FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

(interestingly, if I am not mistaken, and I very, very well maybe, I think a main someone involved in this project dates back to the early 80s and the original home computers with custom chipsets revolution and is one of the original hackers dating back to those 8bit days of Atari and magazines like Analog and Antic)

(I really need to get into this project. Just downloaded the source code and compiler. A lot to catch up on though before diving in.)

May 14, 2013 at 01:47 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

With no exaggeration the 5D3 just became a classic camera that will go down in the annals of DSLR and probably cinema history I suspect.

May 14, 2013 at 02:27 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
(I really need to get into this project. Just downloaded the source code and compiler. A lot to catch up on though before diving in.)

Any idea yet how easy to use the hacked rawshooter in the field?

May 14, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I'd be surprised if Canon don't respond to this given their reaction to ML over the concept of a 4K hack for the 1Dx.

May 14, 2013 at 04:38 AM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Beni wrote:
I'd be surprised if Canon don't respond to this given their reaction to ML over the concept of a 4K hack for the 1Dx.

That ML's code tinkerings are driving unit sales for both bodies and lenses...which methinks is the case here...I do not think we'll see Canon let-loose the lawyers anytime soon. In the scramble for global market share a vibrant product-hacker community is corporate insurance against user-base erosion. Nikon and SONY wish they could have such luck.

skibum5 wrote:
EH, whatever, but check this out (D: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212647

Seriously YOU will flip out beyond all belief. It has a mega-crop mode 14bit RAW video with perfect quality so you can basically shoot birds as if you were cropping 1920x1080 out of 100% view of a full RAW!! So instead of needing 1200mm to get a little bird taking up 1/100th of the center of your videos like now you might get them taking up almost the entire frame! With great DR! Amazing 24fps video!

Hi skibum5,

Being able to crop full size still images is one of the great aspects of still-image photography, and one aspect sorely lacking when shooting video. Being freed up from default sensor usage for video capture is big news, indeed, and I share in your enthusiasm over its prospects and implications. That ML can get this working without dropped-frame stuttering and deliver anything better than the default 8-bit video offerings I will definitely drop some coin for their firmware revision.

As for your missing thread, perhaps Fred can chime in as to why that occurred.

Anyhoo, thanks for the continuing heads-ups on these news items!

Jimmy G

May 14, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

jimmy462 wrote:

That ML's code tinkerings are driving unit sales for both bodies and lenses...which methinks is the case here...I do not think we'll see Canon let-loose the lawyers anytime soon. In the scramble for global market share a vibrant product-hacker community is corporate insurance against user-base erosion. Nikon and SONY wish they could have such luck.

Hi skibum5,

Being able to crop full size still images is one of the great aspects of still-image photography, and one aspect sorely lacking when shooting video. Being freed up from default sensor usage for video capture is big news, indeed, and I share in your
...Show more

Hi Jimmy,
His thread was merged here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212369/1#11551627

May 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
because it is too awesome and mind blowing for that

You have to download the source code and compile it yourself for the very latest codes although some these pre-alphas have been posted up in one of the magic lantern forums, not quite the latest code but enough to do some of this. I don't have the link to the thread off-hand.

No, you need to revert to the previous firmware and get rid of 1.2.1.

skibum5,
Were you able to revert latest Canon's firmware?
How about compiling the code? In other words...did you get this working on your 5D3?

May 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Jimmy,
His thread was merged here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212369/1#11551627

Thanks, Fred!

May 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Liquidstone wrote:

Easy enough. So long as you have a sherpa with you to carry all the CF cards you need .

May 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Liquidstone wrote:

Although actually being serious I'm not sure yet since I didn't get to test it yet. I don't know if the zebra and focus peaking are there. For all I know you have to guess at everything and it's tricky (although the same videos seem to show low DOF stuff in focus....).

May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fred Miranda wrote:
skibum5,

Yes, contrary to the word put out there it's kinda trivial. Format card in camera. Copy 1.1.3 onto card. Hit the update firmware button. Done.

How about compiling the code? In other words...did you get this working on your 5D3? :

No and no. Didn't even have time to install the compiler yet and it might take a while to figure it out and how they have arranged the code directories and everything. And I didn't try any of the pre-compiled pre-alphas yet. Maybe later.

May 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

So ummm, mind uploading 1.1.3 somewhere?

May 14, 2013 at 01:52 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17976

has a bit more aliasing now and maybe a touch less filmic and more video-like but the DR is so much better and the detail too that I think it's more than worth it

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 02:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

corndog wrote:
So ummm, mind uploading 1.1.3 somewhere?

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

May 14, 2013 at 02:27 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
http://pel.hu/eoscard/

That's a sweet little program for making CF card bootable with Magic Lantern, thanks for posting it! However, it's not 1.1.3, though I think I've found it, as well as 1.1.2. Looking through cached Canon pages, this 1.1.3 appears to be the exact same file size, so that's promising....

May 14, 2013 at 02:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fred Miranda wrote:
skibum5,
How about compiling the code? In other words...did you get this working on your 5D3?

For some reason it won't seem to load the raw recorder module. Everything seems to be installed correctly, but the load modules command is doing nothing for me.

May 14, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
For some reason it won't seem to load the raw recorder module. Everything seems to be installed correctly, but the load modules command is doing nothing for me.

I was hoping you would get this working...I didn't want to get my hands dirty.

May 14, 2013 at 03:56 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fred Miranda wrote:
I was hoping you would get this working...I didn't want to get my hands dirty.

I think it was a bad code branch now I have it loaded using a different source. Now to see what happens....

May 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

definitely seem buggy and odd but I think I got a few short clips. It seemed to max out even on my 32GB sandisk 1000x card way too easily. Maybe I'm on a dicey code branch. I will see what the clips have in them.

May 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
definitely seem buggy and odd but I think I got a few short clips. It seemed to max out even on my 32GB sandisk 1000x card way too easily. Maybe I'm on a dicey code branch. I will see what the clips have in them.

Seems some clips stopped at 4GB, maybe a limit was set. Yikes. I only shot clips for a few seconds it seemed and some are 4GB. Yikes. Yikes.

Crazy intermediate workflow with over 1000 files generated for a few seconds of footage .
Still we've seen the amazing results so it should be worth it and there is probably some sort of nice semi-compressed high bit depth format to save them in for archiving and actual editing.

May 14, 2013 at 04:28 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.