p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Tutorial;

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

May 14, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Its very impressive feature, Im glad they did it. Opens whole world of possibilities.

One thing bugs me, and thats how much intentionally crippled cams from Canon are. I know, everything in the name of "money". But is it really needed? Do they really need to build image of Prime Evil?

I find that bit disturbing..

May 14, 2013 at 05:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Trying my first render. The footage at first glance appears to have much more natural grain and wide DR and better micro-contrast.

It's a bit of a bear with the sizes and all and having to re-render (31minutes to lossless intermediate for 1 minutes of footage yikes) but man the quality should be worth it.

May 14, 2013 at 05:51 PM
alexdi
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I'm looking forward to seeing how this feature is adjusted for time-lapse. A lot of folks have been waiting for a way to get raw output without wearing out the shutter. I'm also curious if it'll trickle down to the 5D II (presumably at a lesser res, I don't see this body writing 90 MB/s) and the more recent Rebels.

May 14, 2013 at 06:34 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

alexdi wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing how this feature is adjusted for time-lapse. A lot of folks have been waiting for a way to get raw output without wearing out the shutter. I'm also curious if it'll trickle down to the 5D II (presumably at a lesser res, I don't see this body writing 90 MB/s) and the more recent Rebels.

Sounds like 5D2 maxes out around 1880x720ish, at best, and might be plagued by the typical moire and aliasing of the 5D2 (not sure).

May 14, 2013 at 06:39 PM
alexdi
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Has it been ported to the 5D II?

May 14, 2013 at 06:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

alexdi wrote:
Has it been ported to the 5D II?

partly but i think it's even less polished and as I said I don't think it will ever deliver 5D3 level video since the 5D2 sensor doesn't do binning and the memory interface is slower, but at sub 1920x1080 (not that it delivers that anyway though ) I guess itmight get you some more DR assuming it doesn't make the aliasing and moire go over the top.

(For time lapse intervalometer they should maybe just be able to send out full size regular raws I'd think on any of the cams.)

I think I read that some of the rebel ports (for this raw video) are running into firmware bugs in the canon code and issues, not sure.

May 14, 2013 at 07:30 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I keep reading these video threads thinking it will sink in or rub off on me but it never does. It is fun seeing people excited about something I doubt I'll ever figure out how to use. I guess I'm just a stills photographer, but as I said I read each thread hoping to learn. Carry on!

May 14, 2013 at 07:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

interesting high iso raw video test above
ISO6400 video is pretty mind blowing

May 14, 2013 at 09:58 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:

interesting high iso raw video test above
ISO6400 video is pretty mind blowing

Agreed...the candle's light gets "blown out" staring with the ISO 3200 clip in H.264 while the RAW holds it in check all the way through ISO 12,800 while pulling up the shadows. Very exciting developments.

Direct link here...

Canon 5D Mark III Raw vs H.264 - Low Light on Vimeo:

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

May 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
tsproul1

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Most high end, high quality products are overbuilt. This gives them longevity when they are used under "normal" conditions. For a dslr - 5DIII or 1Dx, that means making the sensor, buses, processors etc. all capable of doing much more than taking stills. This way, the camera is very robust and has a nearly infinite lifespan. Crippled? Perhaps. High quality and very robust - for sure.

It is like a car. If you have a 40 hp car, you can still do 75 mph on the freeway but you might only get 50k - 100k miles before the powertrain disintegrates. If you have a 300 hp car, you can do 75 mph on the freeway for 300k+ miles with little perceivable change in the powertrain. If you constantly do 150mph with your 300 hp car, it will only make it 50k miles.

I suspect the people pushing their 5DIII to 150 mph with RAW video will find their 5DIII life is shortened from 300k+ to only 50k miles.

May 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

tsproul1 wrote:
Most high end, high quality products are overbuilt. This gives them longevity when they are used under "normal" conditions. For a dslr - 5DIII or 1Dx, that means making the sensor, buses, processors etc. all capable of doing much more than taking stills. This way, the camera is very robust and has a nearly infinite lifespan. Crippled? Perhaps. High quality and very robust - for sure.

