Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

There are two different factors here. One is moving over to cloud-based, and the other to rental rather than sale. The two are independent of each other. Adobe just packaged them together so that one would mask the other. Examples? Dropbox, or Google Drive are pure cloud-based software. Are they rental-based? Not the base product, which is free.
OTOH, there is nothing that says that standard software needs to be cloud-based to be rented out. IBM was renting software 50 years ago...
There is also nothing that says that switching from straight sale to renting needs to cost more. It can be done on a revenue-neutral basis.
What hurts is that Adobe are not doing it on a revenue-neutral basis. It is a massive upsale, and a forced one at that.
Will it succeed? My money is that the hard core corporate clients like the advertising world won't jump ship, but, as they were already buying all the upgrades, the revenue upswing won't be that great.
OTOH, the many independents and hobbyists will resist, either by staying with CS5, or by deserting Adove outright.
My guess is that, for them, Adobe's default will be to offer them LightRoom, the capabilities (and price) of which will be enhanced.
Should Adove try the same forced upsale of LightRoom by going cloud-only, the decline must happen, because I don't see much of a hard-core must-use LightRoom use base, Vs a massive hobbyist one.
Overall, Adove is opening a massive window of opportunity for competitors to CS, should there exist a credible one. If I wanted Adobe to listen to its customers' discontent, I wouldn't rant and rage against them, which they knew would happen and doesn't cost them any revenue. I would concentrate on trying out CS alternatives, and post such tryouts all over the Net.
Should the free 30-day downloads of, say, Capture One, skyrocket, it would be a signal Adove couldn't (and wouldn't) miss that things are going south for their latest and greatest. Then the same stock exchange ratings that pushed their share price up would drive it down, and force a change of strategy, with a penalty to boot.

May 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

mike-in-ak wrote:
Actually they are selling a license to use the software. The software has always been the property of Adobe.

But now they are selling a license to use it one month or one year. Before the license gave you right to use it as long as you like........

May 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Velu01
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But now they are selling a license to use it one month or one year. Before the license gave you right to use it as long as you like........

It's like renting vs. buying a house ... I'd prefer to buy.

I don't like the idea of Adobe forcing me into a system of renting, even more not knowing how much rent I'll have to pay next year !!!!?
When I decide to stop renting, I might be unable to work with my older files ...
If you're not into the latest software, Creative cloud is more expensive ...
And so on ...

May 20, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Access
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

philber wrote:
Overall, Adove is opening a massive window of opportunity for competitors to CS, should there exist a credible one. If I wanted Adobe to listen to its customers' discontent, I wouldn't rant and rage against them, which they knew would happen and doesn't cost them any revenue. I would concentrate on trying out CS alternatives, and post such tryouts all over the Net.

"cost them any revenue"? Don't you mean profit?

IMO from Adobe's perspective, this a calculated decision to maximize profit, even if some revenue is lost. It's trying to make the transition to a pricing structure that has better margin.

It's not a new concept and it will probably work in the short term, the only thing I question is whether it will work in the long term.

May 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Actually, in the software business, especially if it is cloud-based, marginal revenue and profits are essentially the same, as costs are fixed. Tell me what your revenue is, and I'll tell you what your profit is. So I could have written "cost them profit", because that is what hurts, but we can't directly kill their profts by walking way, only their revenue, with falling profits to follow.
Conversely, they can't increase profits at the expense of revenue. They can increase profits at the expense of part of their customer base, if their per customer revenue increases faster than their customer base declines. But it is one big gamble...

May 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

philber wrote:
Actually, in the software business, especially if it is cloud-based, marginal revenue and profits are essentially the same, as costs are fixed. Tell me what your revenue is, and I'll tell you what your profit is. So I could have written "cost them profit", because that is what hurts, but we can't directly kill their profts by walking way, only their revenue, with falling profits to follow.
Conversely, they can't increase profits at the expense of revenue. They can increase profits at the expense of part of their customer base, if their per customer revenue increases faster than their customer base
...Show more
Okay I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree with all the assumptions (for instance that costs are fixed). Only in a perfect world. But that is beside the point really.

