaper combo looking better, but I'd rather go and make a cup of tea

May 22, 2013 at 08:04 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.9 #13 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74 wrote:
Here's the 70-200 with 2 x iii (400mm @ f/5.6 5D3 100% crop)
Deer eye crop

Heres the straw from the 200-400

straw, not girls

No additional sharpening applied to either crop. I could probably find better examples of the cheaper combo looking better, but I'd rather go and make a cup of tea

Thank you!
Be careful not to confusing subject detail spatial frequencies with lens sharpness. There are thinner straws / grass with higher actuance in the same image.
One more question, can you post a full image with the deer eye to show how much of the frame it is? It looks too good to be a 100% crop, with any lens without TC, on a Bayer sensor.

May 22, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #14 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

alundeb wrote:
Thank you!
Be careful not to confusing subject detail spatial frequencies with lens sharpness. There are thinner straws / grass with higher actuance in the same image.
One more question, can you post a full image with the deer eye to show how much of the frame it is? It looks too good to be a 100% crop, with any lens without TC, on a Bayer sensor.

No trust! screenshot, full image

I posted a screen shot from LR4 so you could see the settings, but it's obviously lost a bit of quality in the process and uploading. I just don't find the 200-400 image particularly impressive I dont see much in the way of detail on each piece of straw. Also take a look at the image of the white boat out of the water. At 100% that's not good. I still think the lens is capable of better results than these. If Andy Rouse and the Olympics shooter rave about the prime like IQ and sharpness, these samples aren't representative of that IMhO.

May 22, 2013 at 08:43 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.9 #15 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74 wrote:
No trust! screenshot, full image

I posted a screen shot from LR4 so you could see the settings, but it's obviously lost a bit of quality in the process and uploading. I just don't find the 200-400 image particularly impressive I dont see much in the way of detail on each piece of straw. Also take a look at the image of the white boat out of the water. At 100% that's not good. I still think the lens is capable of better results than these. If Andy Rouse and the Olympics shooter rave about the prime like
...Show more

Thank you. Something is wrong. The math between your full image and the crop (800 px on the long side covering about 28% of the full image) gives that your 5D III has only 6 megapixels. Nice image BTW.

May 22, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.9 #16 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

alundeb wrote:
Thank you. Something is wrong. The math between your full image and the crop (800 px on the long side covering about 28% of the full image) gives that your 5D III has only 12 megapixels. Nice image BTW.

I did it by hand so its probably more like 75-80%... still I'd say with that combo and wide open with default LR setting its not half bad Glad you like image anyway. I'm lucky enough to have access to numerous Red Deer (and wildfowl) in a huge park just 20 minutes cycle from home.

May 22, 2013 at 09:11 PM
win2kpro

p.9 #17 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

I will trade my 70-200 f4 IS for it

May 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password