Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

ConstellationX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Hey FM members,

I'm Cat, new to this forum. I'm a beginning portraiture photographer, looking for a forum on which to get excellent CC and feedback on the images I have begun taking.

I figured I'd jump right in and share one of my recent sessions.

I'm always looking for constructive criticism and positive feedback, so anything you have to offer, I'd really appreciate!

Thank you!
Cat

May 13, 2013 at 04:27 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

The lighting looks flat, with catchlights right in the center of her eyes. I've never been a fan of big bows & ribbons, but maybe that's just me. When you're shooting these, be sure to get the eyes in sharp focus. They look a little soft, for instance, in #3 and #5. You're off to a great start!

May 13, 2013 at 04:42 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #3 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The lighting looks flat, with catchlights right in the center of her eyes. I've never been a fan of big bows & ribbons, but maybe that's just me. When you're shooting these, be sure to get the eyes in sharp focus. They look a little soft, for instance, in #3 and #5. You're off to a great start!

I'm not a huge fan of big bows either. I have two boys myself and never really deal with that in my house .

The outfits were put together by the little girl's mom. In retrospect, I should have asked to do a few with the bows and a few without. But is that overstepping my boundary as merely the photographer? If mom wants the big bow, should I interfere?

May 13, 2013 at 04:56 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #4 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Also, I'm having an issue with focus. I recently did a hard reset on my camera, and it made a difference, but the focus issue occasionally crops back up. I'm sure that means its operator error.

May 13, 2013 at 05:02 PM
GoodEgg
• •
p.1 #5 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Cat, she wears what mama brought. If mama sees the photos and likes 'em, great; she's the customer. This is a nice set -- you engaged the sweet little girl (or at least, someone behind you; she's not looking directly at the camera). Improvements: see if you can get rid of the gray in the background (on my monitor) unless that was your desired treatment. The floor looks like it's a vinyl roll-up; I'd straighten the wrinkles. On my monitor, her sweater is super-blooming (reduce the red channel?).

May 13, 2013 at 05:10 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #6 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

GoodEgg wrote:
Cat, she wears what mama brought. If mama sees the photos and likes 'em, great; she's the customer. This is a nice set -- you engaged the sweet little girl (or at least, someone behind you; she's not looking directly at the camera). Improvements: see if you can get rid of the gray in the background (on my monitor) unless that was your desired treatment. The floor looks like it's a vinyl roll-up; I'd straighten the wrinkles. On my monitor, her sweater is super-blooming (reduce the red channel?).

The wood floor is a vinyl, and I totally didn't notice that it was a little bubbl-y like that. So embarrassing!

I will mess around with the color tons a bit and see if I can tone her outfit down.

And I'm not sure I see a grey cast, but I can see about making that more uniform, as well.

May 13, 2013 at 05:15 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #7 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

GoodEgg wrote:

Do you see the grey cast in the first picture??

May 13, 2013 at 05:23 PM

BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Mom is the customer, so definitely go with whatever she wants. In these circumstances, I might've asked (depending on her personality) if she would like to get a few pics without the bows, just to see what they look like.

In case you don't know, many DSLR's allow you to fine-tune (micro adjust) the focus for each lens. The camera remembers the settings, and will automatically apply them when the lens is mounted.

May 14, 2013 at 01:54 AM
ConstellationX

p.1 #9 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Mom is the customer, so definitely go with whatever she wants. In these circumstances, I might've asked (depending on her personality) if she would like to get a few pics without the bows, just to see what they look like.

In case you don't know, many DSLR's allow you to fine-tune (micro adjust) the focus for each lens. The camera remembers the settings, and will automatically apply them when the lens is mounted.

I have heard of this! I really need to try it!

May 14, 2013 at 05:43 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Mum's love those bows. Especially on new born's(poor babies)

I think you did a nice job with these. Lighting isn't bad a little too centered and it's giving you a flat light. With similar shots i always start off with the light source either camera right or left and then introduce another either directly behind the camera or on the opposite side but at a lower power. It will give a nice fill but not make the lighting too flat.

As others stated suggest a few shots without the bows etc. As photographers we (at least I) like clean images that don't take away from the babies/child but parents love props and toys etc. In the end If mum was happy then great.

But a couple of things to think about next time.

Regards
Bud

May 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
sdgnh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Cat, I enjoyed your set. You got some very nice poses. I love the first one. I had the same trouble with some portraits I took of a friend's toddler. Bright, bright colors are so popular right now with baby clothes, it makes it tricky. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Nancy

May 15, 2013 at 03:29 AM
ahhhlawn

p.1 #12 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Nice set - although ditto what others have said. Focus seems to be front focusing? Micro adjustment?

May 16, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Cat,
Very well shot. I'm just starting to dabble with lights...its a PITA. You did really well. what was your setup?

May 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #14 · 9 Month Old Milestone Session *CC*

Sunny Sra wrote:
Cat,
Very well shot. I'm just starting to dabble with lights...its a PITA. You did really well. what was your setup?

I have a very large bay window in my living room that I use for small children with smaller backdrops. I have a set of studio lights, but I'm so intimidated by them!

May 17, 2013 at 05:14 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password