Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              8       9       end

Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Harry.C wrote:
I'm sure it's lovely, but this has to be the worst value for your dollar out of the entire Canon range.

And maybe you can't grasp the concept of what an exceptional lens it is and there is not another Canon lens like it.

May 14, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #2 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

mitesh wrote:
Agreed (even though I have a hard time seeing a $12k purchase for a hobby as a "good deal".) I decided to pre-order the lens based on my observation that I delete as many or more photos because of excessively tight framing or chopped off wings than I do because of a lack of reach using my 600mm. Given the options for covering the 200mm-600mm hole in my FL coverage, this is actually a nice solution that is similarly priced as others and results in one lens for the job and no external TCs (I value convenience and simplicity). Of
...Show more

At this price and size, this lens was designed and targeted at professionals who can't afford to miss the shot. Having high IQ in the range of 200-600 f/4-5.6 with IS increases the odds of capturing the money shot.

May 14, 2013 at 03:54 PM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

IndyFab wrote:
So what is Canon going to give us Hobbist who shoot Sports and Wildlife.
Hopefully a new revised 100-400 II and a price that most would be willing to pay..

This is the price range that is really going to get hurt. With Nikon's 80-400 going for $2700 I would expect a new 100-400 to be over $3000 and probably closer to $3500. That affects far more people then a $12K zoom which is out of reach by 99.9% of photographers.

To be honest if I had $12K and a desire to lug around an 8lb lens I would get the 400/2.8.

May 14, 2013 at 04:05 PM
WarrenL
• •
p.4 #4 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

I see it as a replacement for the venerable FD 150-600 f5.6. That was a stand out lens for it's time. I used one for many years when I lived in South Africa for wildlife photography in the 1980's. Being able to zoom over that range with sharp photos and great colour was awesome.

So 30 years later we have a new version with AF and IS and if you take inflation into account, for I guess the same amount of money.

May 14, 2013 at 04:11 PM
WarrenL
• •
p.4 #5 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Sorry forgot to add a link for the lens for people who do not know about it:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/150600.htm

May 14, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.4 #6 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

hmm....I was initially excited about this lens maybe 2 years ago. But since, I picked up a 300mm f/2.8L IS II, which gives me a light weight 300 / 420 / 600 mm lens. All at very sharp IQ wide open. All for under $7k.

May 14, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

I have the 500 v1 and 600 v2 and am likely to buy the 200-400 and sell the 500 v1.I am just waiting for someone/somewhere to test it objectively as opposed to qualitatively. Hopefully the digitalpicture.com.

Several times while shooting wolves in the last 6 months (which you have to be really lucky to have the opportunity for) the wolf has decided to come to close and pose which has caused a mad scramble from 600/1.4 on 7d to 70-200 on 5diii. The 100-400 is a great lens but f5.6 on just makes the exposure too long. And 2 years ago I blew it with some young wolves with 500mm - too tight or too close all in the same 5 minutes as they came in and out of the bush sometimes close sometimes far - with cars whizzing by and me juggling converters.

And juggling my 1.4x with a big lens is scary for bodies and lens.

This guy just ended up being too tight. And the 100-400 would not have been as nice for such a great shot.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/320s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 04:48 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.4 #8 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Fred Miranda mentions professionals who can't afford to miss the shot. But if they rely on it exclusively, professionals who use this zoom and do sideline sports photography are guaranteed to miss a lot of shots—when the play comes right at them down the line—200mm is far too telephoto for that.

So professional sports shooters are going to carry two cameras, just like now.The question I'm asking is whether Canon missed an opportunity to fit a better-suited new big zoom into that professional niche. Suppose, for instance, that it were a peculiar-seeming 300-400 f/3.5 (or f/3.2, if it wouldn't be too big and heavy) zoom, with the same internal extender option. Wouldn't that work better as the longer end of a tandem sports package? You cover the long end (still 520mm) with at least f/5.0, maybe f/4.5, and get better background blur, which is always at a premium when you are reaching way out (I question how many sports pros are going to want to give up their f/2.8 backgrounds at 400mm, however). Maybe what I'm suggesting is that Canon's use of the built-in extender should have revolutionized their design thinking more than it seems to have done.