It is like a car. If you have a 40 hp car, you can still do 75 mph on the freeway but you might only get 50k - 100k miles before the powertrain disintegrates. If
...Show more

We will see. But remember they are just tapping into the same liveview stream that the camera normally puts out anyway and they are skipping the entire h.264 engine, so, in some ways they are doing less, they are pushing to the card at max but so does all-i video at times and holding the shutter button down for stills. Maybe heat will be a bare trace less or the same?

Edited on May 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
woos
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

tsproul1 wrote:

It is like a car. If you have a 40 hp car, you can still do 75 mph on the freeway but you might only get 50k - 100k miles before the powertrain disintegrates. If
...Show more

Electronics are not the same as mechanical parts when it comes to wear. The only things that would matter are voltage (which isn't going to be effected) and heat (which might). But chips can take a ton of heat before anything bad happens to them, especially if they aren't being over volted. There's no way this is going to damage the camera.

May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

woos wrote:
Electronics are not the same as mechanical parts when it comes to wear. The only things that would matter are voltage (which isn't going to be effected) and heat (which might). But chips can take a ton of heat before anything bad happens to them, especially if they aren't being over volted. There's no way this is going to damage the camera.

Only thing that has sounded like it will melt so far is my poor PC taking 40-50 minutes to turn each 49 second long DNG streams into AVIs. Fans go crazy on the PC. (not sure if I have the cores tuned properly in AE maybe it can go faster (and melt quicker ) and I am also running these files and the AE scratch disc off the same drive which is external and USB 2.0 which is possibly slowing things down too; if I had 16GB of memory instead of 8GB it might well go faster too).

May 15, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
Only thing that has sounded like it will melt so far is my poor PC taking 40-50 minutes to turn each 49 second long DNG streams into AVIs. Fans go crazy on the PC. (not sure if I have the cores tuned properly in AE maybe it can go faster (and melt quicker ) and I am also running these files and the AE scratch disc off the same drive which is external and USB 2.0 which is possibly slowing things down too; if I had 16GB of memory instead of 8GB it might well go faster too).

SB, it will be interesting to use the hack at action (example - a baseball batter) to emulate a 24 fps still camera. A couple of seconds of footage will provide 48 choices of ball/bat positions at similar resolution as the original 1D, with the processing leeway of RAW. Of course, you've to discard the 180-degree shutter and just shoot at very fast Tv to freeze the action.

May 15, 2013 at 01:41 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Liquidstone wrote:
SB, it will be interesting to use the hack at action (example - a baseball batter) to emulate a 24 fps still camera. A couple of seconds of footage will provide 48 choices of ball/bat positions at similar resolution as the original 1D, with the processing leeway of RAW. Of course, you've to discard the 180-degree shutter and just shoot at very fast Tv to freeze the action.

yeah

And I think you can even hit 1280x720 at 60fps continuous (and with say 1/8000th shutter that could make for some cool nabs).

May 15, 2013 at 01:49 AM
super35
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Not quite up to 1D resolution (2,464 x 1,648). The 5D3 does 1920x1280 at 24fps raw. Still plenty good enough for web and some print, and since it is raw no doubt it will out resolve a 1D jpeg.

May 15, 2013 at 01:53 AM
alexdi
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

And so begins the debate whether a guy picking his shots with a slow camera is better than the one picking his frames from a video stream.

May 15, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

super35 wrote:
Not quite up to 1D resolution (2,464 x 1,648). The 5D3 does 1920x1280 at 24fps raw. Still plenty good enough for web and some print, and since it is raw no doubt it will out resolve a 1D jpeg.

It does hit 3592x1320 in the 1:1 crop modes, albeit with some dropped frames, according to the eoshd article. This is 4.74 MP with an odd 1:2.72 aspect ratio. Next res is 2880 x 1320 (3.8 MP, 1:2.18 AR) with no implied dropped frames (ergo 4.0 - 4.1 MP might be stable).

The same article says the hack can also do digital panning (moving the frame around the sensor), so down the line it should be fairly simple to do a 3:2 or 4:3 AR still image at 4 MP.

May 15, 2013 at 02:03 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

alexdi wrote:
And so begins the debate whether a guy picking his shots with a slow camera is better than the one picking his frames from a video stream.

You don't get terribly good AF though for sports though (something fixed like a batter or pitcher works though).
And the bat might twist into a U heck even in stills mode the bat doesn't stay quite straight.

May 15, 2013 at 02:07 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.