Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Using Resin ND Grad Filters degrades IQ.

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Resin ND Grad Filters degrades IQ.

I've used Neutral Density resin filters for several years now, for holding back skies in Landscape photography, and perhaps naively assumed that the term "optical-resin" and "optically-pure" meant just that, especially as all the "top" landscape photographers I knew were/are using them.

Recently however, whilst photographing a Landscape,(with a Tokina 100/2.8 macro), when inserting a filter whilst viewing the image on the LCD, I saw the fine twigs that I'd used to focus on, on a distant tree, being finely distorted/mushed. (The filter in question was one from Hi-Tech, costing £30, in the 85mm size, over double that in 100mm size.)

I immediately checked my stock of ND Grad filters from Hi-Tech, and Cromatek (all CR-39 Optical Resin) and found that to a greater or lesser degree, they all degraded the image. I found one from Hi-Tech so bad that I got it exchanged.

I can't speak for Lee or Singh-Ray, as I only use the 85mm size. Perhaps they are better, for the price, they certainly ought to be!

It seems rather foolish to be buying the best quality/ most "interesting" lenses I can afford, and then shooting through a piece of distorting "plastic". What do others think?

Sorry, I had meant to shoot some with/without examples but haven't got round to it.

I'd like to know if Lee/Singh-Ray have a similar effect or if "exposure blending" of some kind is a better way to go?

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Resin ND Grad Filters degrades IQ.

timballic wrote:
I've used Neutral Density resin filters for several years now, for holding back skies in Landscape photography, and perhaps naively assumed that the term "optical-resin" and "optically-pure" meant just that, especially as all the "top" landscape photographers I knew were/are using them.

Recently however, whilst photographing a Landscape,(with a Tokina 100/2.8 macro), when inserting a filter whilst viewing the image on the LCD, I saw the fine twigs that I'd used to focus on, on a distant tree, being finely distorted. (The filter in question was one from Hi-Tech.)

I immediately checked my stock of ND Grad filters from Hi-Tech,
...Show more

I have been using Singh-Ray Grad ND filters for a long time. Though I haven't used then as often as I might, I have not noticed an issue and I have been getting very sharp images from film and digital. The Singh-Ray ND and Grad ND filters are also the most neutral for color that I have ever seen. Below is an example using a 2 stop soft Singh-Ray ND filter with my Rangefinder Mamiy 7II (guessed where to drop the grad by looking at the front of the lens and the composition). The image is sharp and has been digitally printed to 30" long and could definitely print to 40" long and possibly 50".

Also, handle the filters as much as possible by the edges. Dust the filters with a blower and if you must clean preferably with a good liquid cleaner like Cony or Singh-Rays own and a microfiber cloth

Rich

May 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Resin ND Grad Filters degrades IQ.

Yes, I've always heard that Sing-Ray are the very best one can buy, at least in the US.
The thing is, before I actually did a specific test, I never noticed an issue with mine either. (I also look after mine very carefully, they're expensive and damage so easily.)
It was viewing very fine twigs at a distance with a high resolution lens, then sliding the filter in place whilst viewing the LCD of the 5DII at 10x, that brought home to me how much effect they were having, (refocussing didn't improve things either.)
What I'd really like to hear is that in a similar test, S-Ray or Lee don't have any visible effect on the image.

S-Ray are available in 84mm size, but seem unobtainable in UK, whilst Lee (the British Film industry standard), are only in 100mm and now 75mm size.

I've read umpteen articles on "true-neutrality" of ND Grad filters, which usually end up a tie between Lee and Singh Ray being the most neutral, but never anything about the optical purity of CR39 Optical resin and whether it differs between the manufacturers.

Hi Tech are probably the biggest producer in UK, since Lee price increases and availability problems of a couple of years ago.

May 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.