"They can increase profits at the expense of part of their customer base, if their per customer revenue increases faster than their customer base declines. But it is one big gamble..."
Yes this is the key. It's a calculated business decision on Adobe's part. IMO it will work out well for them in the short term, but poorly in the long term. It seems like once they are on top, some companies become their own worst enemy.

May 20, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Check this out....

these are the kind of artist's I don't think they will like losing. But it is done... they will lose many more.....and it will show in time on their greedy bottom line.

May 20, 2013 at 09:27 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

that was awesome

May 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Peter Le wrote:
Check this out....

these are the kind of artist's I don't think they will like losing. But it is done... they will lose many more.....and it will show in time on their greedy bottom line.

Yeah but I honestly believe the best thing to do is absolutely nothing, I mean just don't buy / pay them. If it is bad they will fall, or other options will open up, naturally and without effort.

It's just like in the gold rush, it wasn't the miners who got rich, it was the companies who made the shovels and picks. And the saloons, whorehouses, etc. all the other things associated with 'mining the miners'. That's the type of company that Adobe is.

Ultimately I believe all companies will act this way, if their product is absolutely essential for what you do, and there is no meaningful replacement. They will find a way to exploit that and they will mine you for all you're worth. When you are all mined out, they will find another person to mine or they will find some other way mine someone else even more. This is why, over the long term, what is happening with adobe is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I don't see why to fight, I mean say by some miracle someone who actually makes decisions at Adobe decides to change course. Then we are right back where we started, and is that really a good place to be? Compared to where Adobe is seeing meaningful competition and things cannot ever return to how they were? I really want to see Adobe go all-in with this strategy, and they likely will.

May 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Bring out the Gimp.

May 21, 2013 at 08:43 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

+10000000000

May 21, 2013 at 01:47 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

"Gimp's sleeping." dreaming of being 16bit.

May 21, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Ohhhh.....great article about the whole nightmare.
http://tidbits.com/article/13765

May 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

AVS Photo Editor 2.0.9.129 Portable

Not too bad for a lightweight landscape editor. I checked it out on Canon, Nikon, Panasonic RAWs which did well as did JPGs. Sony RAW files were BAD. More work needed there. As a landscape editor I like it better than C1 and with a little more work it may turn into a competitor for LR and C1 without the database which I dislike anyway.
Paul

May 27, 2013 at 09:17 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

This is purely Capitalism in action.....Adobe is working on the basis that it has a must-have software package that the user will buy into at any price.

If Adobe is right....it will make even more money. But if there are alternative programmes out there to lure away customers...or customers refuse to 'up-grade' to the rental scheme...Adobe will fail.

Ultimately, the more customers that resist the upgrade or move to alternatives, the greater the chance Adobe will have to knock this scam on the head.

May 28, 2013 at 03:51 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

There is nothing wrong with a purely capitalistic action the manor in which it was executed sucks though.

May 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Too bad so many of us have developed workflows and creative strategies that depend in the familiar Photoshop environment. I'm sure Adobe is counting on the strength of that comfort zone to keep us reeled in. I wonder how many of the important features that we rely on in PS are patented and protected? It's all a marketing/profit game.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:55 PM
ripkoken
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Guys quit your belly aching! Adobe is betting you need them more than they need you and that you will blink first and buy their package. There is a simple solution here. If sales drop big time for all Adobe products for 1 or 2 quarters, there will be layoffs, and a big change in attitude. The question is are you willing to stand the pain it will take to change their attitude towards you. My guess and theirs too is no you can't or won't. If profits fall, the stock market will help you take care of Adobe's attitude...trust me!

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:36 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

ripkoken wrote:
Guys quit your belly aching! Adobe is betting you need them more than they need you and that you will blink first and buy their package. There is a simple solution here. If sales drop big time for all Adobe products for 1 or 2 quarters, there will be layoffs, and a big change in attitude. The question is are you willing to stand the pain it will take to change their attitude towards you. My guess and theirs too is no you can't or won't. If profits fall, the stock market will help you take care of Adobe's attitude...trust
...Show more

+1!

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:42 AM
dadagallery
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

I'm seeing comments on OnOne Software where people are asking them to expand out and have a full PP application to compete with Adobe. Hopefully Google/Nik will be considering this also.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.