Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Pricing help for product photography (BEER!) - updated with more info...

KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pricing help for product photography (BEER!) - updated with more info...

RustyBug wrote:
Oh .. but you did, even if it is way more than you realize.

You're ability to present with the conviction and the ability to provide some sound objection handling (based upon your research/homework) likely was an integral aspect in getting him to agree with you.

"Selling" isn't what most people think it is ... it sounds like you did a nice job.

Thanks. One thing I made sure to stand firm on every time we spoke or wrote or whatever was...

"You've seen the images, and they're good." I took the time to shoot the samples, which is what I think got me the job and got me a decent price. I made it perfectly clear that despite my "inexperience" (meaning I've never been hired to do this), he was getting the product he needed. I still based some of my pricing, discount, and all that crap on the inexperience, but it was based even more on the fact that my images are good.

I really do appreciate all the help from all of you guys. It's been immeasurable.

May 17, 2013 at 04:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pricing help for product photography (BEER!) - updated with more info...

KaBudokan wrote:
he was getting the product he needed.

You were solving his problem (and sometimes they have to be reminded of that, lest they forget) ... Bingo.

You handled his objections (inexperience) with the evidence of your samples. Standing firm responded to your Conviction (the two are tied together) in the belief that your proposal would provide the solution to his problem.

Giving him some "credit" (psychological reciprocity) for his concern @ inexperience falls into the realm of Conversation, establishing a reason for him to like you as you showed that you could listen to him.

May 17, 2013 at 04:20 PM
sleibrand
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pricing help for product photography (BEER!) - updated with more info...

Sounds like this worked out well - you've received valuable experience and you're getting paid an amount that you're not unhappy with.

I think that once you finish the initial contract you have a great opportunity to guide them into taking it to the next level. When it's all said and done, they probably need pictures of the beer bottles but is that really the best marketing they could do?

How about some quality pictures of the beer in a glass? Maybe with some models? How about head shots of key employees for the web site? How about shots of their plant/process? Or their ingredients?

Convince them that it's not just about setting up lights and snapping a shot, it's the creativity and vision that you can bring to the table.

There's a reason that their beer commands a premium over a Bud Lite (or there should be). Convince them that you understand that and that you want to help them succed by showing the value to their customers. That's the way to get them away from the commodity pricing.

May 22, 2013 at 04:24 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pricing help for product photography (BEER!) - updated with more info...

sleibrand wrote:
Sounds like this worked out well - you've received valuable experience and you're getting paid an amount that you're not unhappy with.

I think that once you finish the initial contract you have a great opportunity to guide them into taking it to the next level. When it's all said and done, they probably need pictures of the beer bottles but is that really the best marketing they could do?

How about some quality pictures of the beer in a glass? Maybe with some models? How about head shots of key employees for the web site? How about shots of their
...Show more

Thanks for the encouragement!

I actually just submitted the images today, and got a great response. Altogether I spent a decent amount more then the 8 hours - maybe closer to 12+? But, when I went to pick up the beer, they ended up having more than the initial quote was for, and they agreed to the same terms for the additional 7 shots, so I ended up at $1350 for the whole job.

This was definitely the "first round" of stuff, and my plan is to encourage them to do "environmental portraits" of each of the new releases and/or seasonal beers and brewer's choice beers they put out. (A summer beer poolside, the autumn beer with a bonfire behind, etc...) And, I do think for their style of beers, pictures in a glass would be helpful. I did make a point to light the beers so you can see the color of the different varieties in the bottles.

So yeah, I'm hoping this is the beginning of a longer-term relationship.

May 25, 2013 at 03:15 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.