Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

fuzzybabybunny
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

I want to have this kind of configuration:

With the double ended arca plate one could simply flip the entire thing upside down and use the panning base on the ballhead without having to level out the tripod legs and without having to unscrew any clamps.

The double sided arca clamp can be bought here:

http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-Bidirectional-Offset-Compatible-DDB-53/dp/B004FA4WVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368491028&sr=8-1&keywords=double+clamp+arca

May 13, 2013 at 07:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-0-x-1-2-rail-Arca-Swiss-Wimberley-Kirk-Markins-Benro-Acratech-Hejnar-/330898657134?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4d0b18cf6e

May 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM
fuzzybabybunny
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

jcolwell wrote:
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-0-x-1-2-rail-Arca-Swiss-Wimberley-Kirk-Markins-Benro-Acratech-Hejnar-/330898657134?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4d0b18cf6e

No, not a rail. Just a regular plate that has double ends so it can be clamped from both ends by clamps.

May 13, 2013 at 08:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

It looks to me like you would wan a A-S ballhead base.. Sorry, but all ballhead bases are round. At least all the bases I know of are roundular. A-Ss clamps are squareish.

May 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM
fuzzybabybunny
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

runamuck wrote:
It looks to me like you would wan a A-S ballhead base.. Sorry, but all ballhead bases are round. At least all the bases I know of are roundular. A-Ss clamps are squareish.

I really am just looking for a double ended rectangular plate. The possibilities for configuration of your gear in ANY order with a simply double ended plate and double ended clamp are too hard to ignore.

May 13, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

Really Right Stuff sells all the things you have shown. You show a double sided plate in your sketch, and the RRS Multi purpose plates are exactly that. The double clamp you show is available directly from them, and you can also put some RRS clamps together to form a back to back pair of clamps. And RRS makes dovetail "plates" that are designed to fit on the bottom of round ball heads, and provide a short dovetail that can mount in a clamp.

I understand your desire to flip a ball head for doing a pano, but adding a leveling base to the tripod, or attaching one in the stack using Arca Swiss compatable plates and clamps may be a better approach. And for me, I find that leveling the tripod its self is also a very practical way to shoot.

May 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

While I see how that would work, you could accomplish the same thing with less weight and complexity with an Acratech ballhead, which are designed to be mounted either flipped or not. Changing the orientation isn't as simple as using a clamp, since you have to unscrew the head from the tripod and reposition the clamp on the ball, but it only takes a minute, and can be done in the field. Might be an alternative if you haven't already considered it.

Dave

May 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM
fuzzybabybunny
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

dsjtecserv wrote:
While I see how that would work, you could accomplish the same thing with less weight and complexity with an Acratech ballhead, which are designed to be mounted either flipped or not. Changing the orientation isn't as simple as using a clamp, since you have to unscrew the head from the tripod and reposition the clamp on the ball, but it only takes a minute, and can be done in the field. Might be an alternative if you haven't already considered it.

Dave

Only the Acratech GP heads allow this, right?

This thread was actually in response to this. I felt that it would be a lot simpler, faster, and possibly cheaper to just get a double ended Arca plate. Then you could do the inverted thing with *any* ballhead with a panning base, or do it with a non-panning base ballhead + separate panning base combo, and it would be cheaper and easier than getting a dedicated Acratech.

May 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

Yes, the GP and GP-S. It's a matter of preference, of course, but I find the Acratech approach simpler than the multi-part approach you are contemplating. But it looks like either would work.

Dave

May 14, 2013 at 01:32 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

Just out of curiosity, what does this setup gain you over using something like a panorama clamp?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PCL-1&type=0&eq=&desc=PCL-1%3a-Panning-Clamp&key=it

Seems like a lot simpler than unscrewing your entire ball head and flipping it over?

May 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

I use the GP-S ballhead set up all the time with the rotator on top, so I never have to change it (though I could if I wanted). I haven't found any advantage to having the rotator on the base for general photography, and with it on top I can both level and rotate without having to change anything or add anything to the stack.

The PCL-1 is, by all accounts, a nice instrument, but it would be an extra part and more weight to carry; whereas the GP-S is natively set up to do that.

Dave

May 14, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is there a double ended arca plate?

I use a Sunwayfoto rotating (panning clamp) so I don't have to flip the works when I go from side to front mount plates. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do but it's also great for panoramic images on a travel tripod:

http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-Panning-Tripod-Compatible-DDH-03N/dp/B009JPAAPW/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

You can get the same clamp with a fitted Arca plate or add one yourself.

May 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.