Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Very in-depth write up by Andy Rouse. Taken on face value this lens should be superb. Maybe there is something to this "replacing a few primes" thing but the price in isolation is "BOHICA"

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?page_id=174

May 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

So what is Canon going to give us Hobbist who shoot Sports and Wildlife.

Hopefully a new revised 100-400 II and a price that most would be willing to pay..

May 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.3 #3 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

arbitrage wrote:
Interesting that the extender seems to improve the MTF at the wide end???

I wondered about that, but the MTF curve with extender is similar to the curve without extender stretched 1.4 times horizontally. What that chart means is, Canon claims that the extender is nearly perfect optically.

I have read that Canon and Nikon give computer simulated MTF curves instead of measured results. Your results may differ. I expect real lenses to perform worse than specs, but good enough for anybody but a determined chart shooter.

May 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.3 #4 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Since Canon now seems to have the technology to add a built-in 1.4x, I'd like to think that it's only a matter of time before they'll make a 400 f4 (non-DO) prime with the 1.4x built-in. If that would ever come to pass, I'd certainly consider giving up my 400 DO and 500 f4 for a single long lens solution.

May 14, 2013 at 01:16 PM
rater

p.3 #5 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Wow, that is an expensive piece of glass... I guess it's the price of versatility!

May 14, 2013 at 01:43 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.3 #6 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

When you think about it, using this beast at the short end—200mm, f/4.0, $$$$$, 8 lbs.—is going to set some kind of record for equipment overkill. That raises two questions. First, are people using this lens really going to be shooting just one camera and just this lens? Or are they going to have another body and a 70-200 handy? Second, if they are going to be using something else besides, could this lens have been made smaller, lighter, and less expensive by designing it under that assumption, and not dropping the zoom range all the way to 200mm? Or is all the weight and expense a function of accommodating 400mm at f/4.0?

May 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

The prices of these new Canon lenses creates an opportunity for 3rd party manufacturers - like Sigma.

May 14, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.3 #8 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

splathrop wrote:
When you think about it, using this beast at the short end—200mm, f/4.0, $$$$$, 8 lbs.—is going to set some kind of record for equipment overkill. That raises two questions. First, are people using this lens really going to be shooting just one camera and just this lens? Or are they going to have another body and a 70-200 handy? Second, if they are going to be using something else besides, could this lens have been made smaller, lighter, and less expensive by designing it under that assumption, and not dropping the zoom range all the way to 200mm? Or
...Show more

Nikon's equivalent lens seems to be popular.

Think of it as a 400mm lens that you can zoom out if you need to. As Canon's press material says, you can change focal length without exposing the camera to dust (like if you're on safari). And it's functionally a 200-500 f/4-5.6 variable aperture zoom (not marketed as such because there is a stigma to variable aperture).

Personally if I could have one new Canon lens not to exceed $11,799 I'd take the 500/4 fixed.

May 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Aerophotog wrote:
No focus limiter?

May 14, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
Nikon's equivalent lens seems to be popular.

What lens is that

May 14, 2013 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Harry.C
• •
p.3 #11 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

I'm sure it's lovely, but this has to be the worst value for your dollar out of the entire Canon range.

May 14, 2013 at 02:43 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #12 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Harry.C wrote:
I'm sure it's lovely, but this has to be the worst value for your dollar out of the entire Canon range.

Why? All the new super teles are 10k+ and if this has prime like performance and zoom versatility, sounds like a good deal.

May 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #13 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

jctriguy wrote:
Why? All the new super teles are 10k+ and if this has prime like performance and zoom versatility, sounds like a good deal.

+1

May 14, 2013 at 03:12 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #14 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

It always amazes me how many supposed "professionals" and "enthusiasts" see in every Canon move (or non-move) an opportunity to slam Canon.

Do you really think, as all the whining seems to indicate, that Canon owes you to make all their gear "affordable" to you?

Don't like the lens? Don't buy it! Think it's "too expensive"? Don't buy it!

What a concept!

I won't be buying this lens, but I won't be slamming it, either.

[/rant]

Mark

May 14, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Vivek
• • • •
p.3 #15 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Wow, calling this pricing ridiculous IS an understatement. I am sure it is nice, but almost 12K, insane...

May 14, 2013 at 03:30 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

jctriguy wrote:

Agreed (even though I have a hard time seeing a $12k purchase for a hobby as a "good deal".) I decided to pre-order the lens based on my observation that I delete as many or more photos because of excessively tight framing or chopped off wings than I do because of a lack of reach using my 600mm. Given the options for covering the 200mm-600mm hole in my FL coverage, this is actually a nice solution that is similarly priced as others and results in one lens for the job and no external TCs (I value convenience and simplicity). Of course, not everyone's needs/projected uses will be the same.

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 03:32 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Vivek
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Thanks for reminding us that we do have the option to not buy [/sarcasm]

StarNut wrote:
It always amazes me how many supposed "professionals" and "enthusiasts" see in every Canon move (or non-move) an
opportunity to slam Canon.

Do you really think, as all the whining seems to indicate, that Canon owes you to make all their gear "affordable" to you?

Don't like the lens? Don't buy it! Think it's "too expensive"? Don't buy it!

What a concept!

I won't be buying this lens, but I won't be slamming it, either.

[/rant]

Mark

May 14, 2013 at 03:32 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #18 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Vivek wrote:
Thanks for reminding us that we do have the option to not buy [/sarcasm]

Glad to be of service! With all the gnashing of teeth and threats to jump off of bridges, I thought that injecting a bit of reality into the "discussion" was helpful, and you have validated my choice!

Mark

May 14, 2013 at 03:40 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Vivek wrote:
Wow, calling this pricing ridiculous IS an understatement. I am sure it is nice, but almost 12K, insane...

I'm not sure it is. Canon have now come out with a succession of new "mk2" lenses, all sporting dramatically larger price tags. With the 200-400mm they are now actually introducing a whole new type of lens rather than a "mk2". This all suggests to me that Canon has made a major investment in their lens design section, and they are sure to want to recoup some of that investment. The fact that they keep producing these lenses, with seemingly ever increasing price tags, suggests that despite the high cost they are selling pretty well.

May 14, 2013 at 03:43 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.3 #20 · Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

We pay alot for "motorized" video focus...that I for one don't need...

May 14, 2013 at 03:48 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password