Or maybe it's not really intended as a sports lens. Maybe it's a safari lens—perfect for people who want to take their 200mm f/4.0 penguin shots with something that weighs 8 pounds and costs 5 figures.

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 05:14 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

splathrop wrote:
............professionals who use this zoom and do sideline sports photography are guaranteed to miss a lot of shots—when the play comes right at them down the line—200mm is far too telephoto for that.

For the majority of pro sports photographers and the majority of sports shots, 200mm is not "far too telephoto".

As for missing shots, they will miss far less than the photographers that are losing shots during the critical seconds it takes to change lenses or TC's, or even switching to another body with a different lens.

Seems most pros that used this lens at the Olympics were pretty happy with it.

May 14, 2013 at 05:13 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.4 #10 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

It's far too telephoto with the action right in front of you, on the sideline. Until someone invents a 70-400 f/4.0 (or wider) zoom, there isn't going to be a one-lens/one-body pro sports solution—not for sideline photography, anyway.

May 14, 2013 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

I think the price is reasonable for the market this is intended for given recent comps. We can't keep comparing back to lens pricing set years ago like the Nikon 200-400. Nikon has shown with its 800 f/5.6 pricing that it is more than ready to raise the bar on high-end lens prices. If Nikon brings out a new 200-400 that actually has decent IQ at 400mm for distant subjects then I'm sure they will price it close to this price (maybe less if no TC), but not anywhere near the current 200-400 pricing.

I see this lens being both a sports lens and a safari lens. Hand-holdable but not for extended shooting. Basically where you can use at least a beanbag or monopod for support and where convenience of the zoom range is key. Of course the added benefit of less dust getting into the lens on safari during TC changes would be a huge benefit.

Also don't forget this lens can take a 2.0TC also making it a 400-800 f/8 or even a 560-1120 f/11 MF lens. Or possibly taking a 1.4TC and making it a 392-784 f/8 (not sure if that would be better or worse than a straight 2xTC). Lots of possibilities if the IQ holds up and the light is good.

May 14, 2013 at 05:26 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.4 #12 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but for those of us in Canada, the suggested retail price is $12,399.99.
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/newsroom?m=getPress&pid=2097
http://canonlenses.ca/Get-close-from-a-distance/EF_200-400-4L_IS_USM_EXT-1.4X

Will be interesting to see what happens with CPS Canada pricing...

May 14, 2013 at 05:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Imagemaster wrote:
For the majority of pro sports photographers and the majority of sports shots, 200mm is not "far too telephoto".

It is a bit too long for sideline action in soccer and even more for sideline and endzone in football. For soccer they may be willing to go whatever since some shooters seem to shoot long prime and forget the close shots entirely (not sue I quite agree with that, but you can certainly do that reasonably fine enough). For football no way they wanna miss that endzone action right in front of them and no way, no way they go one body only with 200-400. NO WAY. Although I suppose they could try to body double up with 24-70 and 200-400 instead of 70-200 and 300 or 400 or 500 prime now so it could work well for football, but talk of it allowing for a one body solution for football is another matter.

May 14, 2013 at 05:50 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

rscheffler wrote:
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but for those of us in Canada, the suggested retail price is $12,399.99.
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/newsroom?m=getPress&pid=2097
http://canonlenses.ca/Get-close-from-a-distance/EF_200-400-4L_IS_USM_EXT-1.4X

Will be interesting to see what happens with CPS Canada pricing...

My guess is about $11k, perhaps a few $$ less, if they place it in the same price bin as the 800 and the 600.

End of May availability they say ? We shall see....

