Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

"Smith Rock" Video Shot with 5D Mark III 24p Raw Video

May 15, 2013 at 02:07 PM
boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

This is pretty cool even though I don't do video. If you did pull the stills would it be in RAW format? I can see that being very useful in certain situations.

May 15, 2013 at 02:16 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

boingyman wrote:
This is pretty cool even though I don't do video. If you did pull the stills would it be in RAW format? I can see that being very useful in certain situations.

pseudo-raw, more like m or sraw than true raw

the stills are actually all pre-pulled after you do the first processing step (all 1100 per 4GB RAW video file )

May 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
pseudo-raw, more like m or sraw than true raw

the stills are actually all pre-pulled after you do the first processing step (all 1100 per 4GB RAW video file )

Ah I see. I wonder how camera movement affects still images from video. Are panoramas possible from stills if you choose the right ss? I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to video

May 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

boingyman wrote:
Ah I see. I wonder how camera movement affects still images from video. Are panoramas possible from stills if you choose the right ss? I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to video

affects it the same way as for stills other than 2MP is a bit more generous for camera shake and motion blur

otoh though you can get jello effects

May 16, 2013 at 01:21 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

another sample from from mpeg2 final movie version:
sample frame

May 16, 2013 at 01:22 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Something about the raw video format tends to really accentuate the 5D3's vertical banding issues though, wrong color temp lighting and solid area of wrong off shade and it is pretty prone to showing.

May 16, 2013 at 02:27 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

yet another frame grab:
frame grab

May 16, 2013 at 03:05 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

This is freakin amazing!

Now I have a really good reason to learn more about video and to buy a 5d3.

And the cost difference between a c500 vs a 5d3 may help convince the wife

May 16, 2013 at 09:51 PM
oasis
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

This is really cool.

I imagine that it will be at least a year or two before 1000x memory is cheap enough for this to become more widespread in use, especially for smaller outfits and semi-pros. From what I understand, approx. 5 min of footage per 32gb 1000x card ($40).

That is probably the time Canon planned to unveil the 5d4. We just got a sneak peak at one of its major features thanks to the guys at ML.

May 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

oasis wrote:
That is probably the time Canon planned to unveil the 5d4. We just got a sneak peak at one of its major features thanks to the guys at ML.

I'm hoping this is true and that this "spoiler" will force Canon into giving us more from the start going forward.

May 17, 2013 at 05:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

_SBS_ wrote:
I'm hoping this is true and that this "spoiler" will force Canon into giving us more from the start going forward.

Yeah it seems hard for them to not go all out now (of course we have said that before, let us hope they don't encrypt and otherwise make firmware hard to change for 5D4 and crippled the output on it; if they do the latter they will protect themselves right out of the market though, things are moving fast and the video world really really does not seem to wait).

May 17, 2013 at 07:49 PM
oasis
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
Yeah it seems hard for them to not go all out now (of course we have said that before, let us hope they don't encrypt and otherwise make firmware hard to change for 5D4 and crippled the output on it; if they do the latter they will protect themselves right out of the market though, things are moving fast and the video world really really does not seem to wait).

In many ways the strategy is very Applesque. You might develop a tech but not release it because the necessary "ecosystem" for the feature to be a success just isn't in place. An example of this is NFC in the iPhone. It's something that could have been implemented since iPhone 4, if not earlier. But what's the use of a cutting-edge feature if utilizing it will be messy, especially for the masses?

In much the same way, releasing the RAW video feature before other things are in place (e.g. cheap enough fast enough memory, a streamlined solution for converting the files, etc.) would lead to a messy solution. Touting something as a feature when it offers kind of a crappy user experience (regardless of the potential of the tech) isn't good business. In many ways, this "leak" is a positive for Canon. It publicizes their tech positively without their having to promote something that's just not ready for widespread adoption.

May 17, 2013 at 08:00 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

A nice demo someone made:

May 18, 2013 at 02:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

new release of ML appear to be handling extended files (but they don't have a converter that works on them for anything but linux at the moment) so people are getting 5 minute long scenes now.

May 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM
1       2       3       4      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.