Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Laptop for Photoshop Work

JimmyStephans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

I'm hoping for referrals to laptops that are good for on the road Photoshop work. I guess, wide-gamut would be the term, so as much of the sRGB can be displayed without an external LCD.

Prefer Windows based units.

Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Customize your ThinkPad W530 Laptop with Color Sensor

Switch to list view

1. System Components2. Warranty & Software3. Accessories4. Review
<Processor Operating System Microsoft Productivity Software Preload Display Type System Graphics Color Sensor Total Memory Keyboard Pointing Device Camera Storage Subsystem Hard Drive Micro Hard Drive (mSATA) Optical Device System Expansion Slots Battery Power Cord Bluetooth Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters Integrated Mobile Broadband Adobe Elements Adobe Education Adobe Acrobat Adobe Lightroom Security Software Warranty Warranty Upgrade Battery warranty Education and entertainment Graphics and Web design Utilities Finance Special offers Power accessories Notebook expansion Multifunction hand-held keyboard External keyboard Pointing device Business cases Messengers Backpacks Sleeves Multimedia accessories Security accessories Cables and adapters Skins Storage and removable storage External monitor Monitor accessories Wireless WAN accessories >
Processor Help me decide
Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

[add $50.00] Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

[add $85.00] Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

[add $285.00] Intel Core i7-3840QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

[add $835.00] Intel Core i7-3940XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

BackNext
YOUR SYSTEM SUMMARY
Web price: $1,469.00

Total $1,469.00
Estimated ship date: 5/23/13**
Free shipping

System Components
Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready with color calibration sensor
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
Color Sensor
8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
Keyboard Backlit - US English
UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader for Color Sensor, Smart Card Reader
720p HD Camera with Microphone
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Bezel
9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
170W Slim AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
Mobile Broadband upgradable

can up grade processor lcd to 1920x180 and video card up 32GB ram a SSD can cost $4k

May 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Things are bad when sRGB is considered wide gamut, but some screens are pretty poor.

Aside from gamut you need to pay attention to viewing angle - including the vertical. Ideally a blank screen would look uniform everywhere even though you you may be looking left at some parts, right at others, straight on to the centre, and up or down. The bigger and/or closer the screen the greater the variation in viewing angle.

Too much variation in tone or colour at different viewing angles will undermine the benefit of having a good colour gamut.

Another key aspect of using Ps and the like on the road is knowing for how long you will be on the road. If you're away from home for a few days at a time then perhaps any laptop will suffice. If you are away for months at a time then you need a mobile base station and must weigh up the need for extra drives, bigger screen, etc., against the loss of portability. That's why I use a 17" laptop when a 15" would generally be considered more convenient.

- Alan

May 14, 2013 at 03:59 PM
JimmyStephans
• •
p.1 #4 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Guy, thanks for the replies. Good info!

May 15, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Checkout the HP EliteBook 8760W and all the options. Not cheap but does a great job.

May 17, 2013 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Depp
• •
p.1 #6 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Another vote for Lenovo Thinkpads or HP workstation notebooks, the HP Elitebook 8770W or the smaller 8570W, I use both....they're indispensable when it comes to speed for photo editing.

The previous generations Elitebook Workstations which I also use, can be bought for dimes on the dollar, and with easily accessible upgrades bays,320GB HD and upgradeable to three 500GB+/- hd's or ssd's, up to 3.4GHz quad-core processors which can be upgraded to the latest processors , and 8gb of ram upgradable up to 32GB.

The HP Elitebook workstations up to three generations back, will beat the pants off of many modern consumer laptops for photo editing and are easily upgradeable ....or any of the Lenovo Thinkpad workstations are still some of the fastest notebooks for photo editing.... and my favorite Lenovo from a few years ago being the Lenovo W700ds.

Want a notebook for severe field conditions and built to military standard MIL-STD 810F specs ...any of the Elitebook Workstations are built to take a beating(the last few gen of Thinkpads are equally as tough).The Elitebooks are capable of running up to four display monitors.

HP Elitebook Military Standards testing

HP Elitebook Easy Access for Upgrades

Add a 2nd HDD or SSD to an HP Laptop's Upgrade Bay

Lenevo stopped producing their large workstation notebooks, because they couldn't compete with the larger HP Workstations price wise. But buying a previous generation Lenovo workstation is still a good move, and like the Elitebooks are upgradeable.

Seattle Seahawks Photographer uses Lenovo ThinkPad W700ds

B&H Photo:Lenovo ThinkPad W700ds Dual Screen Notebook Computer

Desktop vs Workstation

Edited on Dec 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

May 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Depp
• •
p.1 #7 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

My favorite Lenovo W700DS ad....perhaps not work safe for some...Lenovo W700ds

Seriously Powerful: HP 8760w Mobile Workstation

May 19, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Whaler
• •
p.1 #8 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

I purchased a Satori from here http://www.malibal.com/ and have never looked back. SSD primary 750gb secondary drives and I beleive they still build with Win 7.

May 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

Once you use the 8760W you will never want another brand. I have mine configured with the "dream screen", three SSDs and 16GB of memory which for still photography is enough. The D800E files fly. I will probably update it to an Ivy bridge in another couple of years. Other than that its locked in unless I decide to do movies, then more memory would probably be usefull.
Regards
Paul

May 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #10 · Laptop for Photoshop Work

I love my W520. Definitely get the 1080P screen if you go this way, it is wide gamut (as a laptop screen goes). I read somewhere that it is 94% of RGB colorspace. I don't have the means to measure it myself, but I know that it is the highest quaility screen that I use on a regular basis. The difference is especially noticable in the reds. I wouldn't bother with the built in color calibrator, higher quality external ones cost a lot less than the upgrade price. This laptop can also easily be upgraded further than most:

Start with a W530, add an MSATA SSD to run all software from, and add two more 8 GB RAM chips for a total of 24 GB RAM, replace the two installed sticks as well to run 32 GB.

For less than $2k, you have a laptop with an ivy bridge i7 quad core processor, wide-gamut screen, 256 GB SSD, 500 GB storage hard drive, and 24 GB RAM.

May 20, 2013 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password