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 06:00 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 05:59 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.4 #15 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

splathrop wrote:
...there isn't going to be a one-lens/one-body pro sports solution—not for sideline photography, anyway.

If this is the criteria by which you're evaluating this lens, then it's unfair because it was never advertised to be a "one-size-fits-all" solution. It is however, a very flexible solution that covers a very useful focal range for a variety of applications, some of which could be sports and wildlife.

May 14, 2013 at 05:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.4 #16 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

splathrop wrote:
Fred Miranda mentions professionals who can't afford to miss the shot. But if they rely on it exclusively, professionals who use this zoom and do sideline sports photography are guaranteed to miss a lot of shots—when the play comes right at them down the line—200mm is far too telephoto for that.

So professional sports shooters are going to carry two cameras, just like now.The question I'm asking is whether Canon missed an opportunity to fit a better-suited new big zoom into that professional niche. Suppose, for instance, that it were a peculiar-seeming 300-400 f/3.5 (or f/3.2, if it wouldn't be
...Show more

The 200-400 range is great for the majority of field sports uses, and a built-in TC is icing on the cake because it means virtually no lost time fumbling with a TC, especially in less than ideal situations, such as when it's raining/snowing and dealing with rain covers, wet hands, etc. (also why dual card slots and 32+GB cards are awesome). A broad enough zoom range means more utility and allows a sufficiently wide working range of 200-560.

With Canon's top end cameras now being FF, I find I'm using the 1.4x TC on the 400/2.8 a lot more than I ever did with the 1DIV, where I'd just as soon crop. And for some situations, such as shooting from near the line of scrimmage on the sideline, 400 is a bit too tight, even with FF but definitely so with APS-H. Being able to ease back to ~300 or even 200 is very, very welcome. It means I won't have a massive 200mm lens gap where I need to decide if I should use the 400 prime or the 70-200 zoom, and either end up way too tight or way too loose. Yes, I'll still be carrying a second body with a 70-200, and perhaps also a third with the 16-35...

As for giving up f/2.8: it's a compromise for other benefits that for some will outweigh the loss of one stop. In some situations, it doesn't matter much if you're shooting f/2.8 or smaller because the background will look terrible either way - typical for across the field shots of plays near the other sideline where there's already minimal background separation. At least for my sports client, the criticism has concerned cutting off body parts and never about busy backgrounds or shooting at a stop higher ISO... For news-type photography, getting the photo is paramount, the technical considerations less so. Being able to do more with one super-tele is also welcome.

May 14, 2013 at 06:04 PM
rockant
• •
p.4 #17 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

renfield33 wrote:
the lens is cool, but the pricing is ridiculous

On the more rediculous side it looks like you have to pay extra for a Hard Case.....

May 14, 2013 at 06:06 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.4 #18 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

rockant wrote:
On the more rediculous side it looks like you have to pay extra for a Hard Case.....

No, you don't. Just click on the "what's included" and you'll see that the hard case is part of the package that $11,799 buys you.

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 06:08 PM
mogud
• • •
p.4 #19 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

PetKal wrote:
My guess is about $11k, perhaps a few $$ less, if they place it in the same price bin as the 800 and the 600.

End of May availability they say ? We shall see....

I don't have any inside info, but it looks like this lens should be in the same bin as the 600II and as a result, less than $11k.

May 14, 2013 at 06:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.4 #20 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

skibum5 wrote:
It is a bit too long for sideline action in soccer and even more for sideline and endzone in football. For soccer they may be willing to go whatever since some shooters seem to shoot long prime and forget the close shots entirely (not sue I quite agree with that, but you can certainly do that reasonably fine enough). For football no way they wanna miss that endzone action right in front of them and no way, no way they go one body only with 200-400. NO WAY. Although I suppose they could try to body double up with 24-70
...Show more

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... Maybe a 24-105 instead of the 70-200 would be a better solution. I don't think I shot the 16-35 wider than 24 all that much for sideline action...

May 14, 2013 at 06:10 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password