Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

An important read on the Adobe cloud topic from Damn Ugly Photography.

http://damnuglyphotography.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/why-we-all-must-fight-adobe-and-stop-the-creative-cloud/

The website creator (Brad Trent) has a terrific portfolio.

http://ipad.bradtrent.com/

May 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

May 14, 2013 at 01:15 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

One Nation Under God® got replaced by One World Under Adobe® Creative Cloud™.

May 14, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Yay, we're doing crappy photoshopping!

May 14, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Funny stuff.

May 14, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

If anything, the adobe forums need to be inundated with this.

May 14, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Sunny Sra wrote:
If anything, the adobe forums need to be inundated with this.

Good point sir.

May 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

I don't think we have to fight Adobe. Once upon a time Kodak was the dominant player in the photographic film industry, but they made several mistakes that allowed Fuji to enter that market market. Then they made a huge misstep with the advent of digital and Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. became the dominant players with digital. Today, sightings of kodak cameras in the field are increasingly rare. Real and meaningful competition will ultimately bring more choices, more value, more capabilities to the photo manipulation marketplace, not less.

May 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM
DonM2
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

I think this Adobe move has just inspired the major camera makers to get serious with enhancements to their own bundled software.

It's obvious this would boost their own marketing efforts. The payoff should be far less costly than the design and production costs of camera hardware. And this might make brand-jumping an even more thoughtful process for serious investors in a specific system.

The latter becomes a lot more relevant when those who happily process all their work with older free-standing apps that can't support newer cam raw files.

DonM

May 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

DonM2 wrote:
I think this Adobe move has just inspired the major camera makers to get serious with enhancements to their own bundled software.

It's obvious this would boost their own marketing efforts. The payoff should be far less costly than the design and production costs of camera hardware. And this might make brand-jumping an even more thoughtful process for serious investors in a specific system.

The latter becomes a lot more relevant when those who happily process all their work with older free-standing apps that can't support newer cam raw files.

DonM

Personally, I would rather the camera manufactures stick to manufacturing cameras rather than defocusing their efforts with complex software. I also own multiple brand cameras and do a fair amount of film that is scanned and I want 1 application that can handle all the different mediums...not 5 different apps, one for each brand of equipment.

May 15, 2013 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

The software companies with deep pockets, such as Microsoft, can step in and once for all change the entire landscape of this marketplace if they are ambitious enough.

May 15, 2013 at 02:12 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Adobe will back step on this at some point. After profits tank, Adobe will release a statement like: "Now back by popular demand Adobe is pleased to announce that Photoshop will be offered in both the original CD version along with the Cloud version."

It will be like Coke replacing itself with New Coke. Soon after the "new" drink appeared on store shelves the original Coke lovers stopped buying Coke altogether. Anyway, heads will roll at Adobe.

May 15, 2013 at 04:47 AM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

mshi wrote:
The software companies with deep pockets, such as Microsoft, can step in and once for all change the entire landscape of this marketplace if they are ambitious enough.

The same Microsoft that already decided it wanted out of the creative market, sold off or discontinued most of their creative applications, and unceremoniously obliterated their resource lists and communities?

May 15, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

borderlight wrote:
Adobe will back step on this at some point. After profits tank, Adobe will release a statement like: "Now back by popular demand Adobe is pleased to announce that Photoshop will be offered in both the original CD version along with the Cloud version."

They might, but it will be too late by then, at least for being the sole player in photo-manipulation software.

May 15, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

borderlight wrote:
Adobe will back step on this at some point. After profits tank,......

And what if they don't tank?

The problem is that while you and I are against this move, specifically becauseI already spent money buying the perpetual license to something that's no longer going to be updated, others, including people I know are jumping for joy because finally they have a way of affording something that they could never before afford. They don't care about the back end, it's too far away for them to visualise. They can afford the monthly rent now where before they couldn't afford to buy the 'whole'. There will be many more like them and this is what Adobe are counting on.

May 15, 2013 at 08:51 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

borderlight wrote:
It will be like Coke replacing itself with New Coke. Soon after the "new" drink appeared on store shelves the original Coke lovers stopped buying Coke altogether. Anyway, heads will roll at Adobe.

The Coke classic didn't really taste like the old original Coke when they brought it back.

May 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM
KFG1
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Access wrote:
I don't think we have to fight Adobe. Once upon a time Kodak was the dominant player in the photographic film industry, but they made several mistakes that allowed Fuji to enter that market market. Then they made a huge misstep with the advent of digital and Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. became the dominant players with digital. Today, sightings of kodak cameras in the field are increasingly rare. Real and meaningful competition will ultimately bring more choices, more value, more capabilities to the photo manipulation marketplace, not less.

Agreed, I think Adobe just gave their smaller competitors a golden opportunity to develop a true Photoshop replacement. I wouldn't be surprised that some of Adobe's own engineers start being hired away by other companies and start working on these types of projects.

May 15, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

KFG1 wrote:
Agreed, I think Adobe just gave their smaller competitors a golden opportunity to develop a true Photoshop replacement. I wouldn't be surprised that some of Adobe's own engineers start being hired away by other companies and start working on these types of projects.

Well if they do that I hope they take a fresh look at the program, interface, etc. I used photoshop back in the pre-CS? days and found it relatively intuitive, easy to use, and useful. But when I tried using it recently, I think it was CS2/3/4, it was non-intuitive, time consuming, and not all that useful. Especially when it's a newer or virtually unknown player in the market, it can't have a huge learning curve like the modern photoshop does. I don't think a photoshop clone will suceed in the modern market, I think designers need to take a look at what most people do most of the time and make those features easy to access and less time consuming to actually use well than the modern photoshop.

May 15, 2013 at 01:58 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

Dave_EP wrote:
And what if they don't tank?

The problem is that while you and I are against this move, specifically becauseI already spent money buying the perpetual license to something that's no longer going to be updated, others, including people I know are jumping for joy because finally they have a way of affording something that they could never before afford. They don't care about the back end, it's too far away for them to visualise. They can afford the monthly rent now where before they couldn't afford to buy the 'whole'. There will be many more like them and this is
...Show more

The monthly rent equals a year long unbreakable contract according to reviewers. Regardless how the license fee is collected, a lot of individual users will eventually stray from Photoshop and adapt other options as discussed here. For every Sirius radio, there is no-cost Pandora option. A growing number of people who have accepted cable TV with HD premium channels costing hundreds of dollars have opted for Netflix. Home phones have been replaced, for the most part, by cell phones. I think as monthly fees increase you will see more users jumping ship. Ad agencies, corporations, and graphic designers will always be Photoshop customers, but for the rest of the independent Photoshop users there will be fallout. When you have a good thing going, you don't mess with success.

BTW: I use Aperture 3.4.4 with Perfect Photo Suite 7 ($99).

May 15, 2013 at 02:00 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!

The problem is pretty deep, so to speak. Adobe is like a huge oil tanker and it takes a long time to turn it around.
I suggest you buy LR5 because it may be the last non-cloud product available for them.

I have tried all the want-a-bees and there isn't anything as good as Photo Shop. Like it or not.

May 15, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password